Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Need a sounding board from Suspension experts. I have a 2016 FoST. The high speed ride has been a little bouncy for my taste. Especially going on stretches of the freeway where it's not smooth. What I define as bouncy, is when you lean your head on the headrest, your head will be bouncing on and off it. When the road is nice or just around town (40 mph), no problem at all.

By chance, I was hauling some heavy loads over the weekend. 10 sacks of rice @ 40 lb each = 150 lb on the rear seat + 250 lb on the cargo area. I really felt it made the car much less bouncy and more comfortable.

So if I want to replicate the same situation by adjusting the suspension under normal pay load, what kind of setting should I go with? Can you please recommend component types and brands to go with based on your experience?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Guys,

Need a sounding board from Suspension experts. I have a 2016 FoST. The high speed ride has been a little bouncy for my taste. Especially going on stretches of the freeway where it's not smooth. What I define as bouncy, is when you lean your head on the headrest, your head will be bouncing on and off it. When the road is nice or just around town (40 mph), no problem at all.

By chance, I was hauling some heavy loads over the weekend. 10 sacks of rice @ 40 lb each = 150 lb on the rear seat + 250 lb on the cargo area. I really felt it made the car much less bouncy and more comfortable.

So if I want to replicate the same situation by adjusting the suspension under normal pay load, what kind of setting should I go with? Can you please recommend component types and brands to go with based on your experience?

Thanks.
You'd have to do a complete coil over set up to be able to adjust the ride to what you are wanting. Air pressure would be the best way to adjust for it. Try dropping the pressure in the rear of the car if you are not carrying a load at all. A load also consists of passengers. The ST is at 36psi all the way around from the factory buy with no weight in the back that can be a bit harsh on the rear. The weight never really changes much on the front end for the most part.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I added sound deadening to all the doors and the rear hatch. It adds about 40 lbs and makes the car quieter. Just use 6 times more than I did and you will have an 80's Cadillac.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check your tires...my pressure was 55 psi from the dealership. I dropped it to 35 psi hot and ride quality was greatly increased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts