Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
My drive to the in-laws last night was around 100 miles, kept the cruise on at 70mph and reset the average mpg before setting off. Figure on arriving is 31mpg. This is pretty much what I got from the titanium with 18" wheels fitted.

I'm more than happy with this. ???

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My last tank I got 26.2mpg and my commute is about 75% city.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@nuttysquirrel - in my experience the MS3 onboard computer was 4-5 mpg optimistic. I had 107k miles on mine....nearly all hwy reverse commute...and averaged 26.1 over the life of the car. I never saw more than 30mpg on any fill up...all numbers calculated with fuel log. So far my ST has been spot on with mpg on the on board computer.
Oh yeah, those were my actual calculations, not onboard. I would get an average 24-25mpg with 50/50 city/highway driving. Did a roadtrip of 3500mi and got 32mpg average over the whole thing.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I was getting the same before and after Torrie's tune. I drove from NC to PA 3 times before I installed the tune. Since the tune I have driven 3 times between the 2. Every time I get 28-31 miles per gallon depending on traffic and speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was getting the same before and after Torrie's tune. I drove from NC to PA 3 times before I installed the tune. Since the tune I have driven 3 times between the 2. Every time I get 28-31 miles per gallon depending on traffic and speed.
What's Torries tune?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Torrie's tune is an aftermarket tuner that you can purchase for the ST. Torrie is on this site as TMCPHAIL. His customer service is fantastic. He developed the tune and it works great. It gives the car more hp and torque
His tune is amazing, but his customer service is a thing of legend. It is legen-----wait for it....dary.

More power, better throttle response, better cooling, better mpg. Just better.

42...That's always the answer.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was getting 22ish in city driving with 87 octane gas. Now I'm getting 26ish with 93 octane. For the life of me I can't get anywhere near 32 on the highway.... Best i have been able to get on a 100 mile stint with cruise set at 69 was 27.6 mpg.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
i would love to know how you guys are getting this kind of mileage. mine has about 1200 miles now so it is broke in. i have been driving manuals a long time and was always able to beat the pea rating if i drove them really easy. i do a 50/50 mix of driving and expect i should see 26mph. i have been driving it extremely conservatively. shifting early and staying completely out of the boost while accelerating. the only time the boost gauge moves and its only to 4-5 psi is getting on the freeway. i coast as much as possible also. yet im only seeing 22mpg. what gives? i bought this so i would have a car i could have some fun with and still get decent mileage. but 22 from driving like grandma?? that's not even close to the 26 i should be seeing.

also i see lot about this guys tune. but zero info on how or where to buy it...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
i would love to know how you guys are getting this kind of mileage. mine has about 1200 miles now so it is broke in. i have been driving manuals a long time and was always able to beat the pea rating if i drove them really easy. i do a 50/50 mix of driving and expect i should see 26mph. i have been driving it extremely conservatively. shifting early and staying completely out of the boost while accelerating. the only time the boost gauge moves and its only to 4-5 psi is getting on the freeway. i coast as much as possible also. yet im only seeing 22mpg. what gives? i bought this so i would have a car i could have some fun with and still get decent mileage. but 22 from driving like grandma?? that's not even close to the 26 i should be seeing.

also i see lot about this guys tune. but zero info on how or where to buy it...
The tune is from Unleashed Tuning. Torrie designed the tune and it works great. You can contact him here on the forum as well. His username is TCMPHAIL

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/1154-sct-tune-unleashed-tuning.html

here is the link to the thread all about his tune

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Chrome_Rush, are you relying on the vehicle computer or are you doing the math yourself? If you don't reset the mileage computer after each fill-up your mileage will never seem to improve.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
thanks for the tune info. as for the mileage i am using the onboard but i reset it every fill up. it has gotten better. when i got it i couldn't seem to do better then 20. but i just needed to learn the car better. still 22 seems very low for the way im driving the car. usually when i drive a stick like this i can get 2-3 mph over the epa estimate. i get better mileage then this with my v6 5 speed ford tempo without even driving it conservatively.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
My on board computer always says 24-26. I do the math myself by dividing the miles per tank by the gallons need to fill the tank back up. By doing the math myself I average 27-30 at 75-80 mph on the highway

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
That mileage is definitely strange. Normally, most don't reset their mileage computer at fill up and that results in lower readings. I had a while there thatI was watching the MPG like a hawk but then I started to enjoy the car and my MPG went up als. I'm just over 3700miles and I'm averaging right around 25.5 to 26mpg and that's spirtited 50/50 driving. This car isn't happy going slow so you may want to liven up and see if the mileage does the same. Lastly, ignore the mileage and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
ya i did but the car into my fuelly app at the last fill up. when i fill it again in the next few days i will get a more accurate number. i figured the dash one was pretty accurate but i wanted to check it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
lol. normally i do very spirited driving. i just wanted to know what kind of mileage it was capable of. and im really disappointed with it. i got about 10mph in my truck but that was very spirited driving. i left a lot of rubber on the road and it was sideways at leat once a day. i would drive my v6 tempo the sane way and still would get 22 out of it. driving it like i am this st i could get high 20's out of that car all day. i will see what the app says at the next fill up i guess. i love the car but good mileage ratings is why i got it and its not even close to them.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
WTH? 10mph is spirited driving in your truck.....don't you mean 10mpg?

21 - 40 of 279 Posts