Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 256 Posts

·
Vendor
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No joke this car is underrated beyond belief. Volkswagen has always been conservative but this much? Crazy!!!
We also corner weighted the vehicle, granted this is the absolute base model it's lighter than we expected.
Now it all makes sense why these are slightly faster in a straight line than the Focus ST.

*VW claims 210hp & 258tq. With 15% drive train loss we are seeing 263hp & 314tq while 100% stock.

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5210.JPG

Curb weight with a full tank of gas...
IMG_5211.JPG

GTI dyno runs...
IMG_5225.JPG

Stock MK7 GTI dyno runs vs Stock Focus ST dyno runs, they are extremely close...
IMG_5226.JPG

·
Registered
630 Posts
Wow...

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Damn. Maybe that was true for the 2013s as well. Ran a few of those a few different times and they were the only cars keeping up with me.

Them damn lying German sons of *****es!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Remarkable. But isn't 15% drivetrain loss a little on the high side for FWD? JP

·
Vendor
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn. Maybe that was true for the 2013s as well. Ran a few of those a few different times and they were the only cars keeping up with me.

Them damn lying German sons of *****es!
2013 was also slightly underrated, they normally put down like ~190-200whp and ~200wtq stock.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Still looks like a Jelly Bean! Just need a white fluffy rabbit behind the wheel. Rabbit .... made another joke. :)

·
Vendor
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remarkable. But isn't 15% drivetrain loss a little on the high side for FWD? JP
Not for the Dynojet, that's what we have used for many years, keeping in mind it's only an estimated value.
Stock Zetec makes between 108-112whp = 124-129hp
Stock 2.3l Duratec makes about 128-132whp = 147-152hp
So 15% is actually on the low side for those vehicles.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Wow that's crazy. I really do like the looks of them, just not crazy about vw reliability.
I have to say that with my experience with the ST my last 22 years of driving exclusively VAG products have shown VAG products to have MUCH better build quality and reliability. I kind of feel the ST is a piece of crap comparing it to my Audi's and VW's.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Vendor
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea that's cool and all VW until your cam follower goes on your brand new car at 5,000 miles lol. I'll stick to Ford and BMW.
All cars have issues, that's not what we are comparing. We know the Focus ST use to come with a extremely bad rear engine mount, boost hoses which popped off, coolant hoses which have popped off, shift bushings which prematurely wear out, etc.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Not for the Dynojet, that's what we have used for many years, keeping in mind it's only an estimated value.
Stock Zetec makes between 108-112whp = 124-129hp
Stock 2.3l Duratec makes about 128-132whp = 147-152hp
So 15% is actually on the low side for those vehicles.
Yes, you're right that these numbers are subject to the margin of error of the dyno. The two examples you cited both show the same 13% drivetrain loss. Your overall point is well taken. This car is very conservatively rated. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Reliability is not a word any Ford owner should throw around, lucky should be used for lack of a better term
Nor should VW be throwing around "good-looking". JP

·
Registered
76 Posts
Reliability is not a word any Ford owner should throw around, lucky should be used for lack of a better term

^ I think it depends on the persons experience. We had a ford econoline from 1978 until 1994 that required no major repairs and was still on its original engine and trans 300,000 miles later. Then a 1994 Ranger that was just sold in 2013 that had over 250,000 miles on it with no major repairs. Then my first 2001 focus, 200,000 miles no major repairs. Then my 2005 Saleen focus which had no major repairs up to 140,000 miles until i traded it in on my Focus ST which is now at 35,000 miles. Only problem i have had so far was a faulty Turbo that went at 7k (covered under warranty and has been fine since). For me, thats a damn fine track record. But as with any brand, your experiences may vary.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've stated it before the GTI is a sleeper in this hatch turbo game. They deserve respect and are quick. Like the previous poster said a little tweak with the comp and bam you have a lighter faster car than the Speed3 or ST. Problems with the GTI is they can't handle for ****.
Until a recent post of the new Golf R on the track against the 15 STI and the new Audi S3. Victory went to the new Golf R for fastest laps, that car flat hauls. I've been told all the US models are all pre sold and buyers have to get on a waiting list. So now we wait until next week to be told RS will be AWD. Which I'm confident it will because I heard the new Speed3 will be AWD.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Yea that's cool and all VW until your cam follower goes on your brand new car at 5,000 miles lol. I'll stick to Ford and BMW.
You say that about VW and then say youll stick to BMW? I must be thinking of a different company.

·
Registered
116 Posts
well with APR n bankruptcy an being sued for several false parts that didn't work especially for the supercharged audis I can wait too see the cost of this car with some mild mods that actually work. now VW offers this car in a couple trim levels I believe or may be wrong but I thought the standard issued GTI still put down 200 an 210. an the one that had the performance pack for more than couple grand was 210-220hp an 250tq. judging by this their stock performance pack will run off an leave most focus sts. my car weighs 3160. but its jus a st1 as I wanted the lightest one I could buy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
1 - 20 of 256 Posts