Ford Focus ST Forum banner
221 - 240 of 273 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 · (Edited)
So explain why ffs is so bad?
Your still pushing in the clutch, the engine still pauses for a brief second, and you shift. The pause is just faster than what u could do with your foot. It's not like its reving high and dumping the clutch every shift.
I'm not slamming the gears, im not getting any drive line shock, it feels slightly like how a DCT shifts. If that makes any sense.
it is high revving dumping the clutch every shift, depending on where you set the rev limiter. Mine is at 5500. When you push the clutch in the car hits the 5.5k limiter, while the speed of the vehicle drops. When you dump the clutch, or let it out again, the clutch plate will have a lot of torque on it from the fact that the motor is spinning so fast. It will burn out your clutch over time.

Its much harder on the driveline than a normal shift, and its a fast shift so its hard on the synchros.

its more wear

·
Registered
2017 Fost
36 Posts
I guess it just doesnt seem that harsh in my car to me. Its actually pretty smooth. I have been driving stick for about 30 years, so it's not new to me at all. I know how to shift smooth and fast, but with the monster tune, it doesn't feel like what people have compared it to at all.
It just pauses and resumes the throttle or revs faster than what I could myself. I dont shift any differently than if I was accelerating fast and not using it.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
There's just something inside me that cringes at the thought of leaving my foot at WOT while pushing in the clutch. I trust that it's possible, just goes against the ol stick shift instinct.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sounds like I'm not doing it. Lol. Need this car to last me a while yet without any more major repairs.
I don’t use it either or launch control. The cobb traction control is hard on the clutch also, but Monster doesn’t offer it for this very reason, with good tires it’s not needed either.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,594 Posts
So explain why ffs is so bad?
Your still pushing in the clutch, the engine still pauses for a brief second, and you shift. The pause is just faster than what u could do with your foot. It's not like its reving high and dumping the clutch every shift.
I'm not slamming the gears, im not getting any drive line shock, it feels slightly like how a DCT shifts. If that makes any sense.
As you mentioned, you're shifting even faster than a normal fast shift. A lot of these guys run shorter shifters which also mechanically reduce the shift time. This breaks synchros. Then people complain about the mmt6 synchros being junk. No, they just got the dogshit beat out of them.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Nice! Monstertuned over a year, ran Adapt-X hard this summer. Back to back pulls in 90F+ heat (with aftermarket intercooler) is smooth and consistent.

Yea this tune rips, but we need stickers!
I've skipped every sticker I've gotten so far. I'm install a Monster Tuned or Adapt X sticker. Only if Tim promises us +5 HP per sticker, though.

Reactions: ddfred

·
Vendor
673 Posts
I've skipped every sticker I've gotten so far. I'm install a Monster Tuned or Adapt X sticker. Only if Tim promises us +5 HP per sticker, though.
-5 hp per sticker. comes with free revision to remove 5 hp

·
Vendor
673 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm I the only one laughing at this? did my sense of humor go too far :p
I did. Wide open door so I dove right for a gif I had once seen about a de-tuned Honda with a dude that had a sad look on his face, but I couldn't find it... Sorry! LOL

·
Registered
978 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,607 Posts
After getting the monster FMIC, I'm also waiting to get a downpipe and a little seat time with it before a tune.
Hoping CVF would have one available, but not yet.
Anyone try the ~$300 ebay ones that look like knockoffs of the 300 cell Gesi one Cobb sells? They look a little sketchy and don't mention cell count.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I am saving up for the Monster Tuned Adapt-X tune, but in the meantime- I would like to install my Accessport. I plugged it into my ST, and it correctly identified it as a 2017 ST. I was hoping that there's a way to just install the AP on the stock tune, so I could at least try out the functionality (I've now owned this device for 8 months but have never plugged it in, other than updating it via AP Manager). When I click "Install" it looks like it wants me to select a tune, but I am not convinced I should be running Cobb's OTS tunes, so I was hoping I could just use it to monitor the stock tune, but apparently not. Is that true, or am I missing something?

I did not end up installing the AP, but while I was in there- I checked for codes since it was an option and it found 3 of them: P007D (Charge Air Cooler Temperature Sensor Circuit High (bank 1), P06B8, and U0284. This car has a Mountune FMIC, and a Steeda Cold Air Intake (which I am guessing is the genesis of the P007D code) and no CEL, and no drivability or performance issues, so I was surprised to see any stored codes (other than the U0284 which is due to the AGS system being removed).

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
I am saving up for the Monster Tuned Adapt-X tune, but in the meantime- I would like to install my Accessport. I plugged it into my ST, and it correctly identified it as a 2017 ST. I was hoping that there's a way to just install the AP on the stock tune, so I could at least try out the functionality (I've now owned this device for 8 months but have never plugged it in, other than updating it via AP Manager). When I click "Install" it looks like it wants me to select a tune, but I am not convinced I should be running Cobb's OTS tunes, so I was hoping I could just use it to monitor the stock tune, but apparently not. Is that true, or am I missing something?

I did not end up installing the AP, but while I was in there- I checked for codes since it was an option and it found 3 of them: P007D (Charge Air Cooler Temperature Sensor Circuit High (bank 1), P06B8, and U0284. This car has a Mountune FMIC, and no CEL, and no drivability or performance issues, so I was surprised to see any stored codes (other than the U0284 which is due to the AGS system being removed).
When you install select stage 0, its the stock tune in a format that the AP understands.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
When you install select stage 0, its the stock tune in a format that the AP understands.
OK- I know this sounds like a stupid question, but just for the sake of clarity- would the Cobb Stage 0 tune be considered safe, or at least the same as the stock tune?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
OK- I know this sounds like a stupid question, but just for the sake of clarity- would the Cobb Stage 0 tune be considered safe, or at least the same as the stock tune?
it is identical to stock in every single way, so very safe

221 - 240 of 273 Posts