Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I suspect this is a pretty uninformed question, but for people who do not want to monitor parameters for one reason or another using the AccessPort, does this tune function like / with the factory system to tell you something is amiss?
Ran a stratified tune for years and NEVER monitored anything. The Monster tune, one revision before this new X tune, I've yet to monitor/log anything. I see zero need to keep my AP in the car.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I suspect this is a pretty uninformed question, but for people who do not want to monitor parameters for one reason or another using the AccessPort, does this tune function like / with the factory system to tell you something is amiss?
I’m looking forward to trying this tune I was wondering about the cel with a downpipe as well

There is one thing, Tim told me that it wont throw a light for a downpipe, but the monitor is still running. The monitor has gone ready on my car, and it does start as "not ready" so it must be passing the drive cycle, but he told me it wouldn't throw a light.

As far as I know everything else should be normal.

·
Registered
492 Posts
In the spring, I’m going to give the E30 tune a go. It’s supposed to make more hp then my current E30 tune and being safer is a bonus.
I still think you should monitor after filling up to make sure the gas or mix is good and your making as much hp as possible.

·
Super Moderator
10,081 Posts
Are NGK 95605 Ruthenium HX spark plugs appropriate for this Adapt-X tune?
Are they one step colder than the factory plugs? I'm running the ruthenium, but don't remember the part number off hand.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,440 Posts
Are NGK 95605 Ruthenium HX spark plugs appropriate for this Adapt-X tune?
Those are the 1-step colder plugs, so yes, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That's great to know. I purchased a set a few months ago to have on hand when the time comes, and I'm pretty certain I'm headed for this Adapt-X tune (once I obtain an AP).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got my probs ironed out (due to my own ignorance. I am new to the accessport and this is the first time I have had a car I did not have dyno tuned)

Got the 93 tune running perfect so yesterday. I was totally out of fuel so I did my E30 blend, drove 20 miles and changed to the E30 tune this afternoon.

Just driving to the store, when I tipped in throttle to about 1/2-3/4 it added timing according to the AP. I drove around for 15 minutes until it stopped it seemed to stabilize. I punched it in second gear. Just spun up to redline. Played for a bit then hit the store. It pulls really good.

It feels like the car is stock when driving normally. Very impressed with the tune, the patience and communication with MT staff.

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
128 Posts
I ordered this tune today after work I was blown away by the customer service and the fact I was uploading it to to the car before I went to bed. Took the car for a test drive and everything felt great. Can’t wait to give it a real test and will be posing more when I actually get some miles on it

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Update:

I just received the latest update to this tune from Tim, switching from global knock to per cylinder knock control in an effort to become even closer to the stock calibration.

This particular update has been the single most impressive one so far. It feels noticeably faster and runs really well with little to no knock ever. I have no clue what he changed but this version of adaptx is amazing. Hands down.

This outruns my old tune by a long way, I plan on driving it for a few hundred miles and giving it a detailed review.

If you’re on the fence, or don’t want to research a million tuners just buy this tune. This is very well refined and very well designed.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Update:

I just received the latest update to this tune from Tim, switching from global knock to per cylinder knock control in an effort to become even closer to the stock calibration.

Wait...we're back to per cylinder knock? I thought the OEM tune used global knock...

I literally just took the ST for a spin for the first time in months, and since getting my Fusion Sport, and man I have been spoiled by the AWD 2.7 twin turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wait...we're back to per cylinder knock? I thought the OEM tune used global knock...
That’s what I thought too, I swear Tim had said that to me but he told me that the push towards per cylinder is in an effort to get closer to OEM.

I’m not sure if the global knock based tune was a stopgap tune, or if it was an attempt to port features from other Ford vehicles to the ST

I’m hoping monster tuned can chime in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I emailed Tim this morning with a couple of questions, but I'm probably going to switch to Adapt-X once the ST comes out of hibernation.

Reactions: Blackula

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
That’s what I thought too, I swear Tim had said that to me but he told me that the push towards per cylinder is in an effort to get closer to OEM.

I’m not sure if the global knock based tune was a stopgap tune, or if it was an attempt to port features from other Ford vehicles to the ST

I’m hoping monster tuned can chime in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word, glad to hear the latest version is running well, I'm psyched!

You install mustang throttle body yet? I will be soon with the weather warming, re-train the throttle mapping and flash the latest tune...

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,440 Posts
Yeah, I thought global was the safest bet to avoiding knock?

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Word, glad to hear the latest version is running well, I'm psyched!

You install mustang throttle body yet? I will be soon with the weather warming, re-train the throttle mapping and flash the latest tune...
I’ve been too lazy lol, I’m putting in my CPE exhale kit so I’ll probably do the TB at the same time this weekend.

·
Vendor
673 Posts
OEM tune uses per cylinder knock. I switched to global to reduce the number of knock events when getting closer to the knock threshold, but was able to achieve this with per cylinder reliably which offers increased performance. I'll always try to improve where possible.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,594 Posts
I'm also confused.

This is an excerpt from post number 65 of the adapt-x release thread.

I think some education is needed in regards to the tune. The tune is using global knock (not even stage 0 uses global knock) factory OEM uses global knock. If all 4 cylinders knock on tip-in (usually from RMM rubbing) This can instantly cause a -6. This is why on the stock tune sometimes when you do a pull it feels like there is no power. With global knock the correction for 1 cylinder applies to all 4 cylinder, so if 4 cylinders show a knock then it's going to add them together.

Can you clarify?

·
Registered
2017 ST cp-e fmic ,invidia hi-flow downpipe, awe track exhaust , steeda Cai. Monster adapt x tune
128 Posts
Update:

This particular update has been the single most impressive one so far. It feels noticeably faster and runs really well with little to no knock ever. I have no clue what he changed but this version of adaptx is amazing. Hands down.

This outruns my old tune by a long way, I plan on driving it for a few hundred miles and giving it a detailed review.

If you’re on the fence, or don’t want to research a million tuners just buy this tune. This is very well refined and very well designed.
How did you get the update

21 - 40 of 273 Posts