Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm planning on getting a 2015+ Focus ST soon and I was wondering what mods are good but won't hurt the car?

At first, I was thinking about just getting the stratified tune with a custom exhaust but I wasn't sure if this will affect the engine in a bad way. I also plan on making it a daily car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Adding power could reduce longevity. But if you buy a tune from a well know tuner you should be fine. Lots of people on here have been tuned for many miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Adding power could reduce longevity. But if you buy a tune from a well know tuner you should be fine. Lots of people on here have been tuned for many miles.
To be honest, I really just want something that would make the car sound nice (loud enough for cops to not pull me over/neighbors not to hate on me) with maybe a little HP gain (252 is enough for me). Again, I've been watching videos on YT about the Stratified tune with its crackle/pops, but not too sure if that is bad for the car. Any recommendations for maybe a better tune that the engine would like?

P.S.- That Stealth Grey is the one I want lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Or hit up Altitude Autowerks.. we sell em on rebeldevil.com, he also has a new version coming out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi, I'm planning on getting a 2015+ Focus ST soon and I was wondering what mods are good but won't hurt the car?

At first, I was thinking about just getting the stratified tune with a custom exhaust but I wasn't sure if this will affect the engine in a bad way. I also plan on making it a daily car.
If you purchase your access port from Freektune, you can add a full eTune for $75.

Justin is a master at pulling the power out of the car safely... Just let him know that it's your daily driver and you'll love the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
If you purchase your access port from Freektune, you can add a full eTune for $75.

Justin is a master at pulling the power out of the car safely... Just let him know that it's your daily driver and you'll love the results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
With any tune though just make sure you remember that you should emphasize "safety" or else you'll probably be receiving a tune which is as close to the edge of dangerous as they can "safely" get. Hence the potential loss in reliability. Stratified is another extremely recommended Tuner. I agree with the CP-E recommendation by @UnfocusedST unless you're on a tight budget and go Depo. Steeda is also identical to CP-E and I wouldn't pass one of those up if it went on sale for cheaper than CP-E.

I have the CP-E lightweight and it is great.

·
Registered
825 Posts
IMO any tune will invalidate the engine warranty, except the Ford Racing tune
(which still invalidates the original warranty but offers a separate Ford Racing warranty good at Ford dealers.)
Remember this site is mostly folks who LIKE tuning and support aftermarket tunes.
So the general gist will be get a tune. However ANY after market tune invalidates the engine warranty.
Which is bad.
Also, a tune REQUIRES you to pay attention to adjusting the tune. If you do not, then you probably will
end up with problems.

Things which can be upgraded are after cat muffler exhaust. Without changing the cat, the rest of the exhaust
is no problem for any other warranty work.
Upgrading the intercooler IS going to affect the OEM warranty, But exactly how is ???

If you want reliability, and a warranty.. Skip most of the aftermarket stuff except a post cat exhaust.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
To be honest, I really just want something that would make the car sound nice (loud enough for cops to not pull me over/neighbors not to hate on me) with maybe a little HP gain (252 is enough for me). Again, I've been watching videos on YT about the Stratified tune with its crackle/pops, but not too sure if that is bad for the car. Any recommendations for maybe a better tune that the engine would like?

P.S.- That Stealth Grey is the one I want lol
If the 252hp is enough for you, I would maybe try a few other cheaper options to improve your car. I recommend a stiffer rear motor mount. Mountune and CP-E make popular options without much added NVH or break-in period. The stiffer mount helps reduce torque steer and is suggested for a "stage 1" tune anyways. Along with that, I have been happy with the front traction bar made by TBperformance Products, this also helps reduce torque steer and slightly reduces vibes from your new stiffer RMM. Boomba trans and shifter bushings can really clean up your shifting, and a short shifter or new shift arm can shorten the row-boat shift up. Try looking through this thread for good ideas http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-accessories/24389-show-off-your-shifter-setups.html . The breedt and JBR shift arms are great and Boomba or FRPP make good short shifters, to save you 500 pages lol.

Reactions: jplst

·
Registered
162 Posts
Even without a tune I would get a bigger intercooler. Power will be much more consistent. The stock one really is a joke.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts