1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
And it looks so good under hood. JP

·
Registered
596 Posts
Typical Mountune... perfect fit, finish and quality. Looks beautiful in my engine bay :D

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a list of CARB approved parts floating around their website somewhere.
I went to the carb website, has pretty much every carb approved car part for every car since the 80's or 90's not even seperated by car company...kind of a cluster f***. I ended up emailing rallysportdirect.com and they told me only one is carb approved which is the cobb Cai. Kind of a downer since i dont have the extra funds for the mp275 package.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Sorry to post in an old thread, but is the CAI carb legal in Ca or is it only legal if you purchase the MP275 kit?
Cannot find it at the moment, but there is a thread about it somewhere on the forum. If I remember correctly mountune is waiting for approval on the individual parts and only the kit is currently approved. There was also no timeline for when approval would come (meaning they submitted everything and are just waiting for the reply).

Edit: found the thread. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/34738-mountune-usa-carb-certified-performance-parts.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Cannot find it at the moment, but there is a thread about it somewhere on the forum. If I remember correctly mountune is waiting for approval on the individual parts and only the kit is currently approved. There was also no timeline for when approval would come (meaning they submitted everything and are just waiting for the reply).

Edit: found the thread. http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/34738-mountune-usa-carb-certified-performance-parts.html
Thanks! Ill bookmark that thread, i ended up finding mountune on the carb site...it says mp215 not 275 lol.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Anothe view with the mountune silicone hose they really pull the engine bay together. Noticeable differenc. One of my first mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just got mine today! So EXCITED! (sorry to necro and old thread but didn't want to start a new one.)

I noticed something that MAY help anyone that comes across the problem I had. I put mine in, tightened everything up and the engine cover wouldn't fit. The upper right part that stick out was slightly overlapping the intake so it wouldn't seat. I tried loosening the cam cover bolt and the rear section bolt but to no avail. Then I loosened the silicone hose clamps.......VOILA! That did the trick. Wiggled it around a little and double checked to make sure everything was tight and flush and now it fits PERFECTLY.

Thanks Mountune for a quality looking part!

FB_IMG_1435095766257.jpg FB_IMG_1435096235440.jpg 2015-06-23 17.48.58.jpg

·
Registered
881 Posts
Hey im new on here and to the ST but I was considering buying one of these intakes or possibly a roush kit, what do you guys think of this one compared to the other full tube designs?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Hey im new on here and to the ST but I was considering buying one of these intakes or possibly a roush kit, what do you guys think of this one compared to the other full tube designs?
I think you can see from the posts that all of us who have Mountune are very happy with them. That said, you should really think long term as to what your ultimate plans for the car is for mods and how you want it to look. That requires a bit of homework which will save you some time and hard earned money down the road.

I will address Mountune, Cobb and Roush as you have brought them up. From a quality point, all very good and reputable companies. Now look at their other parts if you wish to continue with other mods. Personally I have just about everything Mountune under the hood they sell. Why? For me it was a continuity of quality and product efficiency between those products. I personally believe that their relationship with Ford and if you go back to their steady release of parts is an evolving continuity between manufacturer and a prefered vendor. Can you piece meal that with others, yes but I prefer a continuity of manufacturing. Just me. I as most new owners, at the time, figured I would get just a few mods and I would be happy. Not the case, hence look long term at your wish list starting with air coming in at the grill and work your way around everything else. Make a wish list whether you ultimately buy the parts or not and start from there.

From a design point, there are two camps of design for this part. 1) Single component tube. Makes sense and hard to argue with and having helped a friend install the COBB, high quality product. 2) Two piece like Mountune. I did a lot of homework on the design before I bought it. It appears that the concensus was the stock back air tube was of a sufficient design and did not impede air flow. I know because I bought an extra OE tube just to play with. The Mountune tube appears to be designed to take advantage of the stock air box and rear tube. Again what is you plan from the grill going in. As you can see in my earlier post photos, I foil wrapped everything but the Mountune. Other than being a nice looking part, I really have not seen it hold much additional heat. I do have their air filter as well.

Not sure if any of this helps but I can tell you their parts are more impressive in person than the pictures. You may find a few Mountune haters based on price and some of us with a lot of their parts have been called fanboys or with money to burn. I think those type of comments are sophmoric at best. I do not regret one part of theirs and I cannot say the same about a few other vendors (who will stay unnamed) whom I believe I wasted money.

If you are new as you say, do your homework, do your homework and ask, ask, ask. There are a lot of very astute ST Owners who are very generous with their time and experience on this forum. They sure as hell have helped me the last two years.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thanks for the response, I have been doing a lot research and just trying to figure out what makes the most sense money wise. The mountune tube cost more then the competitions whole CAI kits, however if it is really the best way to go I have no problem spending the money. But if they are both about equal why not save the money for other mods is where im at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts