Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started logging my mph vs rpm to get a baseline for comparison when I get a tune. Maybe better to film a steady pull. I chose these rpms because that's where I predominantly at am
I would be very interested in knowing yours. Specify if stock or tuned. Test on flat.
Mine is 2016 stock except Mountune Clubsport suspension. 2 months old/4200 miles.
Have white, which should give me a couple more mph. Since the sun's rays are pushing vs black, which pulls the rays. :D

1st. 4.0k. 22mph
2nd. 2.5k. 23mph
2nd. 3.0k. 27
2nd. 3.5k. 33
3rd. 3.0k. 41
3rd. 4.0k. 52
4th. 3.5k. 61
4th. 4.0k. 70
5th. 3.0k. 65
5th. 3.5k. 77
6th. 3.0k. 79
6th. 3.5k. 92

Thanks!

Registered
I'm confused. This will be the same for us all aside from slight variations from people running different tire sizes. Tuning doesn't change gear ratios. 馃

Registered
^whs

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Maybe I am. Confused that is.
Thought tune would give me more power. Therefore at said rpm the mph should be higher than stock.
If tune gives me same mph at same rpm, then nothing changes? That means everyone, no matter of tune or other factor(s), specific rpm at certain gear = same mph?
Maybe brain fart, or I have no idea how increased power/hp works.

Please explain my stupidity.

Thanks.

Registered
You go through the RPM and mph faster. That's what more power does. Faster acceleration.

Registered
X gear + Y rpm = Z mph always, but just quicker?
Yup. Especially since we have a manual transmission, the RPM in a given gear is determined a) the ratio (how many times the engine spins vs. how many times the gear's output spins) of the gear, and b) the ratio of the final drive, AKA the differential. These are mechanically set and can't be changed without spending $$$$$$$$$$$$.

What you're looking for is how quickly those RPMs can increase at full throttle.

Don't be too embarrassed. We've all had to learn this stuff. It's just your turn now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
"Don't be too embarrassed. We've all had to learn this stuff. It's just your turn now."

I've done worse, like driving off with the fuel pump. Still after over 20 years, I always double check whenever I fuel. Ha-ha.

Thanks all!

Premium Member
Haha At first I was doubting my own understanding of this stuff.

Do not feel dumb we all have these moments, its only obvious once you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts