Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Red Car Auto part Automotive exterior

I was stopped on the highway waiting for traffic to move due to an accident clean up ahead. I look up in the mirror and see a Charger swerve from left to right in order to miss me. After that I hear the inevitable tire lock up and think here we go. A light impact followed and this is the result of the damage. We have decided since the damage isn't too severe we can settle this without insurance. I was able to drive home and the car seem like it was tracking straight. Should I be worried about the ability of a body shop repairing this for a decent cost?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't call that a "light" impact. There's probably $3-4,000 of damage there if I were to guess. No way would I have left without insurance and a report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I gave a lady in Raleigh a "warning" when she rear ending me at a light once, but it was nothing close to this. Good luck getting the guy to pay up, I've found a lot of people are pieces of crap out there.

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yeah...that is going to be 3000+ worth of damage...unless that Charger was your mother there is NO way I'd let someone hit my (which means it's 100% their fault..no money out of your pocket) car and not get insurance info at the very least, so I agree with @UnfocusedST and @Slangwhanger completely. You have a serious headache on your hands my friend. Bad call there

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I had the same thing. I agree with the other comments. It's about $1500-3000 in damaged. If you go through insurance, you need to consider the value of the car will go down by some amount over $1k just for being in an accident.
You can still get a police report if you have his info. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking back I agree with your conclusions of the situation. Her brother works at a small body shop and have him look at it, if he wants to charge me more than $500 I am going to file a claim, I did get her license information and her phone number. I realize it sounds sketchy, but this could work out... I am going to get an estimate at a reputable body shop before i have him look at it beforehand.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looking back I agree with your conclusions of the situation. Her brother works at a small body shop and have him look at it, if he wants to charge me more than $500 I am going to file a claim, I did get her license information and her phone number. I realize it sounds sketchy, but this could work out... I am going to get an estimate at a reputable body shop before i have him look at it beforehand.
You do realize purchasing a bumper and all the bumper components will be close to $500, right? Not including paint. Then add the labor to fix your rear body panel, impact bar, pressure vents, bumper stay AND paint anything else.

Don't forget to thing about your need for a rental vehicle while the car is in the shop. Unless your getting a 5-6k check straight from the owner, i would be on the phone with insurance before even talking to a shop

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
You do realize purchasing a bumper and all the bumper components will be close to $500, right? Not including paint. Then add the labor to fix your rear body panel, impact bar, pressure vents, bumper stay AND paint anything else.

Don't forget to thing about your need for a rental vehicle while the car is in the shop. Unless your getting a 5-6k check straight from the owner, i would be on the phone with insurance before even talking to a shop
He was referring to the LABOR being 500 not the part. The part and the paint ALONE before labor will be probably 1000 bucks. My drivers side front fender got hit by my aunt and her insurance covered the cost at 1403.12 or something like that total after the 4 day process of having it installed, painted, dried, and washed. Then the dealer scratched it so I had to get a repolish and wash...headache city.

Edit: If he WASN'T referring to labor only then he apparently didn't realize why our car is MSRP 32000 brand new lol...

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Yeah...that is going to be 3000+ worth of damage...unless that Charger was your mother there is NO way I'd let someone hit my (which means it's 100% their fault..no money out of your pocket) car and not get insurance info at the very least, so I agree with @UnfocusedST and @Slangwhanger completely. You have a serious headache on your hands my friend. Bad call there
Unless your as lucky as me, where his state minimum insurance wouldn't even cover the damage costs from him hitting me, so i had to pay out my deductible as a "not at fault" accident case so that state farm could basically sue his insurance company for the amount owed.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
also, rear bumper on my car was i think $1700 alone after it was all done. Total with a new exhaust because mine got bent by the jagg-off, ran it up for $4K total

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I found a used bumper in red, all of the damage is contain behind the bumper so only technically only primer would be required. Ill have to wait and see what the brother has to say

·
Registered
830 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Motor vehicle
This was 3200 to fix

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was at a stop light (in my chevy aveo) just minding my own business. The woman behind me somehow forgot to keep her foot on the brake and she let her car roll lightly into mine. It didn't cause any damage but it was crazy. I got out.. she got out and she was like " did I hit you..???". I wanted to say "are you seriously asking me that??" I was so mad but I mean it was very minor with no damage so it's not like I could do anything and I was on my way to work. But I mean people ... at least own up to what you did and stop acting all innocent like it's not your fault.
And with everyone else I would definantly file this incident not a good idea to let it just go w/out cops.

·
Registered
830 Posts
How in the world did that happen..??
Roommate backed into it with his Chevy 1500 caught right at the top of the grill where you see the crack and scratch then just slide up into the hood. ****ty part was I was standing in the living room with my riding jacket and gloves on because I was getting ready to go on a ride and I just watch him do it. Like really??

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A state trooper arrived on the scene and as far as i can tell, only the bumper and the bumper mount needs to be replaced after the lower quarter pulled out a little. All of the doors still open and close as before and no visible creases in the body outside of the bumper area. I do admit I should have had the officer file an accident report.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts