Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is my first real post!

so like the title says. im in the process of building a set of (2014) ST1 headlights. ive always wanted to use D2S because the platform has a lot of R&D from big light manufacturers. good ****!
I went balls out natalie on this one maybe a little ahead of myself. I purchased cheap chinese housings on ebay as close to OEM look as possible for $100. and over all look like decent quality. replication is really very close and used all the same bulbs as USDM. cracked those open last night and started on the passenger side mounted my mini D2S 4.0 and I knew I was gunna have to do some hacking on the shroud... but there is no way im going to be able to use the Apollo 2.0 black series shrouds I originally planned on. and might or might not be able to use the 110mm switchback halos I was gunna have inside those shrouds.

I seen someone who used the D2S 3.0 with the G37-R shrouds but all pics on their build are old and un viewable. and I don't want to use the same shrouds If I don't have to, also I don't especially care for G35/37 so I would not really like knowing I have a part of my car replicated after an infinity design. and I don't really care for the look. more research here is needed.

-----Shopping list-----

$100 headlight housings - ebay
$50 Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 projectors - theretrofitsource.com (clearance)
$30 Apollo 2.0 black shrouds - unusable (1 hacked up.. oops)
$100 35watt D2S ballasts - TRS
$35 35watt D2S 5500K bulbs - TRS
$40 H11 Relay with anti flicker - TRS
$75 110mm switchback halos - TRS
$80 sequential switchback led strips 9" - TRS (these got backordered and should as of today be on their way to the correct address)
$65 sequential switchback led strips 6" - Ebay (I ran out of patience)

I think that's all my parts so far

since I was notified the 9" strips are shipping out I said ill wait for them and I have a plan for the 6" strips.

but now I need to research more shrouds smaller than the Apollo 2.0. (132mm tall) I have less than a 4" height gap in the low beam bucket to fill.
i'll try to post pictures soon if there interest in this might need some help. been a while since I been on a forum.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Following. Im a headlight nerd myself. Used the Acme Super h1s in my mustang, im ready to do a mini d2s setup on something now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
r
I think this is my first real post!

so like the title says. im in the process of building a set of (2014) ST1 headlights. ive always wanted to use D2S because the platform has a lot of R&D from big light manufacturers. good ****!
I went balls out natalie on this one maybe a little ahead of myself. I purchased cheap chinese housings on ebay as close to OEM look as possible for $100. and over all look like decent quality. replication is really very close and used all the same bulbs as USDM. cracked those open last night and started on the passenger side mounted my mini D2S 4.0 and I knew I was gunna have to do some hacking on the shroud... but there is no way im going to be able to use the Apollo 2.0 black series shrouds I originally planned on. and might or might not be able to use the 110mm switchback halos I was gunna have inside those shrouds.

I seen someone who used the D2S 3.0 with the G37-R shrouds but all pics on their build are old and un viewable. and I don't want to use the same shrouds If I don't have to, also I don't especially care for G35/37 so I would not really like knowing I have a part of my car replicated after an infinity design. and I don't really care for the look. more research here is needed.

-----Shopping list-----

$100 headlight housings - ebay
$50 Morimoto mini D2S 4.0 projectors - theretrofitsource.com (clearance)
$30 Apollo 2.0 black shrouds - unusable (1 hacked up.. oops)
$100 35watt D2S ballasts - TRS
$35 35watt D2S 5500K bulbs - TRS
$40 H11 Relay with anti flicker - TRS
$75 110mm switchback halos - TRS
$80 sequential switchback led strips 9" - TRS (these got backordered and should as of today be on their way to the correct address)
$65 sequential switchback led strips 6" - Ebay (I ran out of patience)

I think that's all my parts so far

since I was notified the 9" strips are shipping out I said ill wait for them and I have a plan for the 6" strips.

but now I need to research more shrouds smaller than the Apollo 2.0. (132mm tall) I have less than a 4" height gap in the low beam bucket to fill.
i'll try to post pictures soon if there interest in this might need some help. been a while since I been on a forum.
Just a hint about those cheap Chinese headlamps - I have those too in my 2013 ST1 as I had to replace my worn out/crazed/faded originals. They really are very good for the price and fit well (I suspect that they are made on at least some of the OEM tooling - if you look at the rear housing molding for example you will even see the Ford Oval without the FORD in it!.
HOWEVER, the lenses are covered in some sort of clear film for protection/UV protection I assume. When the outside temp gets to a certain level this film will immediately crack and crinkle all over the surface (ask me how I know :) ). I took mine to my friendly bodyshop and they were kind enough to take as much of the film off as they could, rub down the rest and clearcoat both lenses - they are still not perfect, but good enough for a driver. So - clearcoat the lenses before the Summer!

·
Registered
885 Posts
To add to what @StanE said, DIY guys use aerosol 2k clear to recoat headlight lenses. They developed a way to mix the paint and hardener as it exits the can. You'll still need to wetsand and polish the finish when youre done but its something you can do at home and retains your UV protection on the acrylic lense.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice! good info guys! ive been researching shroud specs and im more confused now than before.
would it be completely absurd to cut the reflector bowl to fir the shroud? im thinking I might have to do a little of that unfortunately

·
Registered
885 Posts
nice! good info guys! ive been researching shroud specs and im more confused now than before.
would it be completely absurd to cut the reflector bowl to fir the shroud? im thinking I might have to do a little of that unfortunately
Since your reflector bowl is only used to support the projector assembly now, i guess as long as you dont harm the structure of the reflector, i dont see why you couldn't do some trimming on it. However, its commonplace to chop on the shroud instead of the light. I had to cut my shrouds to fit my small headlights in my mustang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts