Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I didn’t want to take my tuned car to dealer so I took a chance with Pepboys.

I provided the motorcraft FL400S oil filter + 6 quarts of Penzoil Platinum Ultra 5w-30 (1x 5 quart jug + 1x 1 quart bottle)

When they were done I was surprised to see the 1 quart untouched. I checked oil level and it wasn’t low. I figured maybe they didn’t drain the old oil all the way. The oil on the dipstick seemed darker than I expected but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Now 1k mike later, I checked my oil and it is really dark. I can post pictures early am.

I’m just curious, is it normal for oil to be near black after 1k mike or is it safe to assume pep boys pocketed the 5 quart and didn’t bother doing the oil change at all?

I already placed order for more penzoil and will be getting another oil change ASAP.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hmm that is strange. I guess I can't really speak for the ST itself since I have not done an oil change yet (I'm at about 4k miles) but on my last vehicle, 2010 Cobalt, my oil was definitely never black after 1k miles. I always changed around 5k miles and even though it was dark I don't know if I would call it black at 5k. I used high mileage purolator filter and a Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage on it.

I'm interested to see what other people say on here since I'll be changing my for the first time soon.

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Hey all,
I didn’t want to take my tuned car to dealer so I took a chance with Pepboys.

I provided the motorcraft FL400S oil filter + 6 quarts of Penzoil Platinum Ultra 5w-30 (1x 5 quart jug + 1x 1 quart bottle)

When they were done I was surprised to see the 1 quart untouched. I checked oil level and it wasn’t low. I figured maybe they didn’t drain the old oil all the way. The oil on the dipstick seemed darker than I expected but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Now 1k mike later, I checked my oil and it is really dark. I can post pictures early am.

I’m just curious, is it normal for oil to be near black after 1k mike or is it safe to assume pep boys pocketed the 5 quart and didn’t bother doing the oil change at all?

I already placed order for more penzoil and will be getting another oil change ASAP.
With that filter it should take exactly 6 quarts...something shady is going on.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wonder if they didn't really change the oil filter....would sorta explain their use of only 5 quarts and the dirty oil. Take it back and confront them.....this engine takes 5.7 quarts .

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Wonder if they didn't really change the oil filter....would sorta explain their use of only 5 quarts and the dirty oil. Take it back and confront them.....this engine takes 5.7 quarts .
It will take 6 quarts with the filter he provided.

Reactions: angrychair

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run an Advance Auto in NC, and I've seen way too much of this shady sh** to ever consider taking my car to a PepBoys/Firestone/Jiffy Lube/Valvoline shop. They do this kind of thing constantly, and have been busted multiple times over not changing filters and short-changing customers on oil level. Seriously, just google "Oil Change Fraud".

The problem here is that it's already been 1000 miles since the oil change, so they could easily say it's something wrong with your engine causing it to turn black. I'm assuming it's also been more than 30 days, so any kind of warranty on labor or parts is probably out the window. I'd say just change the oil ASAP and move on. Never bring it back to them, though. If I have to take my car somewhere for something I can't do myself, I always look for an independent garage or local chain that has a clean shop/work area. If the garage owners answer only to themselves, and don't have a team of lawyers and corporate bank account available to fight warranty issues, they're generally as honest as you're going to get in the industry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why not just do your own oil change? It's not hard...just a pain to with the belly pan but that's nothing to ensure it's done right.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Direct injected engines are pretty dirty. Oil changes color quickly.

Sent from another galaxy.
this... just like a diesel engine, I find that the oil is always black. I don't check it after 1000 miles of changing but I assume it would be black. I literally never check my oil, i just change it every 5k

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input all.

I didn’t even consider that they may not have swapped out the filter.

I thought of doing my own oil change but I can’t do car work in my apartment parking lot.

As for going and confronting Pepboys, I’d rather just do another oil change and never go back to them again.

Pepboys Everett, Ma giant thumbs down. Anyone near me, avoid them like a plague.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That all depends on how its driven too. Oil gets darker because of blow by, not just the type of injection lol
I drive like a ***** until the oil temp nears close the middle of the oil temp gauge. Approximately 60 miles round trip to work 5x a week. I do wot while oil is at operating temperature few times a day as I read it’s good for the car.

I don’t have an oil catch can.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had an even worse experience with pepboys and they lost my business forever because of it.

I used to own a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I was having transmission issues (automatic), it was shifting very rough and sometimes not getting into gears where I would have to let off the throttle and let the vehicle slow down and then push the throttle again and hopefully it would shift. Usually it got stuck in 1st and 2nd gear.

So I went to pepboys and asked for a transmission fluid filter and some transmission fluid and asked how many qts I needed because I didn't have an owners manual to tell me. They gave me a number and what I needed and I bought everything and went home and changed the filter and fluid. Next time I drove it it seemed even worse, I drove like that for a couple days but suspected the fluid level was just low. I went back to pepboys and asked again how many qts it took (different guy this time) he gave me a different number, like I'm talking 3 qts different. I don't remember exact numbers but like first guy told me 7qts and it was supposed to take 10qts. I was obviously very frustrated because of this and I haven't stepped foot in a pepboys since haha.

Oh and surprise surprise when I put the correct level of fluid in it started shifting much better!

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the pic. Took it under the sunlight and it doesn't seem that dark as I thought. On a rag it looks black.

IMG_0548.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's the pic. Took it under the sunlight and it doesn't seem that dark as I thought. On a rag it looks black.

View attachment 306338
It will always look blacker on the rag...

What oil did it have in before? What Filter?

Can you confirm a FL400S filter is on it now?

·
Registered
102 Posts
That all depends on how its driven too. Oil gets darker because of blow by, not just the type of injection lol
All the engineering papers stuff I've seen points to both DI engines producing more soot, and boosted DI engines being able to transport more via cylinder wall oil film contamination.

Layman's terms: It makes more dirt and force feeds it into the oil.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Focus ST3
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It will always look blacker on the rag...

What oil did it have in before? What Filter?

Can you confirm a FL400S filter is on it now?
Just had oil change done today. FL400S filter was in there. My mechanic said most likely Pepboys didn’t take time to drain all the old oil. I have 6 quarts of new Penzoil Ultra Platinum and another new FL400s.

Just placed an order for 10 new lug nuts. Not sure I can blame Pepboys but the front wheels lug nuts stripped.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts