Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I bought a 2016 focus ST last year that already had a custom big turbo tune on it. I recently had to change a few parts on the car and it was running like ****. So I started doing some research on tuning companies and came across Monster Tuned. I highly recommend him. From the first email to the last email he was very helpful and friendly with all my questions about what was going on during the tuning process. It was the first remote tuning I have been part of and I feel it went smoothly and my car is definitely running way smoother and faster then it was on the old custom tune. So if your looking for a custom tune atleast look them up and ask some questions on their tuning process.

· Registered
2017 ST atp 2867, cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track , steeda Cai. Tuned by edge
262 Posts
I was not a fan of that tune myself, but I have been extremely happy with edge autosports and stratified not only in the tune and way the car ran, but In the customer service and amount of communication you can have with your tuner

· Vendor
979 Posts
I was not a fan of that tune myself, but I have been extremely happy with edge autosports and stratified not only in the tune and way the car ran, but In the customer service and amount of communication you can have with your tuner
Did you try our tune? Additionally he was stratified big turbo tune previously.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To each there own. Stratified was who did the old tune and the car always idled funny and now it idles smoother. I don't have anything against Stratified as a tuning company either cause they were also very helpful to me when I wasn't the original buyer of there tune. I just wanted to give someone else and chance and I'm pleased with the results from the tune and the customer service I received. As the car is my daily driver I was looking for a more reliable power tune then just pushing the car to it max output.

· Vendor
979 Posts
Yes I ran it when I had my stock turbo rite around when you came out with a revision to the first version
There's been a lot of changes to Adapt-X up until summer 2021

· Registered
2017 ST atp 2867, cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track , steeda Cai. Tuned by edge
262 Posts
Reliability will come from any tuner, never said anything about pushing the car to the max or even an aggressive tune. My car idled rough on that tune, the oar was never consistent and tons of negative corrections, would swap to a different tune and it all went away, car felt under powered then I got a revision and it felt even worse. Was the only tune I ever fully deleted off of my ap and just said the hell with it but go for it I’m not meaning to sound like I’m hating on the guy at all, was just my experience with the tune

· Vendor
979 Posts
Reliability will come from any tuner, never said anything about pushing the car to the max or even an aggressive tune. My car idled rough on that tune, the oar was never consistent and tons of negative corrections, would swap to a different tune and it all went away, car felt under powered then I got a revision and it felt even worse. Was the only tune I ever fully deleted off of my ap and just said the hell with it but go for it I’m not meaning to sound like I’m hating on the guy at all, was just my experience with the tune
I didn't see any mention of this in our email thread, just that your LTFT was 12-13% which is pretty standard on a focus st even on the oem tune. If you had issues why did you not reach out? Everyone has the same map, there's only 2 versions of the tune (pump gas/e30), so if you had these issues it would be pretty widespread, but all speed density/idle tables/fuel/spark are all factory, so if the car idled rough there had to be something mechanical going on. We usually have customers run the stage 0 (OEM) tune to try to replicate the same issues they experience on our map and I would have gone through that process with you, but you never mentioned any of the stuff in our email thread from 8/23/21 that you're mentioning here.

· Registered
262 Posts
That’s. Because when I switched to one of my other tunes jst strat or edge all of that went away so I just stopped running it. I’m also 40k more miles and have not had the issues since. 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not every car is going to react the same but my car does not feel under powered and I do not see a ton of negative ignition corrections. My AFR is pretty consistent during my daily drive and I'm actually getting slightly better fuel economy from when the strafied tune was on the car.

· Vendor
979 Posts
That’s. Because when I switched to one of my other tunes jst strat or edge all of that went away so I just stopped running it
'There's a lot of variables at play, I would have been happy to go through our troubleshooting process with you on Adapt-X Like I said we always have the customer flash the OEM tune and then compare, but I can't solve for problems that I'm not made aware of. I've not had anyone else report this issue to me yet either and it's been around 2 years with Adapt-X being out.

· Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
1,095 Posts
I am confused, I was told the Adapt-X was for stock turbo only, did the OP go back to stock? I have the Adapt-X and still get neg corrections, but attribute to false knock with the RMM and exhaust maybe.

· Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
I am confused, I was told the Adapt-X was for stock turbo only, did the OP go back to stock? I have the Adapt-X and still get neg corrections, but attribute to false knock with the RMM and exhaust maybe.
The O.P. bought a car with a big turbo, it was not performing to his liking and then he had Monster Tuned do a custom tune for him. The rest is all off on a tangent.

· Vendor
979 Posts
Adapt-X uses factory knock retard and factory ignition values, negative corrections are timing subtracted from the final timing curve so if advance is 0, 1 knock event becomes a -1 or -2. The range you'll see pretty often is -4/+6. You can flash the stage 0 OEM tune and will see similar ranges, just less advance.

Ignition correction is not a fair assessment of knock on aftermarket tunes, because the OTS maps cut knock retard in half from -1.00 at lowest intensity to -0.50, then rapidly increase advance at wide open throttle and with a base timing curve with less timing all you'll see is +2-8 at wot, but you could be knocking 10+ knocks per cylinder but the low intensity -0.50 knocks are not enough to subtract away from the massive advance being added due to the very conservative base timing.

The safe level of knocks on a wide open single gear pull are 3-4 knocks per cylinder. 8+ knocks per cylinder that's consistent every time on a 4th gear pull will eventually take it's toll 30k miles later.

OTS

Adapt-X

· Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST
1,095 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've been happy with the tune, just caught me off guard with the mention of big turbo. I had Stratified before and it was fun, definitely feel this is the better, safer option for a daily driver. No complaints on my end.

· Vendor
979 Posts
I’m Monster Tuned on 93 and have an E30 tune and couldn’t be happier. He’s frequently mentioned on this forum and most of the members are well aware of his tunes. But like previously stated, to each his own. I’m a big fan of the Adapt X
I'm very proud of my product and my work so when I hear there is an issue and I never even get a chance to take a look or investigate it really bothers me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts