Ford Focus ST Forum banner

161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Yes, the Cobb AP can pull the codes for you without being installed. It will do this for any car now given you installed the latest updates a couple months back.

Once you have the codes google it or post it back here. No need to pay anyone for the diagnostics just get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
You probably need to deactivate it. Your Cobb AP should be able to read and clear codes. From what I have read I think it can do this without being married to your car (but I have never done it with an unmarried AP). If not, your local auto parts store will read the code for free. I would start there if you are trying to avoid the dealer charge (which is ridiculous IMO).

Alternatively a good ODB reader and a smartphone app like torque or dash command are great (cheap) options for code reading.
I think I'll go get it cleared at the local auto store then wait and see if it comes back on. How long should I wait for the CEL to pop back on before I'm confident the gas cap was the culprit? Hours? Days?

I want to install my tune but want this 100% resolved first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Yes, the Cobb AP can pull the codes for you without being installed. It will do this for any car now given you installed the latest updates a couple months back.

Once you have the codes google it or post it back here. No need to pay anyone for the diagnostics just get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm 100% unfamiliar with the device. All I was going to go on for install was the directions that came with it but checking and clearing codes without marrying it is beyond me. Easy?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Checking without marrying should be easy. I assume it is nearly identical to checking codes while married only with different menu options on the main screen (meaning plug it in, scroll down to troubleshooting, select read codes). After you have read the code and are confident it is fuel tank related (or something else that you don't want to take it to the dealer for), you can clear the code. If it is something you want the dealer to see, then leave it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Side note, what's minimum requirements for a stage 2 tune, and what gains are expected over stage 1? Stage 1 custom from Randy is like 20 hp 50 tq, right?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #166

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey, think my fmic arrives next week so I'll be making the jump to stage 2. I've never tuned though.

Do I need to download anything first onto my cpu to make it compatible with the ap3? So I need to do anything besides plug it into my car and go through the install process? I'll be data logging so I'll just follow the sticky on that.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A newbish question here...

I'm likely going to grab the Mountune turboback exhaust with the current Grand Opening sale, so that's going to require grabbing an AP as well (to tune for the downpipe). Likely the only other major performance mod I'm planning in the foreseeable future is an intercooler, and it likely would not be within the window of the sale. It would be later this year.

So, if I pick up the exhaust an a Cobb AP set for aftermarket exhaust but stock IC, what is the process of tuning for the IC later? Is that just an email to Mountune/Randy and $149 when I'm ready?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd like to jump in on the Sale as well, but I have a 2016 and I want the MP 275 tune package, when will we know if this works on 2016 model for sure?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've recently purchased a COBB APv3 on ebay.
Is it possible to get the custom calibration for that? Or is it really restricted to those who have bought the AP via Mountune?

Getapatalked

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A newbish question here...

I'm likely going to grab the Mountune turboback exhaust with the current Grand Opening sale, so that's going to require grabbing an AP as well (to tune for the downpipe). Likely the only other major performance mod I'm planning in the foreseeable future is an intercooler, and it likely would not be within the window of the sale. It would be later this year.

So, if I pick up the exhaust an a Cobb AP set for aftermarket exhaust but stock IC, what is the process of tuning for the IC later? Is that just an email to Mountune/Randy and $149 when I'm ready?
Short answer is it doesn't require a tune if you add an IC but you wouldn't me making the most of it if you didn't tune for it. Not much needs to change for the map but yes a $149 calibration from Mountune would get you setup.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'd like to jump in on the Sale as well, but I have a 2016 and I want the MP 275 tune package, when will we know if this works on 2016 model for sure?
Email Mountune. They don't really respond it do any forum stuff anymore. There's really no reason it wouldn't support it in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've recently purchased a COBB APv3 on ebay.
Is it possible to get the custom calibration for that? Or is it really restricted to those who have bought the AP via Mountune?

Getapatalked
You can get the custom calibration from Mountune regardless of where you got your AP from.

The only tunes that require purchase from Mountune are the mp275/mr300 which are canned tunes (like Cobb OTS staged tunes). Those are special firmware APs that are not at all like the Cobb APs.

161 - 175 of 175 Posts