Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting the Mountune MR300 upgrade kit for my focus,question is: is it worth it over a stage 3 tune? What kind of power difference will I see? Ps i currently have he MP275.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Wait -

What are your goals first? A little bit faster daily driver, no track duty not even on occasion and no Auto X?

MR300 IMHO is not that cost effective at all. It's so-so on 91 and slightly better on 93. The biggest thing is you will not hit 300 whp on pump gas alone and not on the included m-Tune.

If none of these factors bother you and the above statement applies then by all means.

Fit and Finish are impeccable. Sort of expensive though for what ends up being about 30 hp peak gain.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAlhC3Xv2P5/

Reactions: oldloudmouth

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Faster daily is my goal, and wanting to stay as reliable as possible. I already have he MP275 So figured I can just buy the remaining parts needed and jump to the MR300 but watching that link makes me reconsider...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Faster daily is my goal, and wanting to stay as reliable as possible. I already have he MP275 So figured I can just buy the remaining parts needed and jump to the MR300 but watching that link makes me reconsider...
Mountune's exhaust and down pipe are a bit expensive. I have a Thermal R&D exhaust, it's beautiful and NO DRONE. It uses the stock mounting points for the OE down pipe.

Mountune MP275 Power Package for Ford Focus ST - Page 3 of 3 - DSPORT Magazine

D Sport's dynojet on 91 octane with MP275 and Mountune cat-back.

E30/E40 tune will make more power than just adding a turbo-back exhaust, it will make even more with a turbo back.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Thinking about getting the Mountune MR300 upgrade kit for my focus,question is: is it worth it over a stage 3 tune? What kind of power difference will I see? Ps i currently have he MP275.
I don't thing there are stages in tuning but mountune sells 3 different power packages. Basic is the MP275 then there is MR300 and the lately released MR410. Yes over 400 hp for the ST :)

You could have any race cat and cat back exhaust and match it to MR300 calibration. Also randy does a custom tune that has more optimised output than trademark MR300 calibration. From feedback of guys who jumped from MP275 to MR300 they said it was worth it.

Reactions: FocusMan!

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you already have the MP275 I say upgrading to the MR300 would be a good path. It dynos around 270/350 torque based off of reviews and videos of it on the web. I'm sure you can push a tad more like 10HP/15ftlbs by mixing ethanol or having a slightly more aggressive tune; but Mountune's tunes and parts are paramount.

If you're looking to have a reliable daily driver and not really have to watch your engine monitors as well as just flash n go then I say upgrade to the MR300.

And of course the MRX+ upgrade is for people who want to go beyond the MR300 and have some level of custom tuning tune with a bigger turbo.

I have the MP275 components but had a custom E40 tune. Switched back to my MP275 tune due to working at longer distance and didn't feel like mixing fuel anymore. In addition, I was getting the random P0300 codes back when I was stock, but was popping up again while on the tune. Would rather deal with the dealer with the MP275 installed with 20K miles as opposed to my E40 map.

I will be switching to the MR300 if I decide to keep the car later down the road, but I have been extremely happy with a Mountune's parts and support. My exhaust gets plenty of compliments on how it sounds and how beautiful it looks underneath the car when in the shop.

My buddy's MR300 pulls just as hard as another car I've been in with another tuner stage 3 map. Do what works for you and your goals. Nothing wrong with the MR300 map, but if you want a bit more down the road I say grab a Cobb AP. If you plan on stopping at around 300BHP which is perfect for this car then upgrade to MR300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have no idea what codes people are getting.

My car is a 2016, it's been on E30, now E40 since the first week of ownership and I just clicked over 32,000 miles.

With a tune only I have progressed from 13.96 down to 13.14 in seven and half months. I was making just as much as all the bolt-on parts you can buy on 93 octane and we only have 91 in California.

It has been up and down the state, over 30 passes on it and driven for Uber every weekend. If that's not reliable I don't know what is and people make too much of custom tunes. I would question the person you got the tune from if you have problems like codes being generated.

You could call my car Stage 2.5 as I have everything but the intercooler. Stage bah, it has bolt-ons...

Reliability is of utmost importance, a point I will prove later this summer and that's all I'll say about it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My tunes were paramount and were not the cause of my codes being thrown. Randy has tuned plenty members and many among the highest horsepower builds without an issue. The tune was well within the safer range but made plenty of power.

If you read my post you'd noticed that I was getting these codes before I was even tuned. In fact, there are dozens of members with '15-'16s that have had the random misfire code from bone stock to fully bolted on.

The issues were and still are under investigation to my knowledge by Ford engineering, but honestly I'll be trading to a RS in a year so being fully bolted with E30 isn't necessary for me. I rather ride the warranty out with the MP275 and then sell the car later with all parts and documentation.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Also, my post isn't to knock the reliability of custom tunes, but if the OP already has a mTune then the MR300 upgrade is a worthy and reliable path for him to go with.

One isn't more reliable than the other when considering all the possible variables but I'd image a fully bolted Mountune car would get less hassle at the dealership than one pieced together with a custom tune.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry for the highjack. I'm considering the mp275. Wondering what you guys think of it? It does seem like it leaves you looking for more.
Do you care about your warranty? MP275 I believe is the only Ford certified performance upgrade pack besides the Ford Racing ones.

If not then you can probably do better power/price wise. It is important to consider what your end-goal is for the car? Daily driver? AutoX or serious track time? Drag? Other?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The car is pretty new so I would like to keep the warranty intact. Daily driver and occasional track days. I'm willing to spend the money if the gains are some what noticeable. If people are completely dissatisfied I'll do something else later. I do have an extended warranty?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I have a lot of Mountune parts. I think they have the best quality parts. Never a problem, great fit and finish. I have helped a lot of people install the FMIC from others and all have been difficult to some degree. The Mountune FMIC, intakes, hoses, BOV, charge pipes, etc. all good to install.

I have had Steeda, Ford Racing, Mountune and Stratified Tunes. I currently have a Stratified E-30 tune. I find Stratified to be the best tune of all, hands down. About 300hp with the Mountune parts and some other goodies.

Frankly it is all a matter of personal taste and preference. Do what you feel best with after talking to a lot of people.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aren't the tuners that come in those kits locked out to preserve the warranty? If they are he would be locked into their 275 - 300 kit or buying another tuner as well. That's the biggest problem I see with these kits.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Aren't the tuners that come in those kits locked out to preserve the warranty? If they are he would be locked into their 275 - 300 kit or buying another tuner as well. That's the biggest problem I see with these kits.
Nope as the MR300 doesn't preserve the warranty at all. It is a proprietary accessport with their own firmware, but once upgraded from the MP275 calibration to the MR300 any illusion of warranty is gone once the down pipe is installed and the more aggressive calibration.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Nope as the MR300 doesn't preserve the warranty at all. It is a proprietary accessport with their own firmware, but once upgraded from the MP275 calibration to the MR300 any illusion of warranty is gone once the down pipe is installed and the more aggressive calibration.
So MP275 or M-FR1 kit + cat back exhaust + FMIC w hoses = Ford Performance 3/36K powertrain warranty intact but add a
downpipe and it's voided??

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
So MP275 or M-FR1 kit + cat back exhaust + FMIC w hoses = Ford Performance 3/36K powertrain warranty intact but add a
downpipe and it's voided??
Per what Ford will and will not cover when installed by an ASE certified mechanic and registered yes, but it's not just the down pipe that makes the warranty coverage null and void, it's the more aggressive calibration that goes along with the down pipe that is part of it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts