Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my '14 Prototype Mountune Springs on for 18k miles with stock dampers so I was looking forward to seeing the changes however I've only drove 10 miles on them after installation to check for any creaking or quick changes I needed to make. The springs need to settle so I will save full impressions after a couple of weeks. Basic impressions are it's much more comfortable than springs/stock damper combo. This being major surprise is that I actually feel the ride is considerably more comfortable than springs alone and I wish I would have done this sooner but it wasn't available through Mountune so I'm glad I waited. The overall handling is so much more planted and sure footed during mid-corner bumps. I'm looking forward to some canyon/track time to see how they react during lift off oversteer. image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg image4.jpg image5.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi! Is this the new Clubsport Suspension Upgrade? If so, I just received it but need to setup some to install. Was it easy to install? J

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi! Is this the new Clubsport Suspension Upgrade? If so, I just received it but need to setup some to install. Was it easy to install? J
It wasn't to bad I suppose the hardest part was getting the old strut out, it required some "forceful" kicking to get loosened. Took about 3 hours total. If you aren't fully comfortable doing this I would have a professional install it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Is this the kit that the front's come fully assembled? Any shots of the car with the wheels on?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^X2 I'd like to see pics. I am going to shoot for getting a set of these in the next few months.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
image.jpg

When I was just running just the springs this is how they looked. The ride height won't change with the addition of the Bilsteins. Drop was 1" front 1.4" rear. Yes the front struts come pre assembled with the top hat included so it's much better not having to mess with a spring compressor. I'll post photos in about a week or so when the car settles.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Continuity photos
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yeah I think I know what I'm spending my bonus on

·
Registered
472 Posts
To both PrecisionBoost and ST Bob - do you guys have any alignment issues with this kit? Do you need camber arms in the rear or any other additional parts to get it back in spec?

This kit may be what I'm looking for in terms of replacement parts once the stock shocks are gone but coming from my previous car with H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Sports I don't want to go back to that harsh of a ride. These look like a nice compromise for a daily driver street vehicle. Also I don't want to be replacing tires as quickly which is why I ask about the alignment.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yeah, this is definitely a future purchase for me, looking forward to more updated reviews when you have it for a longer period of time.

·
Registered
534 Posts
To both PrecisionBoost and ST Bob - do you guys have any alignment issues with this kit? Do you need camber arms in the rear or any other additional parts to get it back in spec? This kit may be what I'm looking for in terms of replacement parts once the stock shocks are gone but coming from my previous car with H&R Sport Springs and Bilstein Sports I don't want to go back to that harsh of a ride. These look like a nice compromise for a daily driver street vehicle. Also I don't want to be replacing tires as quickly which is why I ask about the alignment.

Great question - mine aligns at or "just" outside of spec for negative camber. I recently put on new tires, and probably too soon to notice any signs of abnormal wear. I bought (and then sold) camber arms once I saw it aligned within or very close to stock specs. I felt they were unnecessary. Rears ride a bit more on inner edges due to greater drop, but if you do a lot of hard cornering that could be a benefit for traction and/or tire wear. The ride quality is superb for a daily driver, IMO.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Great question - mine aligns at or "just" outside of spec for negative camber. I recently put on new tires, and probably too soon to notice any signs of abnormal wear. I bought (and then sold) camber arms once I saw it aligned within or very close to stock specs. I felt they were unnecessary. Rears ride a bit more on inner edges due to greater drop, but if you do a lot of hard cornering that could be a benefit for traction and/or tire wear. The ride quality is superb for a daily driver, IMO.
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
720 Posts
It wasn't to bad I suppose the hardest part was getting the old strut out, it required some "forceful" kicking to get loosened. Took about 3 hours total. If you aren't fully comfortable doing this I would have a professional install it.
Small tip here, there is a tool called a strut spreader that will require no "kicking" to get the strut out. Kicking could cause you to push the hub down to far and rip one of the boots. I state this from personal experience not to be a jerk :). You can also fashion your own strut spreader with a socket and a wide flat head bit.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Oh, this is going in the bookmark folder for upgrades. I was looking for something with a mild drop, but no appreciable degradation in ride quality. The price is RIGHT, and it looks like a great combination of products.

I find the stock setup on the ST rides pretty rough in some sections, especially highway patches that have turned a little bumpy (large ones) from all the tractor-trailer weight over time. Like little mini whoop-de-doos. I've run Bilstein's better stuff before in trucks, and the ride is just a dream on these same patches, but does this setup damp better than stock without being harsh? That's what I think is missing from the stock setup. I think Pobst said the same thing, that the car is under-damped from the factory.

Thanks for your initial review!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Small tip here, there is a tool called a strut spreader that will require no "kicking" to get the strut out. Kicking could cause you to push the hub down to far and rip one of the boots. I state this from personal experience not to be a jerk :). You can also fashion your own strut spreader with a socket and a wide flat head bit.
Oh no offense taken, we did use a flat head to spread the strut to release but the stock damper was giving a crap ton of issues on dissassembly. We were careful enough and he boots stood up to everything we threw at it.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts