Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know MPG comes up on here ALL THE TIME and I fully agree with the crowd who is on the "pay to play" side of the argument.

HOWEVER. My MPG the last few weeks has dropped 1mpg each week average.

I drive 31 miles to work and 31 miles home. 3 miles of backroads (2 stopsigns), 10 miles of small highway with some stop and go (45-60mph), and 18 miles of Freeway/Interstate travel at 70-80mph cruise control.

I always monitor fuel and negative ignition corrections. Quite often use cruise control and avoid stopping fully when I can. I do WOT pulls and passes maybe like once or twice a week at the most..but usually I'll get clear to work and back without ever doing over 3psi of boost.

My fuel average this week? 19.8

My average last week/tank? 20.3

My average 2 tanks ago? 21.4

I'm checking my spark plugs today because I didn't get to when I changed my oil the other day, but what kind of things can affect MPG because with this being my daily it's getting crazy expensive. Especially when I was getting 27mpg 5 months ago when I tuned it (and played ALL THE TIME) and 28 when I first got it last July. Should I reset my KAM or anything like that to help it a little? The only change recently was Pilot Super Sports. Occasionally I add a gallon of 53-83% ethanol flex fuel to fight knock on a full tank of 93. I know that hurts MPG a little also.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have no earthly idea how some guys are continuously getting way up in the 30's (and downright throw out the BS flag on averages of 34+), but yea, that seems low. I have zero engine mods (sans cat back) and can get 27, maybe 28, with mostly highway and a fair mix of city. Just based on what I've read on similar threads, I'm guessing the recommendation to remove and reload the tune is on its way. I would have personally recommended a CNTL>ALT>DELETE, I'm just not sure if you can do this with a tune installed. Maybe remove the tune and then do a reset and reload tune.

·
Registered
371 Posts
When you fill up do alittle math yourself and you will find that the car is very wrong.

Also run some fuel additive, your car will feel way happier and will see mpg get better. Carbon build up plagues our car, I run it a couple times a year.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Resetting the Kam couldn't hurt. When is the last time you checked tire pressure? Do you have a high flow filter that may need to be cleaned? Perhaps switch tunes for a bit too. This will be trial and error stuff. Oh yeah, check your plugs like you mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you fill up do alittle math yourself and you will find that the car is very wrong.

Also run some fuel additive, your car will feel way happier and will see mpg get better. Carbon build up plagues our car, I run it a couple times a year.
Yeah, my car is one of the rare cars that are usually 1mpg off, but in the opposite direction. So if I calculate those numbers above they are really 20.8, 21.3, 22.4...but still...that's quite awful for someone who doesn't play often and is highway only. For like 80% or more daily with cruise control. I'm still skeptical about fuel additive as being mainly snake oil

Reactions: Manoah

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Resetting the Kam couldn't hurt. When is the last time you checked tire pressure? Do you have a high flow filter that may need to be cleaned? Perhaps switch tunes for a bit too. This will be trial and error stuff. Oh yeah, check your plugs like you mentioned.
Check pressure frequently, was still 36 all around that weekend. I may clean the air filter..that might be a great point to try. I know Cobb filters are pre-oiled..I'm assuming that means I'm buying some oil and cleaner to do this properly? Or can it just be blown out or something?

Might try flashing to stock, KAM reset, then reflashing this tune again also. Just because none of this stuff hurts in any way.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah, my car is one of the rare cars that are usually 1mpg off, but in the opposite direction. So if I calculate those numbers above they are really 20.8, 21.3, 22.4...but still...that's quite awful for someone who doesn't play often and is highway only. For like 80% or more daily with cruise control. I'm still skeptical about fuel additive as being mainly snake oil
how long do you let your car ideal/warm up?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Check pressure frequently, was still 36 all around that weekend. I may clean the air filter..that might be a great point to try. I know Cobb filters are pre-oiled..I'm assuming that means I'm buying some oil and cleaner to do this properly? Or can it just be blown out or something?

Might try flashing to stock, KAM reset, then reflashing this tune again also. Just because none of this stuff hurts in any way.
oil filters have to be cleaned in a specific way and you probably have to buy a cobb cleaner/oil kit.

I just switched to an AEM dry flow and I am trying it out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how long do you let your car ideal/warm up?
Depending on the flow of the morning, 1.5 minutes (sometimes 1m if I'm really rushing) to 7-8 minutes if I have time to go out and start it. Usually about 2.5 though to be honest.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Might be part of the Cruise Control? I've noticed ours can be pretty aggressive with the throttle on it. Especially if you live in an area with a lot of hills. I try not to use CC if possible cause it always makes my MPG plummet compared to what I can do by myself

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might be part of the Cruise Control? I've noticed ours can be pretty aggressive with the throttle on it. Especially if you live in an area with a lot of hills. I try not to use CC if possible cause it always makes my MPG plummet compared to what I can do by myself
This is true. Certain times I have noticed this also and if I notice my car randomly get loud and push 3psi of boost up a small hill in 6th I'll usually turn it off and downshift or accept that fact I'm gonna slow down a few mph to avoid holding boost for a few hundred yards or something.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oil filters have to be cleaned in a specific way and you probably have to buy a cobb cleaner/oil kit.

I just switched to an AEM dry flow and I am trying it out.
Lol on Cobbs website, $14 for cleaning kit. Okay, sweet! Shipping: $11

Gotta be joking.

Edit: FSWerks-

$14.95

Shipping- $14.66

WHY

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Lol on Cobbs website, $14 for cleaning kit. Okay, sweet! Shipping: $11

Gotta be joking.

Edit: FSWerks-

$14.95

Shipping- $14.66

WHY
Check amazon?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check amazon?
Only K&N mainly that I saw on there. Which I'm sure is the same thing and probably what I'm gonna go with in the end.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This is true. Certain times I have noticed this also and if I notice my car randomly get loud and push 3psi of boost up a small hill in 6th I'll usually turn it off and downshift or accept that fact I'm gonna slow down a few mph to avoid holding boost for a few hundred yards or something.
Yeah it goes nuts trying to keep the same speed.... Mine has peaked out for a split second before I clutched in to turn it off lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Only K&N mainly that I saw on there. Which I'm sure is the same thing and probably what I'm gonna go with in the end.
It sounds dumb but try checking autoparts stores near you.. I was able to find a cleaning kit for a reasonable price.. I wish I could remember the amount I paid for though as it was a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Depending on the flow of the morning, 1.5 minutes (sometimes 1m if I'm really rushing) to 7-8 minutes if I have time to go out and start it. Usually about 2.5 though to be honest.
Idling will kill MPG and you aren't doing any favors to the car by doing so. Even in winter I only start it up and idle long enough to scrape the ice/snow off.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Idling will kill MPG and you aren't doing any favors to the car by doing so. Even in winter I only start it up and idle long enough to scrape the ice/snow off.
Don't worry, I'm on that team as well. I was one of the annoying people on Facebook that shared the video to tell people to stop warming up their cars 10 minutes. The only reason I let mine warm for a minute or two is to avoid sloppy shifting when cold. My 2nd and reverse gears don't like to cooperate when cold. Dang junk syncros

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
104 Posts

what type of additive? fuel injector cleaner?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drove from Buffalo to Maryland, used cruise control all the way @ around 74 mph averaged 24.7mpg :/

2013 with 50k

1 - 20 of 66 Posts