Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my turbo back exhaust and wanted to ask if the exhaust tips typically stick out this far? I've got the tips pushed in as far as possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Please let me know what you did to push it further in.
I have a similar problem. Mine doesn't stick out as much but it's nowhere close to what MatthewAMEL has.
Thank

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Just noticed your logo is different than mine. Mine says mountune on the tips; you have the m logo.

For your question, the tip positioning is drastically impacted by how you put the rest of the exhaust together. When I wanted to reposition my tips, I loosened everything up, and starting from the front of the car working to the back, I adjusted and tightened everything down again checking the impact on tip position along the way. I did this within the first 100 miles of owning it. If you have a bunch of miles on it, it may be more difficult to adjust.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I installed my CBE at the same time as my DP.

There is certainly wisdom to starting at the front of the car and working rearward.

Perhaps I was just lucky with mine.

image-1224911733.jpg

Working under jack stands presents a challenge. 😳

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Just noticed your logo is different than mine. Mine says mountune on the tips; you have the m logo. For your question, the tip positioning is drastically impacted by how you put the rest of the exhaust together. When I wanted to reposition my tips, I loosened everything up, and starting from the front of the car working to the back, I adjusted and tightened everything down again checking the impact on tip position along the way. I did this within the first 100 miles of owning it. If you have a bunch of miles on it, it may be more difficult to adjust.
I have the 'Mountune' logo also. Wonder if there were any changes in fit & finish between the batches.

image-2384337073.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started from the front as well. Everything is as tight as it's going to be. I'm also not happy because one section has a flat spot and is not completely round which is causing an exhaust leak at the one slip over coupler...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I installed my CBE at the same time as my DP.

There is certainly wisdom to starting at the front of the car and working rearward.

Perhaps I was just lucky with mine.

View attachment 117106

Working under jack stands presents a challenge. 😳
Which downpipe? And any videos of the exhaust note? Curious as to how the mountune sounds with a downpipe attached.

I started from the front as well. Everything is as tight as it's going to be. I'm also not happy because one section has a flat spot and is not completely round which is causing an exhaust leak at the one slip over coupler...
Mountune will easily replace said defected part just shoot them a message

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
My tips say mountune on them, and don't have the logo. They stick out just a bit but I wanted them to stick out just enough to be able to read "mountune" plus they looked weird siting flush with the bumper. The finish hasn't held up well at all, they're all pitted and look kinda rough, even though I make sure to polish them every now and then with a microfiber cloth when I wash the car.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Which downpipe? And any videos of the exhaust note? Curious as to how the mountune sounds with a downpipe attached.
I'm all Mountune. MR300 kit.

The sound is exactly what I was looking for. Near OEM for daily driving and near insanity when WOT.

I've never taken any clips. I have an AutoX Sunday, perhaps I can get someone to video around the finish.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
My tips say mountune on them, and don't have the logo. They stick out just a bit but I wanted them to stick out just enough to be able to read "mountune" plus they looked weird siting flush with the bumper. The finish hasn't held up well at all, they're all pitted and look kinda rough, even though I make sure to polish them every now and then with a microfiber cloth when I wash the car.
Zach, where are you located? Do you think your pitting is climate related?

IIRC, you got your setup a few months before me. I haven't noticed any pitting yet. I wipe down the tips during each wash. I live in Orlando.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Zach, where are you located? Do you think your pitting is climate related?

IIRC, you got your setup a few months before me. I haven't noticed any pitting yet. I wipe down the tips during each wash. I live in Orlando.
I'm in Nashville. It gets cold here, but there's little to no salt in the winter. Nothing like up north. I wash the car regularly, it's in my garage at night, and in the enclosed/heated garage during the day while I'm at work.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The sound is exactly what I was looking for. Near OEM for daily driving and near insanity when WOT.
This. I can't say enough good things about mine. Could be confused for OEM until you stomp the skinny pedal, even with the downpipe.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Are you running mud flaps of any kind? I wonder if your tires are pummeling the tips with grit? And lastly, what are you using to polish them?

Mine have been holding up fine, but have only been through 1 Missouri winter. I've felt the need to polish them once, and I used the non-abrasive polish from Griot's with good results.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just installed my turbo back exhaust and wanted to ask if the exhaust tips typically stick out this far? I've got the tips pushed in as far as possible.
Not normal. I will say this, it took a little time to get mine to fit "just right". You just need to massage it in.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Are you running mud flaps of any kind? I wonder if your tires are pummeling the tips with grit? And lastly, what are you using to polish them?

Mine have been holding up fine, but have only been through 1 Missouri winter. I've felt the need to polish them once, and I used the non-abrasive polish from Griot's with good results.
Microfiber to clean them, and I've tried Meguiars scratch-x to attempt to polish some of the pitting. It helped some. I really don't care much at this point, as long as it looks acceptable, it's being traded for the RS. No mud flaps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts