Ford Focus ST Forum banner

141 - 160 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I contacted Randy directly, the 45 days starts when you receive your ap3 from mountune.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Well there it is, however that said I think an edit to the AP page is in order. This is directly from mountunes AP page

For those who require additional support, the mountune ECU calibration can be optimized further with data logging and program revisions at no extra charge. Engine performance is enhanced by reviewing data logging files along with calibration revisions based on feedback from the end user. The duration of the calibration and file revision period is 45 days from the time the first file is sent to the customer. Multiple calibrations can also be requested during this time period. Once the 45 day period has expired the custom calibration period ends.

Don't get me wrong I'm very thankful for the deal and to have my car tuned by Randy for me 45 days should be plenty of time I just think this part could have been a little more clear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well there it is, however that said I think an edit to the AP page is in order. This is directly from mountunes AP page

For those who require additional support, the mountune ECU calibration can be optimized further with data logging and program revisions at no extra charge. Engine performance is enhanced by reviewing data logging files along with calibration revisions based on feedback from the end user. The duration of the calibration and file revision period is 45 days from the time the first file is sent to the customer. Multiple calibrations can also be requested during this time period. Once the 45 day period has expired the custom calibration period ends.

Don't get me wrong I'm very thankful for the deal and to have my car tuned by Randy for me 45 days should be plenty of time I just think this part could have been a little more clear.
I agree it could be clearer, but to be fair the first revision is on the ap3 when you open the box.

But yes, could be clearer

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree it could be clearer, but to be fair the first revision is on the ap3 when you open the box.

But yes, could be clearer

Right and that's what I figured and basically why I asked the question to start with just for clarification.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Kind of a bummer that the 45 days doesn't start when the AP is first married to the car. My AP will probably be here next week, but it won't be used until April or May since my ST is in hibernation until then. But, like Swank said, I'm still grateful for the great discount and initial Randy Tune.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Will I be at a disadvantage if I have get a tune adjusted at this time of year? The weather is finally changing and supposedly so does the fuel... I want to tune my car immediately but I worry I'll have to pay to update it in the spring. I already contacted Randy but I'm not feeling very patient and I want to order the tune asap.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I would wait... Fuel would not be my reason for waiting either (though I think it is a legitimate concern). My concern is that winter in CT would be difficult to get traction. Without traction, you will have a hard time getting a good data log run completed. Not saying you couldn't do it, just saying that patience may make things easier on you.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Looking to do some logs today or tomorrow I shot Randy a message to see what he wants Logged but with it being the holidays I don't really expect a reply anytime soon. So that said when you guys are doing your data logs whats Randy normally have you record? Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a great Christmas or whatever it is you celebrate!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looking to do some logs today or tomorrow I shot Randy a message to see what he wants Logged but with it being the holidays I don't really expect a reply anytime soon. So that said when you guys are doing your data logs whats Randy normally have you record? Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a great Christmas or whatever it is you celebrate!
http://www.focusst.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25119

·
Registered
570 Posts
Picked up a 2014 IS ST3 w/ 7k miles a couple weeks back and was determined to do some modding that wouldn't void my warranty. I checked out Ford Racing but their tuning seemed way too aggro and out of whack, and Mountune's MP275 I almost purchased but just couldn't justify $2500 installed. If I made more $$$ I'd have probably went that route anyway and just been happy to have my warranty in tact and a safe/mild tune w/ high quality parts.

So then I read the forums and couldn't get away from positive reviews of Randy's tunes. I've opted for a AP3 + filter Mountune package that should arrive sometime next week (hopefully) and I'm stoked! Hopefully, so long as I don't drive my car at redline everywhere and send data to Randy periodically, I won't need the warranty that might be lost once the tune is installed. Fingers crossed!

I've already basically decided that a FMIC upgrade is in order. What do you guys think between the CXRacing one and the FSWERKS FMIC? Differences negligible? What would be fair labor costs to have this installed at a shop?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Picked up a 2014 IS ST3 w/ 7k miles a couple weeks back and was determined to do some modding that wouldn't void my warranty. I checked out Ford Racing but their tuning seemed way too aggro and out of whack, and Mountune's MP275 I almost purchased but just couldn't justify $2500 installed. If I made more $$$ I'd have probably went that route anyway and just been happy to have my warranty in tact and a safe/mild tune w/ high quality parts. So then I read the forums and couldn't get away from positive reviews of Randy's tunes. I've opted for a AP3 + filter Mountune package that should arrive sometime next week (hopefully) and I'm stoked! Hopefully, so long as I don't drive my car at redline everywhere and send data to Randy periodically, I won't need the warranty that might be lost once the tune is installed. Fingers crossed! I've already basically decided that a FMIC upgrade is in order. What do you guys think between the CXRacing one and the FSWERKS FMIC? Differences negligible? What would be fair labor costs to have this installed at a shop?
Congrats! Any 3.5 inch core should do the trick for your vehicle and keep the K03 happy compared to the nasty heats oak the stock has.

Both are great options and pretty good options for the price. Levels also makes a great FMIC for the price that requires no drilling like the CXRacing.

I'd say 2 - 3 hours for installation since removing the bumper is annoying so I wouldn't pay more than $250-$300 TOPS. If it is a shop that has done a few then I'm sure they'll be able to do it right around 2 hours.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congrats! Any 3.5 inch core should do the trick for your vehicle and keep the K03 happy compared to the nasty heats oak the stock has.

Both are great options and pretty good options for the price. Levels also makes a great FMIC for the price that requires no drilling like the CXRacing.

I'd say 2 - 3 hours for installation since removing the bumper is annoying so I wouldn't pay more than $250-$300 TOPS. If it is a shop that has done a few then I'm sure they'll be able to do it right around 2 hours.
Thoughts on the blow off valve option that the Levels offers?

How important is it to get the aluminum charge piping with the IC?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thoughts on the blow off valve option that the Levels offers? How important is it to get the aluminum charge piping with the IC? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It's a great option, I think it is $818 with your choice of a Tial or HKS BOV. I want to say Nick just welds the opening for the BOV on the Intercooler. The craftsmenship is incredible. Check out @go46balls build thread and you can see it in all of its glory. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-builds/13432-go46balls-gtx2867r-build-156.html If you consider doing a JBR Cold side BOV or CP-E Exhale setup they tend to be more expensive, but are also great options for someone who already has a FMIC looking for a VTA setup. If I wasn't buying the Mountune intercooler I would definitely pick up the Levels intercooler. I wouldn't say the charge piping is as important on the stock turbo, but when looking into a bigger turbo setup I'd recommend a good set as they will improve airflow and help with response. Not to mention the stock hot side has been known to blow off when running more boost on bigger snails. Definitely a problem I would rather not have for a few hundred bucks.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I put mine under the hood.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Guys,

My check engine light came on literally a minute before I was going to install my AP3 (phew, warranty maintained) and now I'm going in tomorrow to have it checked out.

I was told it would cost me $120 if it's user error or something driver caused. This car doesn't use a gas cap so it won't be that type of user error emissions trigger.

What can I check out now that could have tripped the CEL and I could rectify before going to the dealership? I'd rather not pay $120. Any common issues that wouldn't be covered by a warranty?

My apt is 7:30 am EST tomorrow, so any feedback before then would be appreciated!

###

Update: Fuel flap (no cap in our cars) was not closed, was slightly ajar. Must have been that way for a few days. I closed it and am driving around but CEL persists.

That had to be the problem, right? How long should it take the car to figure out that was the problem and turn the light off? Will the car do that or do I have to have it manually deactivated?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
You probably need to deactivate it. Your Cobb AP should be able to read and clear codes. From what I have read I think it can do this without being married to your car (but I have never done it with an unmarried AP). If not, your local auto parts store will read the code for free. I would start there if you are trying to avoid the dealer charge (which is ridiculous IMO).

Alternatively a good ODB reader and a smartphone app like torque or dash command are great (cheap) options for code reading.

141 - 160 of 175 Posts