Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really dying to do some performance mods on my car in the next few months and I'm not sure which way to go. It seems like I could go the Mountune MP275 route through the dealership and not void my warranty, but I feel like the Cobb setup is much better. The price difference is not too significant between the two, really I'm curious which of the two is the better ECU?

I was pretty set on going with the Cobb package, but the fact that I could potentially not void my warranty peaks my curiosity. If the mountune is just garbage though then I'm down with saying goodbye to my warranty.

I guess I'm curious if anyone had the MP275 installed on their car and if they like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've had the MP275 for about 20k miles, no issues. At first I was like this is great, but after awhile the excitement wore off. On the highway 4th and 5th really pull nice. But it's been so long I forgot what OEM was like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
While I agree with NotHondaDriver overall, both of these upgrades are safe and conservative.

MP275's only benefit is you get a modified warranty out of it. Going MR300 to match Cobb Stage 3 will void that warranty. Either way power is meh about 30-35 hp gain and ROI is very poor.

You are better off, getting the cheapest ATP kit ($1995) but don't get a .64 housing "Disco Potato" It's originally designed for a 1.8L engine with a .86 precisely to enhance top end power while having a quick spool.

It will do 320+ which is 100+ hp gain over stock and really give the car the shove it needs, especially past 5,000 rpm.

Get a Turbo Smart 22 mm BOV which is about $185, it comes with a flange. Get it welded to the stock hot side pipe.

This route is better because -

• It will put you on par with current VW GTI's, WRX, etc. bolt-ons only won't do that.
  • If you want more power just add water injection, you can increase the boost and timing to make at least 360-370 hp at the wheels
  • You can upgrade to any other GT/GTX turbo. You can do a direct upgrade from the Disco Potato to the GT2871 which is still a good turbo

Is the warranty really that important? Run water injection if your concerned about engine life, race gas when you wanna really wanna beat on it.

I'd be more concerned about clutch life. You can use all the stock parts until you can afford to upgrade, will still make 300+ as Hemi Couple did but with a GTX2867, makes no difference your limitation is pump gas.

With race gas, drag radials, little weight reduction and some practice it will run low 12's, high 11's.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd go mountune or Ford tune, If you're just wanting a bit more oomph, especially if you want the driveability and reliability to be as nice as oem.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts