Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching and nothing conclusive. Anyways, When car is warming up and using light throttle (ya know, half asleep and cruising to work low rpm) I will have misfires, feels like a sputter. No CEL or codes, once the car is warm it runs and performs like a top. Plugs were changed less than 5k miles ago. Started a few weeks ago and seems to be getting progressively more noticeable aka worse. Any ideas? Maybe coil pack is on it's way out? Any help is appreciated, not wanting to detune and head to the dealership unless need be. Thanks!

·
Registered
530 Posts
How low RPM? If you're like under 1500, stop that and down shift, under 2k, just don't lug it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Tried searching and nothing conclusive. Anyways, When car is warming up and using light throttle (ya know, half asleep and cruising to work low rpm) I will have misfires, feels like a sputter. No CEL or codes, once the car is warm it runs and performs like a top. Plugs were changed less than 5k miles ago. Started a few weeks ago and seems to be getting progressively more noticeable aka worse. Any ideas? Maybe coil pack is on it's way out? Any help is appreciated, not wanting to detune and head to the dealership unless need be. Thanks!
What did you gap your plugs to?

Recently change gas stations?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I missed the bit about the plugs, that sounds likely. Combined with bad gas if you used a crap station, that could do it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I missed the bit about the plugs, that sounds likely. Combined with bad gas if you used a crap station, that could do it.
Yeah I definitely wanna ask about the gap since I've seen some of the "pre-gapped" plugs at f___ing like .05 when they're supposed to be at like .026 or something. Always always always double check.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What did you gap your plugs to?

Recently change gas stations?

Plugs gapped to .026" and same gas stations I always use, I've seen some threads on here pointing to maybe an o2 wiring harness issue. hmmmm

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
misfires on Cyl 2-4

Forged rods and pistons. Shouldn't be much of a problem right? Only misfires when cold and parked, the car drives smooth no misfires when overtaking Mustang GT's and BMW's

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well you could just check your engines compression in each cylinder to play it safe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine does it too if I'm barely touching the throttle, I can't feeling them but I hear it. My old vw did it too. I wouldn't worry much about it

Reactions: JoshCrane1

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Well you could just check your engines compression in each cylinder to play it safe

Yeah I mean as cheap and easy as it is to do this I do it anyway even if I haven't had any problems lol it's just a normal test I do periodically

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I mean as cheap and easy as it is to do this I do it anyway even if I haven't had any problems lol it's just a normal test I do periodically
Plus the kit at OReilys is only $40

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
yay another tool to add to the list.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll do a compression check next plug change, could'nt hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts