Ford Focus ST Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
^^^ makes sense, lol.
It's an excellent reason to get a real tune from a reputable tuner; no more maximum boost for a timed period. Prevailing conditions always determine boost levels.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I think he's referring to the factory 'overboost' function. How there was some magic that you get higher boost levels for a short duration. Fiesta ST's have that as well. Personally I've never noticed, and the 'availability' is so that the option is pretty much always there. Call it 'normal boost' lol.
Ah thats right i forgot about that stupid name ford gave that.

And you are right, what i found was that as long as you use 91 or greater it lets you hit 18 PSI, if you don't you only get 15.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST1 Kona Blue @slowcus
154 Posts
I'll be keeping a close eye to my boost levels with the actual accesport but it seems that I constantly max out at 15-17 psi on every WOT run. With E30 I was expecting more boost, but I understand now that has nothing to do with the boost but rather with ignition, which I HAVE noticed. My RPMs go up fast!

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I'll be keeping a close eye to my boost levels with the actual accesport but it seems that I constantly max out at 15-17 psi on every WOT run. With E30 I was expecting more boost, but I understand now that has nothing to do with the boost but rather with ignition, which I HAVE noticed. My RPMs go up fast!
You should be getting at least 22 pounds, you should run a boost leak test

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST1 Kona Blue @slowcus
154 Posts
You should be getting at least 22 pounds, you should run a boost leak test
I do get 21+ SOMETIMES but not very often and definitely not when I'm WOT. Do you think I still need the boost leak test?

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
I do get 21+ SOMETIMES but not very often and definitely not when I'm WOT. Do you think I still need the boost leak test?
Yeah absolutely, unless it’s -10f where you are lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,526 Posts
@Jendo Albuquerque, NM elevation is 5,100 ft. Also looking at the weather data, looks like you've been in the 90s.

I'd say your peak boost is correct for elevation and temperature.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
@Jendo Albuquerque, NM elevation is 5,100 ft. Also looking at the weather data, looks like you've been in the 90s.

I'd say your peak boost is correct for elevation and temperature.
I think TurboGT is on the right track. Didn't even consider where you lived and atmospheric conditions. This is probably the exact reason total boost is lower than someone with same car/tune at sea-level.

·
Registered
938 Posts
IDK exactly how that works... My understanding is that colder air is more dense, thus produces more boost on a cold day than it would on a hot day; At the same elevation.

Sea level has more dense air/more atmospheric pressure than a higher elevation in general. If the 2 locations were the same temperature and such, the car runs much better and makes more power at sea level...

My puzzle now is to figure out the ratio of density caused by colder air than warmer air at higher elevations. As most of you know, it's always at least a few degrees cooler the higher you go up above sea-level... So wouldn't the car be less efficient even if it's super cold on top of a mountain vs at sea-level on a hot day? Having lunchtime brain fart to wrap my head around this formula. lol

61 - 69 of 69 Posts