Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, can you please look through and explain/analyze whats wrong with my car?

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hi guys, can you please look through and explain/analyze whats wrong with my car?

Take a datalog and post it using datazap.me or whatever the site is. We need to see parameters such as the following:
- Accel Pedal Position
- Actual AFR
- Boost Pressure
- Charge Air Temp.
- Coolant Temp.
- ETC Angle Actual
- Engine RPM
- FRP Actual
- Ign Corr. Cyl1
- Ign Corr. Cyl2
- Ign Corr. Cyl3
- Ign Corr. Cyl4
- Ign Timing Cyl3
- LTFT
- Load Actual
- Oct Adj Ratio Lrn
- STFT
- WGDC Actual

Only then can we find out what is wrong. Are you using bad fuel? To test it go and put the best station/highest octane fuel available in your car then add either a gallon of e85/flex fuel or add octane booster to the tank. If the problem goes away, it's fuel related.

Are your spark plugs recent? If not, are they gapped properly? This can cause issues similar to this.

What tune are you running? Is it just a Cobb OTS map? Are you running a tune set for a Stage 3 car or something but you don't have stage 3 mods? If so then the tune might be too aggressive for the car and will damage it if you don't go back to stock or stage 1 etc.

Based on this picture the only 2 things wrong are the misfires and the -1.5 ignition correction you had in cylinder 1. We need to see the other 3 cylinders though. Also, one single correction of -1.5 isn't bad. Unless it is persistent.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel is good, 98 ron equivalent to 93 octane. Spark plugs were itv22 properly gapped. I just changed to itv 24 2 hours ago cos i suspected it was the plugs. Still misfiring is happening
Im running cobb ots stage 3 with corresponding hardware from cobb

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you help me make sense of the misfire counter? Whats the 1/8 means

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Try running the 91 octane map and see if you pull a misfire. It could be poor gas.
Without the datalogs it's next to impossible to dial in the issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Can you help me make sense of the misfire counter? Whats the 1/8 means

The Accessport has a minimum/maximum value reading for every gauge. The one for misfires is a little broken. The misfire gauge just counts how many misfires you had. So if you had 4 it would read "4 Misfires" then it would have 1/4 (1 meaning you had a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 4).

Try running the 91 octane map and see if you pull a misfire. It could be poor gas.
Without the datalogs it's next to impossible to dial in the issue.
I agree with this ^ Try flashing a 91 tune and see if the misfires keep coming. If they do, then it probably isn't fuel. If you put 98ron in your tank it could still be crappy 98 ron which might read equivalent to 91 octane. Here in my hometown there are 4 stations and 3 of them have bad gas that reads about the same as 91 even if I pump 93.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
The Accessport has a minimum/maximum value reading for every gauge. The one for misfires is a little broken. The misfire gauge just counts how many misfires you had. So if you had 4 it would read "4 Misfires" then it would have 1/4 (1 meaning you had a minimum of 1 and a maximum of 4).
Had no idea it worked like that.
Pretty dumb...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Had no idea it worked like that.
Pretty dumb...
Yeah that is one of the gauges they should probably remove the min/max lol it's useless on that one.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I agree with this ^ Try flashing a 91 tune and see if the misfires keep coming. If they do, then it probably isn't fuel. If you put 98ron in your tank it could still be crappy 98 ron which might read equivalent to 91 octane. Here in my hometown there are 4 stations and 3 of them have bad gas that reads about the same as 91 even if I pump 93.
So ive just flashed a 91 oct tune. Once i started the car i had 1 misfire.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think ill have to order a set of ignition coils. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I think ill have to order a set of ignition coils. Any recommendations?

Go with buying the factory coils.
So far all we have seen with MSD and Accel are poor results.

Factory are inexpensive and so far... the best.

Read your engine codes, if you have a misfire, you should be able to see what cylinder by the code.
Switch your coils from cylinder to cylinder and see if that misfire follows. If so, you found the problem.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go with buying the factory coils.
So far all we have seen with MSD and Accel are poor results.

Factory are inexpensive and so far... the best.

Read your engine codes, if you have a misfire, you should be able to see what cylinder by the code.
Switch your coils from cylinder to cylinder and see if that misfire follows. If so, you found the problem.
Thank you. May i ask how do i monitor each cylinder?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Thank you. May i ask how do i monitor each cylinder?

Use the accessport feature that allows you to view codes (it is in the "Troubleshooting" menu on the AP) and it should tell you what cylinder it detected the misfire.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use the accessport feature that allows you to view codes (it is in the "Troubleshooting" menu on the AP) and it should tell you what cylinder it detected the misfire.
Sweet! Will do. Are there gauges i can set to monitor whether there are misfires in each cylinder?

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
I have a misfire issue, however i've stopped worrying about them due to much stronger internals. I've changed out the coils, went to two step colder plugs, re-did the timing and still get a misfire in Cyl 2,3 and sometimes 4.
The engine is healthy, and runs smoothly during drive time. While on idle you can slightly hear small pop's in the exhaust, kinda makes it sound awesome.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a misfire issue, however i've stopped worrying about them due to much stronger internals. I've changed out the coils, went to two step colder plugs, re-did the timing and still get a misfire in Cyl 2,3 and sometimes 4.
The engine is healthy, and runs smoothly during drive time. While on idle you can slightly hear small pop's in the exhaust, kinda makes it sound awesome.
My car bogs down. Usually during wot in gear 5

1 - 20 of 32 Posts