Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for CARB solutions so please no 'home depot pipe' LOL

I know the intakes on these cars aren't a big power gain, but I like to optimize as much as possible... and I definitely don't want the angry bumblebee sound, my wife hates that...

any preferences or soundbytes?

·
Registered
80 Posts
So you know, the Green Filter (which I have) is the same as the Cobb and Mountune. Literally. They're the same filter, just different colors. The sound is a bit better with these filters based on the videos I've watched.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good input, spend $70 on a filter and cleaning kit - about 1/3rd the price ;)

what about the FRPP snorkel? any benefit?

Auto part Technology Electronic device Muffler

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Support a vendor here on the site, and get a @VelossaTech big mouth.

Or you could always put that money towards other aspects of the car.. Say? A short shifter? Or BOV? Stuff you don't have to be quite so CA compliment with?
I have a Boomba short shifter - just need to install it

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have the James Barone Racing intake and compared to Cobb the fit is far better!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honestly, different intakes that use the same routing and tube size are going to be nearly similar, especially without a custom tune. As others have pointed out, the Green filter from FSWerks and the COBB filter are literally the same thing in different colors. The only real differences in the systems are going to be looks and noise. If you go for an open filter box, it'll be a little louder. If you go with the COBB, then there will be a giant COBB logo in your engine bay.

Or you could go totally off the wall and base your choice on political ideology. FSWerks has been around as one of the OG independent Focus tuning shops since the mk1. Mountune has worked closely with Ford for 30 years on 4-cylinder performance engines since the YB engine in the Sierra. COBB, on the other hand, will make parts for any boosted vehicle that they see a market for.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Toad, there's a couple of green filters on ebay for $38 right now brand new. just a heads up.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just ordered a green filter off amazon, how often do you guys clean these?

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just ordered a green filter off amazon, how often do you guys clean these?
my other cars I do once per year... not heavy dust/dirt so it works pretty well...

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST3
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I just installed the Mountune intake today. I already have the AEM dry filter, so I didn't plan to use the Mountune filter that was included. According to the directions, I'm supposed to use their filter for optimal results. That thing doesn't fit for diddly-sh*t in the stock box. Would not sit in the tracks on the end of the box, and trying to get the filter to tighten down properly was a joke. I threw it back in the box and figure if someone here wants to buy it, I'd sell it a reduced price. Can't see that the filter would do much beyond add a bit of noise. :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts