Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting the Mountune FMIC on their black Friday sale. They have an option to include their "Ultra high-performance silicone boost hose kit" for an additional $300.
Any advantage to replacing OEM with these hoses, especially at this price?

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
The fact of the matter is, they'll gain you exactly 0 horsepower. I run stock charge pipes with my big turbo.

So just depends if you want your wallet to be 300 dollars lighter or not :)

· Registered
635 Posts
Looking at getting the Mountune FMIC on their black Friday sale. They have an option to include their "Ultra high-performance silicone boost hose kit" for an additional $300.
Any advantage to replacing OEM with these hoses, especially at this price?
I have the Mountune FMIC. When I got it from them, a Mountune person informed me that I don't need the hose kit unless I am doing extreme performance driving with the car. I run the original/stock charge pipes, no issues.

· Registered
'18 ST1+ Euro Sync3 Blue Recaros
337 Posts
Because there's a larger interior volume to pressurize, Wouldn't larger charge pipes also increase turbo lag?

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
Good to know. Hadn't heard that the OEM pipes prematurely degrade or have other issues.
Thanks much!!
There have been instances of the stock cold side pipe rupturing on certain cars, but i wouldn't call it a trend by any means.

Because there's a larger interior volume to pressurize, Wouldn't larger charge pipes also increase turbo lag?
In theory, yes, but if it does it's not noticeable. Same with the guys that run those huge 5.5"intercoolers. You'd think it would add some turbo lag but in reality if it does you can't tell.

· Registered
4,366 Posts
They used to come free with the fmic. I would get them if you have an extra $300 as they are made by samco and great quality. They also get rid of the two restrictions found in the oem hoses and provide a better flow to the throttle body. This is especially beneficial if sending the throttle body to Maxbore..

If you search for the 63MM throttle body thread you can see comparisons between mountune and oem...

Throttle Body Thread

edit - attached some pics:

stock hoses with necked down restrictive 43mm coupler & "donuts":

Automotive exhaust Gas Composite material Auto part Pipe

Automotive tire Camera lens Synthetic rubber Camera accessory Cameras & optics

stock w restrictive donuts vs aftermarket hard pipe:

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Pipe Wood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts