Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had my RS hood vents installed for a little over a year now and I love them. I originally used 3M double sided moulding tape to mount them and while it works, it pushes the vents off of the hood a big and stops them from looking flush with the rest of the hood. I'm now looking for a more permanent way to re-mount them and to get them flush with the hood. For those of you who have the vents, how did you install them? I've heard a lot of people use silicone to stick them...what kind of silicone? Did you need to weigh them down or clamp them? I'd prefer a method that won't need to "set" for a while...definitely not a method I would need to remove the hood for...

Please give me some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Common clear silicone caulk would work. But there are better adhesives you can use from the likes of 3m and others. Just go to your local autoparts store and browse their adhesives section.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
I used the 3M Acrylic tape--the good stuff that body shops use, not the cheap stuff from WalMart.
I will say that with my vents, one corner on each one does not fit perfectly flush with the hood, but its due to the shape vent not being the same as the shape of the hood.
Mine is holding fine, just doesn't look quite perfect. Probably a little heat gun action would help, and I may go that route at some point.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used the 3M Acrylic tape--the good stuff that body shops use, not the cheap stuff from WalMart.
I will say that with my vents, one corner on each one does not fit perfectly flush with the hood, but its due to the shape vent not being the same as the shape of the hood.
Mine is holding fine, just doesn't look quite perfect. Probably a little heat gun action would help, and I may go that route at some point.
This is basically what I used. Could you link what you used? Did you just put the tape around the edges of the vents and stick them on?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure this is what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/3M-06384-Acr...&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+acrylic+double+sided+tape
The real key to getting this to really hold well is to also use the 3M 94 primer.
I put the tape all the way around the recess in the vents; the more coverage that you can get, the better the results.
Interesting, I never thought about using a primer...I just ordered a 1/2 pint and I'll be getting new tape and trying to re-apply the vents this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts