Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Need a sounding board from Suspension experts. I have a 2016 FoST. The high speed ride has been a little bouncy for my taste. Especially going on stretches of the freeway where it's not smooth. What I define as bouncy, is when you lean your head on the headrest, your head will be bouncing on and off it. When the road is nice or just around town (40 mph), no problem at all.

By chance, I was hauling some heavy loads over the weekend. 10 sacks of rice @ 40 lb each = 150 lb on the rear seat + 250 lb on the cargo area. I really felt it made the car much less bouncy and more comfortable.

So if I want to replicate the same situation by adjusting the suspension under normal pay load, what kind of setting should I go with? Can you please recommend component types and brands to go with based on your experience?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Why do you have heavy loads of rice in you're car? Do you know something we don't?

SO your wanting a squishy (more) struts? :question:
Not a siffer suspension i'm assuming.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Why do you have heavy loads of rice in you're car? Do you know something we don't?

Might be a Honda guy? :rolleyes:;):fordsmilie:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like rice. They were on sale. It's not like I'm buying lime. :crazy:

This is what I'm not sure about. If I want to make the suspension behaves like I am carrying a heavy load, wouldn't that translate into a stiffer setting rather than a more squishy setting?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Reactions: Unfitproduct

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, the Mountune Clubsport Suspension Kit mountune Clubsport Suspension Upgrade - Focus ST 2013-2017, 2363-CSU-AA combines stiffer springs and the Bilstein B8. It was often reviewed as providing a more "refined" ride like the Bilstein product in your link. But I don't know if I understand "more refined". I want to understand the mechanics behind stiffer spring rate can produce a more comfortable ride. It seems to support my experience with the 10 sacks of rice. But what's the logic behind it.

Anyone care to try to explain?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
So, the Mountune Clubsport Suspension Kit mountune Clubsport Suspension Upgrade - Focus ST 2013-2017, 2363-CSU-AA combines stiffer springs and the Bilstein B8. It was often reviewed as providing a more "refined" ride like the Bilstein product in your link. But I don't know if I understand "more refined". I want to understand the mechanics behind stiffer spring rate can produce a more comfortable ride. It seems to support my experience with the 10 sacks of rice. But what's the logic behind it.

"Stiffer" per-say could mean that it takes the hit of bumps better...like it's stronger so it takes the abuse better...and it seems like it would cause more turbulence in the cabin since it can't compress as much as soft shocks, but soft shocks give the car more time to move all that weight and cause the whole car to move. So the stiffer shocks take the hit and reset before the car has time to move much. Could be completely incorrect and confusing, but that's my take.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

Spring rate is less than half the story when it comes to comfort, the bulk of your control and comfort comes from proper valving of the shocks/struts. Folks tend to think that going to a higher spring rate equates to increased control or performance. But without a proper damper to control that spring rate, it's all for nothing other than bragging rights that they run a 10k spring or a 15k spring.

Watching this video:

Pick a spring, any spring... If we can speed up the or restrict the movement of the piston (proper damping control) we can effectively control and tune to any ride characteristic we want. This is what Bilstein has tried to attempt for their B6/B8 struts. It's not without compromise in perhaps slow speed stuff. But in general may behave like some cars handle from the factory, like a BMW as an example. I've seen decent midrange coilovers use a softer spring, but less compression and more rebound damping, offer better handling. (I'm not talking crap BC stuff or insert sub-$1000 brand).

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts

I think take more "refined" as meaning riding like a vehicle of higher quality/performance. I have Bilstein B8's and Eibach Pro Kit springs and I can assure you that my head will get bounced around if I ride around with it on the "head rest" (really a safety device to prevent whip lash and not meant to be a head rest at all).

·
Registered
262 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts