Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,951 Posts
Thanks Monster. Will do,

I wish someone had a dyno with just the diff between a stock DP and a high flow. I looked at the size of the turbo and even if there is a flattened bend it should flow enough. Surely not 15-20 HP worth.

Do I just have an incorrect preconceived notion?
I won't speak to HP, but I will say that next to a new more efficient intercooler a replacement downpipe (even with a catalytic converter) will always be second on my suggested upgrades list.

The overall reduction of drive pressure and subsequent exhaust reversion will always be a benefit to you ST. The engine is nothing more than a mechanical pump at the end of the day. Running elevated boost pressure levels on a small turbocharger like the K03 will need all the help if can get.

Better flow = more exhaust output, better cylinder scavenging, & a reduction in EGT (as long as someone doesn't fatten up the AFR that is).

Fancy air intakes and cat-back exhausts are in the beginning purely cosmetic. Later on you will gain more power with them but only after the other systems have been upgraded and properly tuned.

A good quality DP that isn't beating on anything causing false knock is an excellent upgraded for the longevity of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,049 Posts
Lol, so not an actual dyno. Got it.
No, and not really accurate, but, a useful tool for comparison if you take your logs on the same road under similar conditions. Consistency is key for useful comparison.

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, and not really accurate, but, a useful tool for comparison if you take your logs on the same road under similar conditions. Consistency is key for useful comparison.
Fair enough. I guess a baseline is still a baseline... even if it's not 100%.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas. I got a TREMENDOUS deal on an Agency Power catback and it sounds awesome but it does drone from time to time. I figure a DP will exacerbate that and increase in cabin dB which is a NO GO for me. Both my motorcycles are loud and I do not want to piss off the neighbors with my car too.

You think hi flow catted DP and add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator would get me back to where I am now in sound? I am fine if it is even a little quieter.

Appreciate you guys' help. Learning a lot. I have the $$$ for depo 100 cell catted DP now. Would love to see how my Monster Adapt tune does with that. Although i would like to wait for my warranty to expire this year.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,527 Posts
You think hi flow catted DP and add a vibrant ultra quiet resonator would get me back to where I am now in sound? I am fine if it is even a little quieter.
I'll Be able to answer this question for you in a month or 2 when i wire up my welder.

I was happy with the overall volume of my Thermal exhaust with stock DP. Installed the Thermal catted DP and its too loud, so i will be welding in a vibrant. I'll let you know if its equal or quieter than stock DP.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just flashed the Adapt-x E30 and ran some back roads but I jumped on the hwy and did part throttle pulls in 5th starting at 65(above 2.5k) and the OAR went to -1. The Sheetz in Raleigh, NC was only at E72 so 5 gallons went in on first fill up. Should be to E85 in the next few weeks, I saw Mustangs using the yellow handle also.

The low % throttle feels great, smoother then Stratified E30 v10.2 pulling from a stop, which is hard to believe. It is nice having the full range of throttle and boost coming in linear and only getting full boost 75-100% like stock. Traction is good, still holding 2nd WOT and 1st is easy to modulate thanks to the boost not going to max below 1/2 throttle. I don’t miss the Strat traction control.

The power is really good, I feel this tune pulls harder to 5800, which in nice, Strat tune kinda fell off before then. I am also running 23.8 lbs, compared to the Strat at 23.1. Strat tune maxed advance at 3.5 but Monster 5+ at WOT. I’m not sure how much timing these represent, but there is more advance to work with in this tune. Car feels more relaxed if that makes sense but WOT and it comes alive. This is on the stock dp.

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
I just flashed the Adapt-x E30 and ran some back roads but I jumped on the hwy and did part throttle pulls in 5th starting at 65(above 2.5k) and the OAR went to -1. The Sheetz in Raleigh, NC was only at E72 so 5 gallons went in on first fill up. Should be to E85 in the next few weeks, I saw Mustangs using the yellow handle also.

The low % throttle feels great, smoother then Stratified E30 v10.2 pulling from a stop, which is hard to believe. It is nice having the full range of throttle and boost coming in linear and only getting full boost 75-100% like stock. Traction is good, still holding 2nd WOT and 1st is easy to modulate thanks to the boost not going to max below 1/2 throttle. I don’t miss the Strat traction control.

The power is really good, I feel this tune pulls harder to 5800, which in nice, Strat tune kinda fell off before then. I am also running 23.8 lbs, compared to the Strat at 23.1. Strat tune maxed advance at 3.5 but Monster 5+ at WOT. I’m not sure how much timing these represent, but there is more advance to work with in this tune. Car feels more relaxed if that makes sense but WOT and it comes alive.
Sounds like he's using different tables than Strat. I'm in the process of revising my E30 tune with them now.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like he's using different tables than Strat. I'm in the process of revising my E30 tune with them now.
The tune is totally different from a typical cobb based tune, apparently. I’m really happy with it so far.

·
Vendor
661 Posts
The tune is totally different from a typical cobb based tune, apparently. I’m really happy with it so far.
Forged from a metal not of this world called tuninium.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,527 Posts
Thanks TurboGT. I will wait patiently for your assessment. Please do not forget us here. I will look forward to the post.
I know its off topic but i said id update- the vibrant dropped sound levels to slightly below factory Downpipe levels inside and outside the car. I'm very happy with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
I know its off topic but i said id update- the vibrant dropped sound levels to slightly below factory Downpipe levels inside and outside the car. I'm very happy with this.
It’s time to tune, the Monster is like stock until WOT. It keeps the engine safe at all times, by using the stock knock corrections, not dumbed down. It does not boost all the time at part throttle, it is very linear just like stock. I think you should give the Tune a go, before you swap the stock turbo out, you might not even need to after.

·
Super Moderator
4,527 Posts
It’s time to tune, the Monster is like stock until WOT. It keeps the engine safe at all times, by using the stock knock corrections, not dumbed down. It does not boost all the time at part throttle, it is very linear just like stock. I think you should give the Tune a go, before you swap the stock turbo out, you might not even need to after.
I do like this about this particular tune. I went with a gearhead adaptive tune on my ecoboost f150 for safety reasons as well.

The community is putting the pressure on. Maybe i should start a gofundme. ;)

·
Registered
289 Posts

This pleases me. I will get one and have it installed. I have a guy who welds stainless with stainless so it should look good and last. Now time to shop for a catted DP.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
This pleases me. I will get one and have it installed. I have a guy who welds stainless with stainless so it should look good and last. Now time to shop for a catted DP.
My recommendation is for cobb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,419 Posts
I do like this about this particular tune. I went with a gearhead adaptive tune on my ecoboost f150 for safety reasons as well.

The community is putting the pressure on. Maybe i should start a gofundme. ;)
Come on.. tune your car..

Reactions: junits15
21 - 40 of 69 Posts