Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Completing The Package - Mishimoto’s Focus ST Intercooler Piping R&D

Hey guys!

With the release of our Performance Intercooler right around the corner, I figured what better time than now to let everyone know that we are developing some upgraded intercooler pipes to go along with it! A full write-up of the project will be posted in this thread tomorrow, so check back tomorrow for that. Below is a sneak peak of what's to come!

-Diamaan

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Completing the Package - Intercooler Piping R&D, Part 1: Already Halfway There

The 2013+ Focus ST begs for more power. While it isn’t the easiest thing to accomplish, our engineers are here to help give you quality parts that will help push your ST to and over the edge of high performance. As our release for our Performance Intercooler sits on the horizon, there’s no better time than the second official day of summer ‘17 to tell you Focus ST enthusiasts that we are also developing upgraded intercooler piping to compliment it, because, why stop there?

First, just by looking at the stock system, we knew we could make some significant improvements. All along visible areas of the pipe, there are few consistent paths of smooth airflow. There are size reductions, accordion-type sections and overall small piping that we know we can improve upon. The easiest and quickest way to materialize the ideas in our engineer’s head is with the use of our 3D printer.

The next step was to design everything in a drafting program and use our 3D printer to create some scale models of the design for test fitment. We wouldn’t be able to do any dyno testing on them as the printed filament used won’t stand up to the heat, but it will give us an idea of what changes must be made regarding fitment, should the need arise. Using a 3D printer saves us a lot of headache and engineering time since we don’t have to go through the painstakingly long process of making actual metal pipes from scratch. That can be time consuming, especially if a dimension is off by even a tiny bit.

These 3D parts are printed in a matter of hours, and if something doesn’t print correctly, or needs to be adjusted (which, in our R&D facility, doesn’t happen often), it’s only a matter of a few extra hours to get the part redesigned or re-printed before it’s ready to go. It’s the closest we can get without having a production level, testable part manufactured. We need to be sure everything is as spot-on as possible, from the bracketry, to the pipe angle, and orientation before we dive head-first into a fully manufactured part.

Below, you can see how our 3D hot side pipe fits. The sizing is larger overall and clears everything in its path. Since we can’t print the entire pipe in once piece, it had to be made in sections and pieced together. This gives us a general idea of how things will fit, and we’ll be able to catch any glaring issues before the designs get made into the real thing.

Rather than give everything away in the first post, I’ll show you how these pipes performed, what the final prototypes look like and how they look on a 2013 Focus ST. I can tell you that these pipes will fit both the factory intercooler for all current model years of the ST and our performance intercooler. Stay tuned for more!

-Diamaan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Would be neat if it was 2.25". There are already a number of 2.5" pipes and 2" pipes on the market. 2.25" would be great, as it would increase flow without sacrificing velocity, and wouldn't have such a tight fit, potential rubbing issues, etc., some have had with bigger 2.5" pipes. Would also be a size both the stock turbo and BT guys can use.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Would be neat if it was 2.25". There are already a number of 2.5" pipes and 2" pipes on the market. 2.25" would be great, as it would increase flow without sacrificing velocity, and wouldn't have such a tight fit, potential rubbing issues, etc., some have had with bigger 2.5" pipes. Would also be a size both the stock turbo and BT guys can use.
For a stock turbo setup the 2.25 inch would be a great idea as it can flow around 600cfm before starting to get close to turbulent levels. For BT though you are reaching that level at around 370whp. The 2.5inch will flow around 760cfm at the same velocity which is good for around 470ish whp. The extra lag from the K03 would be minimal though between the two pipe diameters.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting perspective. But as @bman13235 said, 2.25" would be adequate for the stock turbo. But once you go for more power, you'd need bigger pipes.The 2.5" piping will support both high HP builds and modest builds.

The fitment is pretty tight, but we have these pipes modeled to fit perfectly around every engine component. In the next update, I'll show you how well our finished prototypes fit on the car!

-Diamaan

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dang, I was in the area last Thursday, woulda love to have seen them! Good stuff!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Preordering the intercooler in the next day or two. PLEASE say these will be ready by August to order and deliver with the intercooler!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dang, I was in the area last Thursday, woulda love to have seen them! Good stuff!
Email me next time!

Preordering the intercooler in the next day or two. PLEASE say these will be ready by August to order and deliver with the intercooler!
Awesome!

Honestly, it's pretty tough to say at this point. I know the pipes won't release at the same time as the intercooler, but I'm hoping that it will at least be close. As the coming weeks approach, I'll have a better idea!

-Diamaan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting perspective. But as @bman13235 said, 2.25" would be adequate for the stock turbo. But once you go for more power, you'd need bigger pipes.The 2.5" piping will support both high HP builds and modest builds.

The fitment is pretty tight, but we have these pipes modeled to fit perfectly around every engine component. In the next update, I'll show you how well our finished prototypes fit on the car!

-Diamaan
Thanks for the response. Looking forward to seeing how the prototypes fit. I'm always looking for new reasons to stay poor. lol

One thing that crossed my mind: some people with solid 2.5" hot-side pipes developed cracks and boost leaks, or had the mounting brackets break off due to engine movement. Essentially, if you launch the car, the engine will want to move, but the hot-side charge pipe wont. Having a stiffer, aftermarket rear motor mount seemed to alleviate this, but unsure if it's a permanent solve over lifetime of car. Maybe a flex section, or silicone coupler mid-pipe would be a good idea to accommodate for any movement.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Email me next time!

-Diamaan
Bro had I known I was going to be close I woulda! Went to Mantua, NJ to pick up a new bullet for the Mustang. My buddy was craving Hooters and the one off of 13 was the closest one. BTW - might have been the nicest looking staff in a Hooters I have ever seen!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the response. Looking forward to seeing how the prototypes fit. I'm always looking for new reasons to stay poor. lol

One thing that crossed my mind: some people with solid 2.5" hot-side pipes developed cracks and boost leaks, or had the mounting brackets break off due to engine movement. Essentially, if you launch the car, the engine will want to move, but the hot-side charge pipe wont. Having a stiffer, aftermarket rear motor mount seemed to alleviate this, but unsure if it's a permanent solve over lifetime of car. Maybe a flex section, or silicone coupler mid-pipe would be a good idea to accommodate for any movement.
Our hot side sold section is complimented with lengthy and sturdy silicone couplers. This will help absorb engine movement to prevent issues with the pipe staying in one piece. We've had our protoypes on our loaner for several hundred miles and fitment is still perfect. Our design has yields very little stress on the solid section. You'll soon see what I'm talking about in the next update!

Bro had I known I was going to be close I woulda! Went to Mantua, NJ to pick up a new bullet for the Mustang. My buddy was craving Hooters and the one off of 13 was the closest one. BTW - might have been the nicest looking staff in a Hooters I have ever seen!
Can't say I have any complaints when I go there! ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
New Castle is slowly becoming a favorite place in DE now :). Some fast drag cars come out of there too ;)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reason we did not opt for any extra additions such as a methanol injection bung or a flange for an aftermarket BOV is because of that section of the pipe being silicone. We wanted to keep the flexibility of the piping design so everything would stay solid during serious engine movement.

Unfortunately, we are only offering the stock size for the throttle body coupler!

-Diamaan

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed the j-line intercooler a little over a year ago and besides for paint chipping off I have been happy with it. Will these pipes be compatible? It was a tight squeeze fitting the stock pipes onto it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I installed the j-line intercooler a little over a year ago and besides for paint chipping off I have been happy with it. Will these pipes be compatible? It was a tight squeeze fitting the stock pipes onto it

Ditto! If your new pipes were about 0.5" longer or so, to join to the IC, that would help a lot in our case.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The pipes were not designed for the J-Line intercooler, so I cannot guarantee if they will fit or not. Since the inlet/outlet orientation is different, I doubt that these upgraded pipes will fit. But I am unable to say for sure.

-Diamaan

1 - 20 of 55 Posts