Ford Focus ST Forum banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sucks to be living in Canada! Been wanting this kit but I'm gonna lose too much sadly. Let's see how long i can resist

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man this kit is seriously making me rethink what mods i want. To go to a cobb accessport, adding mountune's intake, and the efr downpipe... decisions decisions. Looks like an amazing kit with top notch quality. Anxiously waiting for a couple people to install this kit and hear what they think.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Man this kit is seriously making me rethink what mods i want. To go to a cobb accessport, adding mountune's intake, and the efr downpipe... decisions decisions. Looks like an amazing kit with top notch quality. Anxiously waiting for a couple people to install this kit and hear what they think.

what are your power goals? I've been asked a few times why not a bigger turbo but realistically I don't need much more than 350hp - anything more is just a bonus. I also don't want to have to deal with the next-level steps (aux fuel, etc.) to deal with fueling to push it beyond 400hp. So the 6258 size wise seemed like a perfect fit. Bit bigger than a K03, but not an EFR 7XXX or GTX3XXX haha.

Just a complete bolt on kit that pairs up nicely with all my existing mods so happy to have the parts in my hand, just waiting to get installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same. 350-400 horsepower sounds good to me. I also don't want to deal with aux fuel or meth. Seems like this would be a good fit. Just got my ST in August and there is a long list of mods but i definitely think this kit is going on the list.

Congrats man can't wait to see your results!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Same. 350-400 horsepower sounds good to me. I also don't want to deal with aux fuel or meth. Seems like this would be a good fit. Just got my ST in August and there is a long list of mods but i definitely think this kit is going on the list.

Congrats man can't wait to see your results!
if you just want to run pump gas...the "safe" limit is going to be right around 350whp max.

·
Registered
165 Posts
350WHP is a great goal and where I'd like to be. Anything more and I'll sell the car for a 04 Cobra and make some real power for much less money. 400WHP would be my max, but like you I don't want to mess with aux fueling or WMI(despite how awesome it is).

Like GoBall said, 400WHP is definitely pushing not only the fuel system, but the 6528's turbine does not like the higher speeds required and fails due to the extremely light turbine wheel. The garretts are way better at overspeed due to the efficency of the wheel.

At least that's what Alex explained to me in our short turbo talk. If you want to hit 400WHP, go 6758 so that you aren't pushing the turbo that hard. If anyone is currently running the smaller EFR over 400WHP, please speak up and let us know of your experiences.

I'm not sure if Mountune made any adjustments to the turbo in their kit, but 350-360whp seems like a safe bet for longevity of the vehicle. Regardless, best of luck and we are itching to see some numbers once you have it intalled.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
350WHP is a great goal and where I'd like to be. Anything more and I'll sell the car for a 04 Cobra and make some real power for much less money. 400WHP would be my max, but like you I don't want to mess with aux fueling or WMI(despite how awesome it is).

Like GoBall said, 400WHP is definitely pushing not only the fuel system, but the 6528's turbine does not like the higher speeds required and fails due to the extremely light turbine wheel. The garretts are way better at overspeed due to the efficency of the wheel.

At least that's what Alex explained to me in our short turbo talk. If you want to hit 400WHP, go 6758 so that you aren't pushing the turbo that hard. If anyone is currently running the smaller EFR over 400WHP, please speak up and let us know of your experiences.

I'm not sure if Mountune made any adjustments to the turbo in their kit, but 350-360whp seems like a safe bet for longevity of the vehicle. Regardless, best of luck and we are itching to see some numbers once you have it intalled.
Yeah I'm trying to look into some of the core differences from the original 6258 vs this 6258-A. Initially the cap was even listed around 225-400. If you look for the 6258A it states a range of 225-450. Not sure what all changed (housings, etc) but hopefully a realistic boost in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
350WHP is a great goal and where I'd like to be. Anything more and I'll sell the car for a 04 Cobra and make some real power for much less money. 400WHP would be my max, but like you I don't want to mess with aux fueling or WMI(despite how awesome it is). Like GoBall said, 400WHP is definitely pushing not only the fuel system, but the 6528's turbine does not like the higher speeds required and fails due to the extremely light turbine wheel. The garretts are way better at overspeed due to the efficency of the wheel. At least that's what Alex explained to me in our short turbo talk. If you want to hit 400WHP, go 6758 so that you aren't pushing the turbo that hard. If anyone is currently running the smaller EFR over 400WHP, please speak up and let us know of your experiences. I'm not sure if Mountune made any adjustments to the turbo in their kit, but 350-360whp seems like a safe bet for longevity of the vehicle. Regardless, best of luck and we are itching to see some numbers once you have it intalled.
I had the 6258 up to 375 on a catted dp a mishap of events on the dyno lead to it exiting the housing. At least on the smaller turbos it does seem true if u start over speeding them they are fragile. I haven't seen anyone eat up a 67 or a 71 so it may only be the smaller ones.

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's interesting, and I agree, haven't noticed any threads or videos of the bigger housings blowing up besides when they first came out a few years ago.

I'm not sure if Mountune would release the bigger housing in a kit later since it completely defeats the purpose of what they designed this kit for. It's a bolt and go kit with a tune already in mine designed to be as close as possible to stock characteristics with a better flow up top. Not to mention the power the 6758 and 7163s are happy at tend to start popping motors without WMI. At least in the 400whp range.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts