Ford Focus ST Forum banner
41 - 60 of 273 Posts

·
Vendor
668 Posts
I'm also confused.

This is an excerpt from post number 65 of the adapt-x release thread.

Can you clarify?
Yes this was misinformation on my part as I did the first adapt-x on the F150 with cobb and it was global knock, the pre 2018 gt's are also global knock, I incorrectly assume the Focus was global knock and that cobb was setting it to per cylinder knock in the cobb firmware. I validated using hptuners it was by default per cylinder knock and corrected it in our emails and website a while ago.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
How did you get the update
I’m a beta tester for some of the monster tune revisions, so that’s how I got the file. In the past before I did the beta testing I got updates in an email.

I don’t know how this one was distributed, I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer, I would probably email monster tuned for the right answer

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
128 Posts
I’m a beta tester for some of the monster tune revisions, so that’s how I got the file. In the past before I did the beta testing I got updates in an email.

I don’t know how this one was distributed, I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer, I would probably email monster tuned for the right answer
I did and thank you

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Yep I got an email with updated per-cyl revision, thanks Tim!
It's as if you somehow knew I was gonna drive my ST today...

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
This is a new map that Tim has sent to a few of us (I'm guessing) that have been helping him by sending him logs as he makes changes; I just received mine and will be data logging for him shortly. I would imagine he will let you know when he has it ironed out completely.

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
128 Posts
This is a new map that Tim has sent to a few of us (I'm guessing) that have been helping him by sending him logs as he makes changes; I just received mine and will be data logging for him shortly. I would imagine he will let you know when he has it ironed out completely.
I’m sure he’s always been great with customer service normally responds immediately when ever I ask a question

·
Super Moderator
10,098 Posts
I’m sure he’s always been great with customer service normally responds immediately when ever I ask a question
I think he's kind of busy right now.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,624 Posts
Yes this was misinformation on my part as I did the first adapt-x on the F150 with cobb and it was global knock, the pre 2018 gt's are also global knock, I incorrectly assume the Focus was global knock and that cobb was setting it to per cylinder knock in the cobb firmware. I validated using hptuners it was by default per cylinder knock and corrected it in our emails and website a while ago.
I understand. Why change though? I liked that you did things differently from the other tuners, still achieving great results while having a greater safety net over every other tuner on the market.

·
Vendor
668 Posts
I understand. Why change though? I liked that you did things differently from the other tuners, still achieving great results while having a greater safety net over every other tuner on the market.
per cylinder makes more power

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,628 Posts
I like the idea of the adaptx tune, but don't wanna do it enough to get an accessport.

A computer should be able to tune and a phone able to at least log sufficiently by this point in time.

This is one downside of the ST platform.

·
Vendor
668 Posts
I like the idea of the adaptx tune, but don't wanna do it enough to get an accessport.

A computer should be able to tune and a phone able to at least log sufficiently by this point in time.

This is one downside of the ST platform.
$650 isn't a bad price you get the tune and the AP

I have 3 AP's in stock ready to ship

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,628 Posts
For the casual tinkerer not doing much in the way of hardware upgrades, the ap is an unnecessary expense, when you've already got the computing power in a phone and PC. Easier said than done for the programming, tho.

I basically would like to replicate the idea of a few buttons impacting power vs economy like eco, normal, sport for example.

The timing with the ST platform is off for the hardware available for someone having my perspective. It does represent fewer customers that might spend a little just for the work on the tune itself.

I don't want an extra device to mount, tinker with, and watch. I just want to pick the driving mode tune on my phone app.

·
Registered
492 Posts
For the casual tinkerer not doing much in the way of hardware upgrades, the ap is an unnecessary expense, when you've already got the computing power in a phone and PC. Easier said than done for the programming, tho.

I basically would like to replicate the idea of a few buttons impacting power vs economy like eco, normal, sport for example.

The timing with the ST platform is off for the hardware available for someone having my perspective. It does represent fewer customers that might spend a little just for the work on the tune itself.

I don't want an extra device to mount, tinker with, and watch. I just want to pick the driving mode tune on my phone app.
You bought the wrong car, SI or Type R is what you are after. I would take a ST/RS or WRX/STI any day over those Hondas.

·
Super Moderator
1,638 Posts

The casual user isn't going to buy an AP though. The AP is marketed towards enthusiasts. What you describe as wanting to do is also a niche market that would require a decent ROI for a dev to invest in.

The ST can be tuned with software on a PC, which I exactly what ProCal 3 software does with FRPP.

The other use case you speak of also has been developed, and it's a bad one - the use of "performance chips" that communicate via Bluetooth to the app on your device.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yeah the interface way with the dial is a mess, that plugs into connectors and tries to fool ecu. Also, not really much cheaper and still another device.

The ST is the right car for me overall in a number of ways.
I just won't make the investment in an AP to enjoy it and further tinker with it or monitor it occasionally.

Torque has been pretty stable on Android for awhile. For casual users, this has largely replaced the need for a code reader handheld.

I would be ok using a PC to do the heavy lifting of tuning and use available software. But the monitoring and datalogging has to happen on a phone in the future for the most customers. I mean, digital cameras are nearly obsolete for most people because they use their phones. Same idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone considering this tune needs to think hard about the E30 option. I didn't have access to E85 upon purchasing the tune, so the 91+ tune was all I thought I needed. Now, 2.5 months later, a new station opened with it, and I decided that I'd like to upgrade my tune. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing this tune, so I figured they would offer an upgrade option similar in price to their competitors. I guess they just want to be different considering their competitors are charging $100 and they want $200. So, if there is even the remotest chance that you might want to have the E30 option, get it upfront. Personally, I think I might be switching tuners.

·
Vendor
668 Posts
Anyone considering this tune needs to think hard about the E30 option. I didn't have access to E85 upon purchasing the tune, so the 91+ tune was all I thought I needed. Now, 2.5 months later, a new station opened with it, and I decided that I'd like to upgrade my tune. I did a lot of research prior to purchasing this tune, so I figured they would offer an upgrade option similar in price to their competitors. I guess they just want to be different considering their competitors are charging $100 and they want $200. So, if there is even the remotest chance that you might want to have the E30 option, get it upfront. Personally, I think I might be switching tuners.
I'm sorry you feel this way. Unfortunately I have way too much R&D time into these calibrations to sell them for $100. etuning as a whole has kinda hurt the market in the sense that tuning used to be a $600-$1000 service before online competition drastically lowered prices.

Customers have the option of ordering both tunes and saving $100 ($299) for both tunes upfront, however if you purchase only 1 tune and want to order the other tune later on it's essentially $199 for the tune as it was not opted to purchase both upfront and save. E30 is a completely separate file so there is only savings when they are bundled as a BOGO offer (buy one get one half off).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm sorry you feel this way. Unfortunately I have way too much R&D time into these calibrations to sell them for $100. etuning as a whole has kinda hurt the market in the sense that tuning used to be a $600-$1000 service before online competition drastically lowered prices.

Customers have the option of ordering both tunes and saving $100 ($299) for both tunes upfront, however if you purchase only 1 tune and want to order the other tune later on it's essentially $199 for the tune as it was not opted to purchase both upfront and save. E30 is a completely separate file so there is only savings when they are bundled as a BOGO offer (buy one get one half off).
I can understand your reluctance to offer any discount given the points you cited. I can see the value in offering separate 93 and E30 tunes for first time buyers that feel they don't need one or the other in order to save a little money. However, I can't see the value in not offering any form of discount to previous customers who's expected needs have changed. You've already demonstrated that you are willing to sell the calibrations for $150 each by offering a $100 discount when bundling them. Perhaps offering a $150 fuel upgrade option for returning customers would be an acceptable compromise?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is the new tune going to be available soon? Getting ready to order, but want to wait until it’s released.

41 - 60 of 273 Posts