Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here having experience with the Mountune BBK?
I'm trying to figure out weater or not this kit is the same as the RS brembo calipers. If so, I could just order RS rotors and pads when the Mountunes are consumed.
The rotors are 350mm, like the RS ones. The only thin in my oppion that could be different is the distance from the hub to the center of the disc?
Mountune could not answer my questions unfortunately, just ordered the kit and hoped for the best.
Thanks in advance.
2363-BBK-aa_2048x@2x.jpg

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Visually they look pretty similar, they even list that oem ST wheels fit but require a 5mm spacer just like the RS Brembo's. The US version of Mountune doesnt offer this kit, just the blue RS brembo's.
https://www.mountunestore.com/collections/mk3-focus-st/products/big-brake-upgrade-kit

I will have my car on jack stands this weekend, so if you want a measurement of anything I should be able to get them. You would think Mountune would be able to tell you if the pads/rotors they sell for the RS are interchangeable with their kit. You'd think they'd have access to an RS to check fitment.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yep, recoated RS brembo's with PowerSlot rotors. Just like I'm doing to my car piecemeal, but with bare aluminum calipers rather than red.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey rambleon84, indeed they look very simialar, if not identical! I asked mountune support and they told me their calipers are spicifically designed for the ST and that the RS rotors and pads will not fit. The funny part is that they only supply 350mm rotors for the RS, so if the RS ones don't fit the ST BBK kit, there is like virtually no option to order replacement parts for the BBK kit. I asked this question to the same support guy and he gave me a really strange answer, that they do not supply it and that I better look for another solution. Maybe we had a mismatch in comunication because English is not my native language, but I think the guy is just talking rubbish and dislikes his job, or something like that...

I ordered the BBK from mountune and it will arrive today, so if you can take some measurements for me that would be great! Than I can measure mine and we will have certainty :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2018-06-15 13_54_48-Broekmans_T_RS-Rotor_110-01.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader 2017.png
A is the dimension that should be the same on the RS rotor, adittionally a measurement of B and C can provide A.
I don't know anything about pad dimensions...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will take measurements of the rotors tomorrow. Received the package and mountune forgot to include the pads. I am really not happy with their support and their mistake to not include pads. Pretty sure its just an RS caliper, the pad securing materials came in a ford packaging and fomoco (ford motor company) is imbedded in the block. So I would be really surprised if the rs rotors and pads won’t fit. For the reference I add mountune support mailing. The components look great but their support is rubbish.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are the Rotors L/R identified? I certainly hope so....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Look at the very first post and you can see that L and R are etched on each rotor. Still, as Unfocused said, if vanes are straight, it doesn't really matter.
I am pretty sure that if the calipers have FOMOCO -they are RS calipers painted red per Mountune specifications.
Silly that they would provide mis-information like that. After all, Mountune sells their own pads for the RS, and I doubt that they would have a unique pad made up for the couple of hundred kits that they might be able to sell.

-MW

·
Registered
307 Posts
Those look like the aluminum pistons that they ship with the RS calipers... Which is different from normal brembo brakes, which are stainless steel or Ti for their race stuff.
So these are RS Brembos painted red.

CrashMW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anyone figure out if this kit is the exact same as the RS upgrade? I gather that the caliper is the same, but what about disc offsets and such?
I figure this option would be better for my TS paintjob, and if I can replace discs and pads with regular RS items..

·
Registered
800 Posts
Did anyone figure out if this kit is the exact same as the RS upgrade? I gather that the caliper is the same, but what about disc offsets and such?
I figure this option would be better for my TS paintjob, and if I can replace discs and pads with regular RS items..
I am to the point where I would not recommend Mountune products. I'm not thrilled with the quality of the SS brake lines on my ST (RS brake upgrade) nor my friend's stock ST. My friend also ordered a full brake kit and Mountune never sent him pads. Claimed they were out of stock, but sent him everything else and never said a word about the pads until he complained.

If you're willing to put a little more time and energy into it you can piece together the RS kit from a dealership and get the unpainted calipers from the EU RS. That's what I did and I'm really happy with them.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This has been discussed in another thread. They're RS calipers painted red, i spoke with brembo about the calipers to see if they were painting them for mountune and they said no. Its just a pieced together kit like the FRPP one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
12 Participants
20focusSTdriver17
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing