Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! Just for context, I drive around 100 miles a day commuting to work. When I bought the car, I knew what the gas mileage would be like, but didn't really mind. Still don't care too much, but I'm starting to wonder if there's any way to up my MPG. Specifically in modifications. I'm driving a little slower, not pushing the gas pedal (all the time), and get around 30mpg. Anything I can do to make the car more efficient? I'm assuming taking out the spare is a given, playing with the idea of removing the rear seats... anything else people know about?

·
Registered
206 Posts
If that serious about MPG with such a large amount of miles driven, you can get a set of narrow tires that are also low rolling resistance and lightweight wheels. If still stock or mostly stock, you can also step down from premium to mid-grade to save a couple bucks at the pump.
Aside from hypermiling driving techniques, this platform has limited opportunities for MPG gains in my view, but would love to be proven otherwise.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Trade for a hybrid! If you want good gas milage don't get a car made to be a little race car, get a prius. I never understand these threads. At least OP acknowledges its more for his ****s and giggles rather than something he really needs.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Have not really dug into it on this car yet, but the mods I have done on my f-150 for power/performance have actually increased fuel mileage if I drive it right. My theory...all these performance mods that increase power mean the engine is not working as hard to carry the same load/weight under normal driving conditions. Engine load is a hug part of fuel economy often overlooked.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You might be able to find a tuner that will do an eco mode for ya. That with lower rolling resistance tires at slightly higher psi and cut any spare weight from the vehicle you can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Conservative throttle and cruise control not going over 70 mph has gotten me a high of 38 on the highway. This was with Mobil1 and k&N filter (not sure of impact on mpg) After adding CNT exhaust it stayed about the same just sounded different. After adding CPE intercooler it dropped to a high of 35 usually staying around 30 mpg highway, 20s in town. AGS removed may be part of it. I drive 400 miles round trip to Chicago every 3 weeks and check mileage using amount to fill it back up and compare to onboard calculator, usually within 1.
In my view the car was not intended to be a high mpg vehicle.
2016 ST 7888 miles as of today.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure what mods you have already or not, but there are some things you can do.

First, lowering the car makes it cut through the air much better and more efficiently. Not many people mention this as a side effect, but it does increase efficiency.

Second, if you are tuned, try an eco map. I am Stratified tuned and I use the eco map (limited to 15psi), and I can consistently get 30mpg or higher if I can keep my foot out of it.

Third, Huzzah already mentioned it, but if you do not drive your car too hard you can always go to a 205 or 215 wide tire and go low rolling resistance tire. This will kill any sort of turn in feel or grip you had before but it will certainly help with mileage.

It all depends how hardcore you want to get, but you might be able to eek out a few extra mpg. You probably will NEVER see 38-40mpg on a consistent basis with this car, but for what it is, I think it is a nice balance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If it gets more than 20 mpg city, it's an economy car to me.
Lower it, get an eco tune, maybe a front splitter to keep air out from under the car. Remove excess weight, keep your fit out of it, and go slower (50-65)

·
Registered
113 Posts
im interested in this too, would different spark plugs make a difference? or stick with Stock? im also looking to do a tune with an eco map as a primary setup with a secondary map set for a bit more fun

·
Registered
311 Posts
im interested in this too, would different spark plugs make a difference? or stick with Stock? im also looking to do a tune with an eco map as a primary setup with a secondary map set for a bit more fun
No. Plugs won't make a difference.

If you are tuned, you should go one step colder like a Denso ITV22 or NGK LTR7IX-11. If you are fully bolted, go two steps colder like the Denso ITV24. This is more because of the extra heat that the engine is making and allowing the plug to dissipate the extra heat into the head vs. staying in the plug and melting it.

Reactions: JoshCrane1
1 - 12 of 12 Posts