Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So many of you know how important a properly set plug gap is to your ecoboost engine. Tuned ST's seem to chew through these at a significantly higher rate than what is set forth in the service recommendations.

Spitting and sputtering under boost is one sign that yours plugs are on the way out. Hopefully this little item will help to make that task just a little bit easier.

Sure I guess that you could spring for an expensive set up to help you gap and index your plugs but that is entirely up to you and you bank account. This is for us regular owners. The costs for these can run as cheap as $8 to $30 depending on where you decide to purchase yours.

I settled on this one from the bay.

I decided to give it a spin on a set of factory plugs I had over exaggerated the gap on. The threads weren't the smoothest but held the plug securely in place.

The adjustment screw take very little pressure to bring the ground strap down towards the center electrode. This is important to remember as being to aggressive could press the feeler gauge too far into the tip damaging it. You only want to set the gap so the feeler gauge passes through between the ground strap and center electrode.

Once finished setting the it your desired gap they are ready for installation.

*Feeler gauges can be purchased individually or as a set. While it's possible to used a coin or wire style gap tool, like the ones found at your local auto parts store it's important to understand that they lack the precision needed and could also ruin the plug.

Take the time to do it right the first time.

Stay Safe
J

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,626 Posts
I don't know why i forget to check Ebay for stuff like this. Thanks For the tip, i just bought one.

·
Super Moderator
1,640 Posts
I have one of these from STM Tuned (should have gotten the cheap eBay one like above though).

Honestly one of the best tools for gapping - precise and makes it effortless when used with feeler guages.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I have one of the many Chinese variants of this from amazon.

i had to buy and run a thread chaser through this. It was no $10 tool anymore! #mad

Its tip is rounded which is a nice touch

But i find the adjustment process less than fun. You want .028? You have to squeeze past that to overcome the elasticity of the strap and then find maybe you dont have the right feeler.

Working on cars is fun they say!

But it still is one of the better more affordable least often tools you’ll use

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The trick is to use a feeler gauge just under your target. Depending on the process used to coat the tool you may encounter the need to chase the threads to accommodate.

The number of members here that are relying on "pre gapped" plugs or the incorrect tools to set their own is fairly larger for something so important.

Reactions: rob99rt and Cory

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I have one of these, I rounded off the end of the screw so it didn't mar the ground strap. For me personally i still like tapping the plug on a hard surface, seems to work well.

·
Registered
2015 Focus ST / Stratified Tune
71 Posts
The trick is to use a feeler gauge just under your target. Depending on the process used to coat the tool you may encounter the need to chase the threads to accommodate.
Yep! I recently used one of these gapping tools with a set of feeler gauges last time I had to gap my plugs.
I found it MUCH easier to put a feeler gauge in that was about 0.002" - 0.003" SMALLER than my desired gap, then cranking down and letting it sit for a minute.
From there almost every time I loosened the tool I checked my gaps and 0.026" would fit perfectly and 0.027" would not fit at all without forcing it!

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
1,450 Posts
Dangit.. More stuff to buy.

Was planning on installing the new set of Rutheniums this weekend, but may just wait until I get the gapper.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LoL I hate to admit this but on my older (and way more expensive) tool I was in a bind and ended up using epoxy to attach a .177 cal BB to the end of the screw. Fortunately this screw had a center relief and allowed for smooth even contact with the ground strap.

We've all smacked them on the top of a workbench LOL

Reactions: xTheMan42

·
Administrator
12,714 Posts
LoL I hate to admit this but on my older (and way more expensive) tool I was in a bind and ended up using epoxy to attach a .177 cal BB to the end of the screw. Fortunately this screw had a center relief and allowed for smooth even contact with the ground strap.

We've all smacked them on the top of a workbench LOL

Lmao! I took out the files and rounded it out all sexy like. I also bought a USA made too. Cause 'Merica!!!

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
View attachment 392846

So many of you know how important a properly set plug gap is to your ecoboost engine. Tuned ST's seem to chew through these at a significantly higher rate than what is set forth in the service recommendations.

Spitting and sputtering under boost is one sign that yours plugs are on the way out. Hopefully this little item will help to make that task just a little bit easier.

Sure I guess that you could spring for an expensive set up to help you gap and index your plugs but that is entirely up to you and you bank account. This is for us regular owners. The costs for these can run as cheap as $8 to $30 depending on where you decide to purchase yours.

I settled on this one from the bay. View attachment 392844

I decided to give it a spin on a set of factory plugs I had over exaggerated the gap on. The threads weren't the smoothest but held the plug securely in place.
View attachment 392847

The adjustment screw take very little pressure to bring the ground strap down towards the center electrode. This is important to remember as being to aggressive could press the feeler gauge too far into the tip damaging it. You only want to set the gap so the feeler gauge passes through between the ground strap and center electrode.
View attachment 392848

Once finished setting the it your desired gap they are ready for installation.

*Feeler gauges can be purchased individually or as a set. While it's possible to used a coin or wire style gap tool, like the ones found at your local auto parts store it's important to understand that they lack the precision needed and could also ruin the plug.

Take the time to do it right the first time.

Stay Safe
J
Ordered! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got my hands on one of these about 2 years ago, they're awesome and every penny is worth the piece of mind.

I'd also add the point that when you're using these to narrow the gap, DO NOT have your gap measurement tool sitting between the electrode and end of the plug - check the gap between small adjustments so you don't damage the electrode and have to buy a new plug. Slow and steady

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Monster FMIC, Turbosmart BPV, ALEX' Shift Bushings,PCV-OCC, Innovative RMM
1,630 Posts
Thx for tool info! Simple but effective.

All metal springs back when you form it. Good to know .002-.003 over bend seems to get it where you want it.

I got pretty good over the years using a small to med screwdriver and tapping the ground electrode, but this seems more precision and less time to adjust 👍😎

·
Registered
2017 Focus ST3
382 Posts
I got a pair of these off of Amazon cheap. Best money I have spent in a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts