Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a 2015 Focus ST with 37k miles on it. It has a Mountune MR300 kit installed (at the dealership) since pretty much new.

The current owner has put 29k miles on it (he bought the car with 8,000 miles on it from the dealer,) and said that he pretty much always runs regular gas. He is an older gentleman and I don't get the impression that he is out street racing with the thing, but I'm sure he gives it a good run through its paces every now and again.

My question is... could this have caused any issues/damage? I took the car out for a test drive, and while it was peppy, I was expecting more from an MR300 tuned Focus. The fact that it's running 87 octane would likely explain some of that.

Does the tune "de-tune" itself if it is run on regular gas? Knock sensor retard timing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Any idea what sort of power penalty I would have been seeing with regular gas? I've driven standard Focus STs and this felt possibly a bit more sprightly, but not like 300 hp and 350 lb ft...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here - The ECU would pull timing and limit boost on regular octane fuel. If you are running the right map for that octane then you should be ok with not worrying about the fuel being run doing any serious damage.

I'm not real familiar with the Mountune package but I seem to remember it coming with an accessport. So do your research and if it doesn't have one and should - then get it for sure. Its married to your ECU and worthless to the owner without the car unless he unmarried it(uninstalled it along with all the maps), and with the car being that modified without being tuned for the mods you could really do some damage. I agree with @MainlyMustangs for sure though - If you cant check it out yourself then Id take it to a mechanic and have them check it out. They should be able to inspect the valves with a bore scope to see if cleaning is warranted as well as validate everything else on the car. The owner should have no problem with you taking it for an thorough mechanical inspection before pulling the trigger. Good luck brother and look forward to some pics!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has a Mountune "mTune" handset. I assume he is running the MR300 tune that would be preloaded on the handset. Not sure what that tune does with 87 octane though...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Probably has the MP275 tune (on the MR300 package) if it was installed new at the dealership...the MR300 flash would void the new car powertrain warranty while the MP275 flash would still give you 3/36K... the only difference between the two kits (MP275 v MR300) is the ecu flash and adding the downpipe/exhaust/hoses

Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You should be able to verify the map currently running on the access port within the tuning menu. Would most likely have something related to the package installed (mp275/mp300/etc...) If Mountune is like COBB or any other tuner that uses the Cobb Accessport then as long as the map is installed on the access port then flashing the ecu with it wont be a problem. Also - I know Cobb has specific OTS (Off the shelf/AKA Canned Tunes) maps for specific fuel grades (maybe Mountune does but I'm not sure - you could call their support to confirm though. Hope this helps dude.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like Mountune sell the "update" for $325 if it is in fact a 275 flash currently. I'm still somewhat worried that engine issues could have occurred, but if it has the 275 tune, and Ford backs it, they must assume that some idiots will run regular gas in it...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
It looks like Mountune sell the "update" for $325 if it is in fact a 275 flash currently. I'm still somewhat worried that engine issues could have occurred, but if it has the 275 tune, and Ford backs it, they must assume that some idiots will run regular gas in it...
you really need to look and see what parts are on the car and compare to the Mountune website (take pics if possible)...as oVrKiLL said above, the map will show in the Mountune handset that comes with the kit..he couldve bought a MR300 kit and had it installed with the MP275 map for warranty purposes (this is what I wouldve done on a new car) and then reflashed/upgraded at home later with a MR300 map.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The ECU will pull power if it detects bad gas, but this only goes so far. If the dealer has the accessport handy, you can see what the OAR value is like. I am guessing it will be pegged near +1. If Ford says you need to use premium gas and you (or the previous driver) did not, they will not cover it under warranty. The Ford performance tunes used to come with a sticker to put on the gas cap proclaiming 91+ octane only. In the description of all the Mountune tunes they all say to run premium.

Could there of been engine damage? Maybe. Generally these types of things sort them selves out in short order, so if it's been running for awhile I would venture to say it's fine. If it is an older person they may not have ever pushed the car and nothing will have happened.

Or if you are that worried about it just go onto the next one. There are lots of STs on the market these days. There will always be another one.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I so want the MR300 kit with a Quaife LSD!!!! ~$3900 for everything right now from Mountune with the Holiday17 discount! my credit card finger is getting itchy lol

Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Registered
455 Posts
I so want the MR300 kit with a Quaife LSD!!!! ~$3900 for everything right now from Mountune with the Holiday17 discount! my credit card finger is getting itchy lol
MR300 isn’t compatible with the 2017s and Randy said theyre pulling the plug on the MR300 so if youve got a 2016 or older you’d better act fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It has ALL of the MR300 equipment on it. I made sure to check. It was all installed at the dealership for one of the sales managers or something. They drove the car for 8000 miles, then the current owner purchased the car. He doesn't seem to know anything about it at all. He doesn't seem to care either, to be honest. He bought it because it was a fully loaded 2015 with 8k miles.

I will have to have him check the Accessport and see what it says.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
MR300 isn’t compatible with the 2017s and Randy said theyre pulling the plug on the MR300 so if youve got a 2016 or older you’d better act fast!

WTH?? why wouldnt a 2017 be compatible with the tune? What about the MP275? I would get the MR300 kit with a MP275 map since I would want it installed under the warranty and would just remap it up to the MR300 tune at a later date.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts

see if you can get a copy of a MR300 tuned dyno pull from them and post up, I'm curious what the graph looks like compared to the MP275. I know they claim 300/350 for the MR300 but they dont post any dyno charts of the kit on the website and i haven been able to find any on the web. btw, the site says 2013-2017 for the MR300 kit...

https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune-MR300-Performance-Upgrade-Focus-ST-p/2363-300-aa.htm

mountune MR300 Complete Performance Upgrade - Focus ST 2013-2017 2363-300-AA

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hard parts will all fit but the tune isn’t compatible with the 2017s..

well it looks like my original plan would still work of buying the MR300 kit loaded with a MP275 tune..I just wouldnt be able to reflash it later with MR300 calibrations. Perhaps they will eventually come up with a better calibrated map to match all the parts in the kit and offer it as a upgrade at a later date.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Damn that MR300 kit is a LOT of money for what you could piece together for a lot less, does it even still get covered under the 36,000 mile power train warranty or nah?
It is nice, and I really like their front mount intercooler.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Isn't the powertrain warranty 60k miles?
Not when any of the performance packs are installed and certainly not with the mp300 pack. Only up to the mp275 gets covered by the warranty, which is technically backed by Ford Performance.

http://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

This Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Performance and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts