Ford Focus ST Forum banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
How are the included instructions?

My one gripe with Mountune is their instructions suck. Thank God the fitment is so good.
i havent looked in depth at all the boxes but so far none that ive seen. will check again in the morning. figured i would see something when i emailed them about the tune.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Does not having any count as sucking? My Clubsport suspension was just a box with parts.
I think it would be nice or at least a disclaimer stating they just assume you would find a reputable shop to install or have the knowledge to do so. Doesn't bother me which is why I didn't look too hard for any. My clubsports were the same, no instructions. So I called up my friend and he helped pretty much do the entire install and I was his extra hands.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Does not having any count as sucking? My Clubsport suspension was just a box with parts.
My AFR heads for my TransAm just came with the heads, and rocker studs uninstalled.

At some point they assume you know your way about an engine.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
My AFR heads for my TransAm just came with the heads, and rocker studs uninstalled. At some point they assume you know your way about an engine.
Totally understand what you are saying.

However, a turbo (to me) is a bolt-on. I've done all the installs on my ST and I'm a novice DIY mechanic.

A friend and I installed a Procharger P1-SC on his 2013 Corvette Grand Sport in about 6 hours because the instructions were so good. For the $ Mountune charges, I'd love to see good, detailed instructions.

This is the Procharger manual
https://www.procharger.com/catalogs/2008-10_C6_Corvette_HO/files/mobile/tablet.html#9

·
Registered
672 Posts
Excited to see your numbers. Is Randy working on a tune with you or was that extra?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Completely agree. Mountune needs to step up their instruction game.
in their mind probably every time they hear that they realize it doesnt stop anyone from buying. seriously lol, they are still growing, just moved into a bigger space...and i cant tell you how many times stuff is back ordered because they cant keep them on the shelves. so they figure no need. haha

its a nice to have, sure.

·
Registered
61 Posts
in their mind probably every time they hear that they realize it doesnt stop anyone from buying. seriously lol, they are still growing, just moved into a bigger space...and i cant tell you how many times stuff is back ordered because they cant keep them on the shelves. so they figure no need. haha

Yeah but they could probably sell even more to guys like me who like to wrench but have never done a turbo swap if they give me some good instructions or put a video on youtube.

·
Registered
35 Posts
CJPonyparts actually did a install kit on the ATP 2867R kit on their youtube channel if you want a walkthrough video @zsommer79

·
Registered
507 Posts

Unfortunately this is the reality.

·
Registered
672 Posts
But, I can tell you, the big turbo kit and downpipe is in stock. Because it's sitting right next to me. :p
Can you take some more pictures of the stuff? I'm torn as to if I want suspension or this kit.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Can you take some more pictures of the stuff? I'm torn as to if I want suspension or this kit.
anything else you're looking for in particular? Everything else is pretty much what they included on their site. I posted some more pics of the EFR a page or 2 back aside from that initial teaser. I haven't taken any pics of the bolts, clamps, turbo adapter/mounting kit or anything but could.

·
Registered
672 Posts
anything else you're looking for in particular? Everything else is pretty much what they included on their site. I posted some more pics of the EFR a page or 2 back aside from that initial teaser. I haven't taken any pics of the bolts, clamps, turbo adapter/mounting kit or anything but could.
Just saw your build thread and that was exciting and motivating. Can't wait to see it all play out. I want the same suspension / brake combo you've got.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Personally I would love to see as many pictures as you felt like posting. I'm torn between the Mountune MRX kit and the SBD2867 kit so anything I can find to sway me one way or the other would be huge

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Personally I would love to see as many pictures as you felt like posting. I'm torn between the Mountune MRX kit and the SBD2867 kit so anything I can find to sway me one way or the other would be huge
:) I hear you. i think you'll be more swayed to go one direction or the other with some results more than pics. Not familiar with the SBD2867 (assuming that's the gtx 2867). I will work on getting it installed as soon as possible but need the weather to cooperate here in the Midwest.

But yes I will get more pics in!

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
:) I hear you. i think you'll be more swayed to go one direction or the other with some results more than pics. Not familiar with the SBD2867 (assuming that's the gtx 2867). I will work on getting it installed as soon as possible but need the weather to cooperate here in the Midwest.

But yes I will get more pics in!
One picture I would love to see is everything that came in the kit, the pictures on the Mountune site seem a little off to me (three oil drain tube gaskets??) so I'm curious to see what actually shows up at your door when you order this.

Totally agree about the results having having more weight than about anything else. At the same time, the actual install procedure is a pretty big deal for me too. I have the feeling that the Mountune MRX kit will be easier to install since you don't have to mess with an external BOV as well as having some pre-formed lines. Not only that but having a EBCS mounted and ready to go should make the vacuum line portion of the install much easier and cleaner as well.

The SBD2867 is an ATP GT series turbo with a custom compressor wheel from SpeedByDesign that basically turns it into a GTX2867. Im still trying to get some more info about their product but one of the things I really like about their kit is that, like the Mountune kit, everything is cast. On the Full Race EFR kit the turbo manifold is hand-welded, and on the ATP GTX kits the downpipe adapter flange is hand-welded. Since those parts see a lot of heat and stress I have concerns about those parts eventually cracking from heat-cycling and fatigue. Plus it would allow me to re-use my Milltek downpipe.

Good luck on the install! I will be very anxious to hear your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
One picture I would love to see is everything that came in the kit, the pictures on the Mountune site seem a little off to me (three oil drain tube gaskets??) so I'm curious to see what actually shows up at your door when you order this.

Totally agree about the results having having more weight than about anything else. At the same time, the actual install procedure is a pretty big deal for me too. I have the feeling that the Mountune MRX kit will be easier to install since you don't have to mess with an external BOV as well as having some pre-formed lines. Not only that but having a EBCS mounted and ready to go should make the vacuum line portion of the install much easier and cleaner as well.

The SBD2867 is an ATP GT series turbo with a custom compressor wheel from SpeedByDesign that basically turns it into a GTX2867. Im still trying to get some more info about their product but one of the things I really like about their kit is that, like the Mountune kit, everything is cast. On the Full Race EFR kit the turbo manifold is hand-welded, and on the ATP GTX kits the downpipe adapter flange is hand-welded. Since those parts see a lot of heat and stress I have concerns about those parts eventually cracking from heat-cycling and fatigue. Plus it would allow me to re-use my Milltek downpipe.

Good luck on the install! I will be very anxious to hear your thoughts!
This all makes perfect sense, thanks. I don't have much going on today/tomorrow (snow storm tomorrow so hopefully doing nothing). That means I can lay all these parts out and get some detailed pics for everyone on what came with the kit. I've left most of the stuff alone because I don't want to lose a bag or something. Nothing worse than being hours into an install and missing a bolt or gasket lol!

161 - 180 of 193 Posts