Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I posted about it in a front strut brace thread. Still waiting for more details. The install guide looks like it mounts with the existing factory bracing. Curious to see more install pics and get some clarification on that. If I like the additional info, then one of these will be in my future.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm sorry, we have not tested the bar with an Injen CAI so I'm not sure.
Does it sit forward of the cowl? Can't really tell exactly from these pics. Do you have any measurements on how far forward and below the cowl?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
First one on here to install needs to post more pics. Mountune pics are decent quality, but all show about the same spot on the car when installed. Pretty sure I am going to buy one eventually anyway, but I want more pics.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Interested in a review of this. I wonder how noticeable it'll be for daily driving and canyon runs with an occasional track day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
@[email protected] - I'm curious - do you think this front strut brace is a good idea for a street car? All of my FWD experience (both on track and street) tells me that while the front should be *somewhat* stiff, you don't really want too much or you risk lifting a tire. Yes, turn-in response is increased but also tends to promote understeer. Better to stiffen the rear and tripod back there than lose a drive wheel.

The blurb on the site is pretty short, just looking for a more in-depth answer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Unit body cars flex. A lot.

Don't know what chassis bracing will do for the ST, but I've experienced remarkable improvements on other platforms. There is a bit of a trade off in that you are adding weight, but many of you are also adding horsepower, too. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Maybe....

·
Registered
186 Posts
@[email protected] - I'm curious - do you think this front strut brace is a good idea for a street car? All of my FWD experience (both on track and street) tells me that while the front should be *somewhat* stiff, you don't really want too much or you risk lifting a tire. Yes, turn-in response is increased but also tends to promote understeer. Better to stiffen the rear and tripod back there than lose a drive wheel.

The blurb on the site is pretty short, just looking for a more in-depth answer.

Thanks!

There is a difference between reducing compliance, which is what this chassis brace does, and increasing roll stiffness, which is what an anti-roll bar does. This chassis brace, if anything will likely make the car feel as though it is understeering less, because it has the effect of making the front end respond more quickly to steering imputs. It could also marginally improve front grip because the camber angle will not change as much when the tires are loaded during cornering.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks guys. Sure, of course the unibody cars flex - I get that. I would expect far more issues with the rear towers, though. The hatch is not exactly designed for stiffness. If you check out the front struts, they are nestled pretty neatly up to the firewall, creating something of a triangle. I'm sure the engineers did this on purpose as it greatly improves stock stiffness.

I agree that it will make the car "feel" more responsive. However I'm concerned that reducing compliance over rough roads (I live in Los Angeles) will actually harm traction. We have enough issues getting power down and dealing with the eTVC system...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks guys. Sure, of course the unibody cars flex - I get that. I would expect far more issues with the rear towers, though. The hatch is not exactly designed for stiffness. If you check out the front struts, they are nestled pretty neatly up to the firewall, creating something of a triangle. I'm sure the engineers did this on purpose as it greatly improves stock stiffness.

I agree that it will make the car "feel" more responsive. However I'm concerned that reducing compliance over rough roads (I live in Los Angeles) will actually harm traction. We have enough issues getting power down and dealing with the eTVC system...

I completely understand your concern about making your suspension too stiff to cope with rough roads. But frankly, I don't think you need to worry about chassis braces causing you to loose traction. A stiffer front sway bar would be much more likely to produce the wheel lifting you describe. I currently have a rear chassis brace and it's effect on ride is negligable. In the past I have used both front chassis braces and stiffer front sway bars on FWD cars. In particular, a stiffer front sway bar can cause one wheel or the other to lift under power, even in a straight line. Be that as it may, go with your gut and avoid making your suspension any stiffer, otherwise you might regret the compromise.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Two questions for Mountune:

-I already have the Cobb Front Sway Bar, what would this provide that the sway bars don't?
-Does it clear the Cobb Intake pipe?

Thanks! This looks like a rad mod!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts