Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently stage 2ish, and I recently tuned with the base tune from the sct x4 with the exhaust and cai, which both I have. Around 12-15 psi I get a misfire type of feel, like the car hickups and I recently put in new NKG cooler spark plugs around 1k miles ago. I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue or if anyone can help me with this issue?
Anything will be helpful thank you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This kind of sounds more like a fuel quality concern more so than the plugs.

But you can always pull the plugs and check the gap. I would think that if the plugs are going to cause an issue, they wouldn't wait 1000 miles to do so.

You could also try flashing it back to stock and see how the engine reacts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have flashed it back to stock on the way home and there was no issue no hick up at all. Maybe the tune?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Most likely. I would try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to reset the electronics and the modules, then re-download the tune.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I am currently stage 2ish, and I recently tuned with the base tune from the sct x4 with the exhaust and cai, which both I have. Around 12-15 psi I get a misfire type of feel, like the car hickups and I recently put in new NKG cooler spark plugs around 1k miles ago. I was wondering if anyone has had the same issue or if anyone can help me with this issue?
Anything will be helpful thank you.
Not to be condescending but did you gap them at .026-.028? I know they come gapped from the factory at .044

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not to be condescending but did you gap them at .026-.028? I know they come gapped from the factory at .044
I have these plugs and checked the gap from factory which was right on .026. However, like I did, you should have verified before install. Can't ever trust someone else's work. So +1 @WHEEZER994

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
NGk's gapped at 0.26 from the factory no way in hell. They come .044. where di you buy them? Some companies pre gap them for you

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had to re-gap my NGKs as well. Everyone I know who used NGKs have had to re-gap them. Please double check your gaps. Going back to stock tune made the misfire stop because it's boost is lower. If you started to misfire under higher boost (as in a non-stock tune) after a plug change then it's 99% probability the plug gaps are too big.

·
Registered
236 Posts
From NGK's web site-
"We do not recommend adjusting the spark plug gap < or > .008". The reason for this is the ground electrode and center electrode won't line up properly, hindering spark plug performance."

So you people changing from .04 to .026, you may be moving the gap too much per the manufacturer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Shouldn't you have an aftermarket intercooler, better than stock, for a "stage 2" tune anyway. I'm wondering if the intake charge could be heating up and causing an issue?

I'm running a stage 2 OTS Cobb tune, with stock plugs, and am not having the same issue. I am debating on switching out plugs but I just got my cold start misfire, that is a not an uncommon problem, fixed and afraid to make any changes.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
From NGK's web site-
"We do not recommend adjusting the spark plug gap < or > .008". The reason for this is the ground electrode and center electrode won't line up properly, hindering spark plug performance."

So you people changing from .04 to .026, you may be moving the gap too much per the manufacturer.
This is exactly why I never used the NGK's. Just common sense considering your bending the strap way too much. I know people said they had trouble with denso's but I never have and installed many in different cars. We even run ITV24"s in the Mustang Coyote I built recently.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My NGKs came pregapped to .026. I'm using the stock heat range ones, as I was told that there was no need to run 1 step colder unless your pushing a lot more power (aka big turbo).

Maybe it's because you bought the step colder plugs if your gap turns out to be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
My NGKs came pregapped to .026. I'm using the stock heat range ones, as I was told that there was no need to run 1 step colder unless your pushing a lot more power (aka big turbo).

Maybe it's because you bought the step colder plugs if your gap turns out to be fine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah different plug. They come at 0.031 from NGK. I've had denso's come in at 0.026 and they spec the same at 0.031.

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9821

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9888

·
Registered
816 Posts
Reactions: SIstomper
1 - 20 of 26 Posts