Ford Focus ST Forum banner
61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Been rocking mine for a few weeks now, and been rocking it with an AP for almost a week. While moving, of course, I have seen charge air temps stay about 0.5 to 1 degree higher than ambient, even at WOT. Used my stock charge pipes, so hairspray trick to hold them on. Just a hose and a clamp.
Apart from the vaguely annoying squeaking sound that seems to be common of the stock turbo and a large intercooler, this thing has been awesome! And that squeaking is no fault of this specific IC.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST1
24 Posts
Finally got mine installed! And this thing is a BEAST, definitely lives up to the name, and was a pretty easy install. When installing it I noticed a dent on the bottom and hoping this wont effect anything , think it happened in shipping but not sure. But other than that the build quality is really good! Really happy about this mod. Will be testing it in these hot July days.

Edit: forgot to say I did have to relocate the passenger side horn, but that was pretty easy

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
My used CPe had a similar dent from shipping. I used a 3 inch wide chisel and gently Tapped the dent out using the hammer on a sharp angle and it flattened right out.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST1
24 Posts
My used CPe had a similar dent from shipping. I used a 3 inch wide chisel and gently Tapped the dent out using the hammer on a sharp angle and it flattened right out.
I was thinking to try something like this, but Felt like I would probably damage it more by trying to bend it out. If I ever have to take off the bumper again ill definitely try that

·
Vendor
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I had 4 inches of bubble wrap all the way around the fmic before it went into the box. Did the bubble wrap come off? was it popped?

·
Registered
960 Posts
yeah, that's such a shame to a beautiful piece! I know it's been noted about shipping issues already... Anyone who receives things regularly, like myself, can attest to the recent @$$hat treatment of packages for the last oh; 10+ months.

I think the lower lip will cover that, and minute decrease to flow efficiency since the bottom is not a chamber so it's only the fins in that one spot being restricted from the damage.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST1
24 Posts
yeah, that's such a shame to a beautiful piece! I know it's been noted about shipping issues already... Anyone who receives things regularly, like myself, can attest to the recent @$$hat treatment of packages for the last oh; 10+ months.

I think the lower lip will cover that, and minute decrease to flow efficiency since the bottom is not a chamber so it's only the fins in that one spot being restricted from the damage.
Yeah, don’t know why But most of my packages come beat up. It’s like they’re in a rally race to get the packages to the front door or something

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,546 Posts
Yeah, don’t know why But most of my packages come beat up. It’s like they’re in a rally race to get the packages to the front door or something
They launch them from a trebuchet for increased Delivery efficiency.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,595 Posts
FedEx just plain sucks these days. It's like they have a mission to destroy stuff. Anything remotely large or heavy seems like they used it for packaging drop testing.

·
Administrator
12,628 Posts
come on guys, 14 left. trying to reclaim a room in my house :)
Sounds like a steeper discount is in order... ;)

J/K, you cant be paying us to take the FMIC, that would be a very short lived business model.

·
Vendor
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Sounds like a steeper discount is in order... ;)

J/K, you cant be paying us to take the FMIC, that would be a very short lived business model.
I wish man! they cost $50-60 to ship between packaging and shipping costs, and the cores themselves were $200 (bought in bulk) fabricator here in Texas charged me $150 per unit. So they are pretty much at cost. $60 + $200 + 150 = $410. $499 - 3% paypal fees = 484. So I'm making $70 per intercooler at the current price which is very little for all the capital put into them lol. This is why are discontinued.

They were made in a batch of 30

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,595 Posts
Good quality and in stock 😎👍

Less trouble fitting than Depo etc.

Cheaper than comparable quality.

What more can folks want?

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Cmon fruitcakes, this is a GREAT deal.

USA made and better than most of the China-bay crap.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If only it was CARB legal.. 😩

Unless I want to swap back to the stock intercooler every two years, I'm stuck with either Mountune or COBB.. (Unless there's anything else out there carb legal that's worth considering?)

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts

Unless I want to swap back to the stock intercooler every two years, I'm stuck with either Mountune or COBB.. (Unless there's anything else out there carb legal that's worth considering?)
meh...I have had two turbo eclipses, one turbo vr4s, 3 turbo diesel trucks, and two turbo STs, ALL of which had upgraded intercoolers.

in my 13 years of dealing with Cali smog, none of the techs even looked at the FMICs, but I didn’t make mine flashy either...usually flat black with the original rusty clamps 😉

do it, worst case you gotta swap em every two years which is a couple hours job...hell, we used to swap VR4 turbos every two years just to pass smog 😂

·
Registered
131 Posts

Mishimoto! Unfortunately all CARB legal products are overpriced... I'm in SoCal, pay to play

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I wish man! they cost $50-60 to ship between packaging and shipping costs, and the cores themselves were $200 (bought in bulk) fabricator here in Texas charged me $150 per unit. So they are pretty much at cost. $60 + $200 + 150 = $410. $499 - 3% paypal fees = 484. So I'm making $70 per intercooler at the current price which is very little for all the capital put into them lol. This is why are discontinued.

I want my $70! I was told these were being sold basically at cost! (I'm kidding).

Seriously guys. I got one and it's fantastic quality. Help this man finish selling his stock.

·
Registered
2014 Focus ST (ST3)
54 Posts

You should have one less to sell now. ;)

61 - 80 of 111 Posts