Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ST owners.
Before I set off explaining my situation I would like you all to know that I understand how to use the search feature, Ive read several hundreds of pages relating to this topic...so hear me out.

I recently bought a 2014 ST with 31k miles. under normal circumstances it runs like a champ BUT I've found as I rev it up towards and past 5k rpm the power seems to instantly cut off and/or the engine hesitates briefly then recovers. If I continue drive in this manner after 2-3 pulls the CEL will start blinking. the car will run like poop and it will throw the p0300, p0302, p0303 codes (all cylinder misfires related). Now, I realize there is a truly massive thread of people that have spent over a year dealing with this same code via the dealership but it seems that "known issue" only relates to the 2015-2016 models and seems to only happen during a cold start, not WOT. Secondarily, I noticed recall 14s17 (wire splicing recall) which cites multiple CELs as well as rough running, hesitation under load etc... BUT I checked on Ford's recall website and apparently my vin is not included in that specific recall. Does anyone know of a definitive test I can run to ensure that this is not in fact the problem?
I've checked the plugs, they are brand new Denso stock replacements gapped at .028. coil packs seem fine and as I mentioned, the car runs great under normal circumstances.
I've contacted the dealer, but they dont have any availability for the next two weeks. Has anyone had similar issues? what was the outcome? how did you go about diagnosing the issue?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Couple questions because I'm in a similar situation.

Are you running 100% stock?

If not,

Are you tuned? (What tuner/tune)
What are your mods?

I'm not trying to thread-jack but I am also having some issues but no codes. Car is 2014 st1 tuned with Cobb AP3/Stratified. I have drop in K&N filter ( same as green filter), CP-e Delta, CP-e Exhale kit w/ tial bov, vacuum is being pulled from symposer delete.

I've only had a couple minor issues since I started modding, blew off the hotside charge pipe once (hairspray and cranking down the ****ty worm-drive fixed that) and like OP I get up in the rpm (around 4500-5000) and it feels like the ecu is cutting power but only momentarily. I haven't actually set aside time to pull some logs so I honestly don't know what exactly is happening but it will hit the rpm range in 4th on the freeway and "sputter" for fractions of a second (this is with stock traction control on, and Cobb/stratified TC off) and the AP didn't show any kind of timing correction besides 0/+3 on the min/max. I've been reading a lot and I'm going to do 1step colder plugs just to be on the safe side and I'm dropping back to Cobb stage 1 91 octane tune (I was on stratified "stage 2" 93 octane) because it could possibly be the fuel. I am running 76 fuel, pump said 93oct but I dumped a bottle of 104+ octane boost just to be sure since 93 octane from the pump is a pain to find in this area.

@OP I hope you get an answer to your issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My CEL just popped up after changing the pluga. Going to replace the coil today for cylinder 4

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Check your plugs, I had very similar symptoms and ended up replacing the plugs. Turned out the gap was all messed up on the old ones. New plugs, runs like a champ now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I gapped it to the same that was in there .35

·
Registered
882 Posts

hopefully you mean 0.035"... which is still a bit much even for stock if I remember correctly. I know with Stratified they suggest 0.026" - 0.028". I think stock is around 0.032". Since it's an easy thing to do, try setting the gap to 0.030" or close to that and see how things are after that.

·
Super Moderator
9,535 Posts

At .035 there is a very good chance of blowing out the spark; gap at .028.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Boosted cars are very sensitive to plug gap, so I would verify that first. These other brainiacs on here would know the gap way better than I would.

Beyond that, I would be looking at the ignition coils and wiring, and possibly anything obvious. The other thing to verify too is compression. Might be a smart idea to run a compression test on the engine and see if maybe there is a compression issue with the engine. Any auto parts store can rent you a compression tester.

Get the car on a decent scanner and look for the misfire counts on the cylinders and see what cylinder is doing it. If not a power balance test might be a good way to detect it as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,535 Posts
hello ST owners.
Before I set off explaining my situation I would like you all to know that I understand how to use the search feature, Ive read several hundreds of pages relating to this topic...so hear me out.

I recently bought a 2014 ST with 31k miles. under normal circumstances it runs like a champ BUT I've found as I rev it up towards and past 5k rpm the power seems to instantly cut off and/or the engine hesitates briefly then recovers. If I continue drive in this manner after 2-3 pulls the CEL will start blinking. the car will run like poop and it will throw the p0300, p0302, p0303 codes (all cylinder misfires related). Now, I realize there is a truly massive thread of people that have spent over a year dealing with this same code via the dealership but it seems that "known issue" only relates to the 2015-2016 models and seems to only happen during a cold start, not WOT. Secondarily, I noticed recall 14s17 (wire splicing recall) which cites multiple CELs as well as rough running, hesitation under load etc... BUT I checked on Ford's recall website and apparently my vin is not included in that specific recall. Does anyone know of a definitive test I can run to ensure that this is not in fact the problem?
I've checked the plugs, they are brand new Denso stock replacements gapped at .028. coil packs seem fine and as I mentioned, the car runs great under normal circumstances.
I've contacted the dealer, but they dont have any availability for the next two weeks. Has anyone had similar issues? what was the outcome? how did you go about diagnosing the issue?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Try doing the wire splice fix yourself if Ford won't.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-guides/10746-engine-stalling-solution-do-yourself-fix.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
hopefully you mean 0.035"... which is still a bit much even for stock if I remember correctly. I know with Stratified they suggest 0.026" - 0.028". I think stock is around 0.032". Since it's an easy thing to do, try setting the gap to 0.030" or close to that and see how things are after that.
.035 is what I meant. But I super appreciate it, the car is stratified tuned, so i will...as painful as it is remove them and regap them. I just wemt with what they were previously, as I didnt want to screw with the tune. I will report back. Thank you guys for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts