Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people's opinions are on these tunes

I'm looking to keep warranty but get a little more grunt out of the car, I read here that the ford racing tune with the mountune 275 kit and the ford racing exhaust put down 260whp and 350wtq on pump 91, I was wondering what kind of numbers will the mountune tune put down?

I was planning on getting the CNT CBE since CBEs don't void warranty and that's a nice $300 exhaust and I noticed it was cheaper for me to buy the mountune 275 kit with their tune as opposed to buy the kit without the tune($1600 vs $1300) and buy the ford racing tune for $600

I'm not looking for anything crazy, just looking to get the best bang for buck

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was wondering what people's opinions are on these tunes

I'm looking to keep warranty but get a little more grunt out of the car, I read here that the ford racing tune with the mountune 275 kit and the ford racing exhaust put down 260whp and 350wtq on pump 91, I was wondering what kind of numbers will the mountune tune put down?

I was planning on getting the CNT CBE since CBEs don't void warranty and that's a nice $300 exhaust and I noticed it was cheaper for me to buy the mountune 275 kit with their tune as opposed to buy the kit without the tune($1600 vs $1300) and buy the ford racing tune for $600

I'm not looking for anything crazy, just looking to get the best bang for buck
Look on the Mountune site. The MP275 kit produces 275ps and 297lb/ft.

The Mountune kit will be more smooth power delivery whereas the Ford Performance tune will be a big gob of torque down low.

The Mountune kit comes with an intercooler which is a pretty important part for this car. Even if with JUST the tune from Ford Performance, you will not have all that power all the time if it is hot out. Where the Mountune kit will be much more consistent as it will not heatsoak as fast.

Peak power is not something you should look at either. 350tq for FP and 300(ish) for Mountune will feel very different. The Mountune, I have heard, does not have quite as much torque because these cars do not handle torque very well. So by limiting tq you get a bit more hp but also a more driveable package.

Some people love to blow the tires off, but some people like to hook up. So it is up to you at the end.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Here's what I recommend -

*FRPP Package (Tune, Snorkel, Cat-Back)
*AEM or Snow Stage 1 water injection
*SiStomper Coolant Mod (especially since you live in Southern California)
*SiStomper Max Stock WG Pre-load

Since FRPP's tune spikes the hardest (25 psi), you'll hold more of that boost. The coolant mod will keep the party going and the water-methanol will ensure max ignition timing on pump gas.

IMHO the Mountune MP275 only make sense if you're going to get the MRX turbo upgrade eventually. At that point Randy @Mountune will work with you and that's when you'll really be able to take advantage of the water-methanol injection.

That turbo will easily crack 400 hp on water-methanol + pump gas.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look on the Mountune site. The MP275 kit produces 275ps and 297lb/ft.

The Mountune kit will be more smooth power delivery whereas the Ford Performance tune will be a big gob of torque down low.

The Mountune kit comes with an intercooler which is a pretty important part for this car. Even if with JUST the tune from Ford Performance, you will not have all that power all the time if it is hot out. Where the Mountune kit will be much more consistent as it will not heatsoak as fast.

Peak power is not something you should look at either. 350tq for FP and 300(ish) for Mountune will feel very different. The Mountune, I have heard, does not have quite as much torque because these cars do not handle torque very well. So by limiting tq you get a bit more hp but also a more driveable package.

Some people love to blow the tires off, but some people like to hook up. So it is up to you at the end.
thank you for the reply, the site I read that article on with the FRPP kit had the mountune 275 kit but without their tune, so it was basically a MP275 with a FRPP exhaust and tune. ideally i would get an intercooler before tuning cause if I'm gonna pump more boost into the car, I want to be able to off set it with a bigger intercooler, I also have an intercooler sprayer kit laying around I want to install as well so that could help keep even the mountune intercooler from heatsoaking at idle

I do now have a better idea as to where I might want to go, I feel at first the mountune tune will be easier for me to learn how to launch but when I get launching down the FRPP tune might be better as the higher torque can get me down the line faster assuming everything hooks up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts