Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the dash says you?re at 0 miles until empty... you?re not REALLY are you? I?ve never put 12.2 gallons in my car on fill up. Ever. So, I?m thinking maybe a gallon is left in there at 0

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve gotten down to like 6 miles left. I wouldn’t trust that it would reliably actually get me all the way to zero, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got down to 4 before I decided to fill up today. If I had a ford funnel, since we have that capless thing going on, I?d throw a gas can in the trunk and find out. Cause I?m curious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My daughters 2012 Focus sitting in my driveway would start but not stay running. The dash said 13 miles till empty so I put a gallon of gas in and it ran fine. My driveway is at a slight incline so maybe whatever fuel was left in the tank pooled away from the fuel pickup.

I'm guessing that if it says "0 miles to empty" then the tank is pretty close to being dry.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I hit zero just as I pulled in once. Only 11 gallons went in.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been down to 1 or 2 miles to empty a couple of times. My car takes 11.5 gallons, so there is 1 remaining. But these are not precision manufacturing, so different cars will behave differently.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Wish I could laugh in the face of the gauge, but I've lost twice now. First time stalled at 25 miles left and second time at 40 miles. I've always been the "wait until it sputters on turns" riding below E kinda guy until this car. Now I treat the 50 mile mark as bone dry, usually still leaves 1-1.5 gallons left in the tank. Guess every car is a little different.

·
Registered
825 Posts
The danger of running to Empty is burning out the fuel pump in the tank.
It only takes ONCE to start the downhill slide which will leave you waiting for a tow truck.
The in-tank fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel. When there is no fuel, it get over heated.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
For what's it worth, while I haven't pushed the focus yet. with my Lincoln, the car starts counting miles a lot faster with 20 miles left (the car says 10 miles have been lost after only driving 6...). Once the Lincoln had got down to 0 (after driving by 4 closed stations) and made it another 5 miles after that to the next station with out running out of fuel.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Also keep in mind that it is basing the Miles to Empty based off of gas millage. So if you constantly run the car hard and have a low MPG, then you can baby it and get more than what it says, but if you always baby it and have a high MPG, but then run it hard after the fuel light comes on, it may run out eariler than it says.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was in a situation last year where I miscalculated the distance to the next fuel station in Texas and I hit ZERO at 341 miles and rolled into the service station at 348 miles, so 7 miles past the zero mark. And the tank took 12.981 gallons which is 0.6 more than the stated tank capacity of 12.4 gallons. I would never advise running it to that point but I goofed up figuring how far it was to the target fuel stop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The danger of running to Empty is burning out the fuel pump in the tank.
It only takes ONCE to start the downhill slide which will leave you waiting for a tow truck.
The in-tank fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel. When there is no fuel, it get over heated.
The fuel actually acts as a cooling source for the pump and pumps require a certain level of fluid pressure to operate normally. It’s just not good to frequently drive close to empty. I usually try to fill it up as soon as the low fuel light comes on which is quite a bit with this small of a tank =/

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
750 Posts
Also keep in mind that it is basing the Miles to Empty based off of gas millage. So if you constantly run the car hard and have a low MPG, then you can baby it and get more than what it says, but if you always baby it and have a high MPG, but then run it hard after the fuel light comes on, it may run out eariler than it says.

This I can confirm it. After 40k miles and a couple of times running out of fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is the first car I've owned with a miles to empty, so I played with it shortly after getting it. I got 310 miles I think with 3 miles left and I think 11.9 gallons. There's people in my local ST club that claim to have taken 0 for 10 miles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have miscalculated 3 times since owning my focus. Never ran out of gas though. This has gotten me down to 0 miles showing and panic running through my veins. As others have stated, never a good idea to run your car to empty as it can cause problems later on. But sometimes you just have too.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I run e40, so I use an app to calculate every fill up and for me it's once a day, every day. I drive 130 miles a day to/from work, my 2015 has 60k miles on the clock. I've found using 11.8 as the tank capacity to be the most accurate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
The fuel actually acts as a cooling source for the pump and pumps require a certain level of fluid pressure to operate normally. It’s just not good to frequently drive close to empty. I usually try to fill it up as soon as the low fuel light comes on which is quite a bit with this small of a tank =/
Are cars are much more then just the pump in the tank.

As it's Halloween, let me bring up you a scary situation.

First off, our in tank low pressure pump feeds a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) at the engine. This HPFP is needed to run the direct injection (DI) system. We are also turbo'ed. Mix the DI and Turbo, and the fact that the engine computer can use excess fuel though the DI system to help keep the engine away from detonation events.

So when the tank is low (like 1/4 tank) we can get issue with fuel pressure at the HPFP. (See: http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...vel-when-driving-hard-you-could-run-lean.html)

Scary part: Hot Day, and you are low on fuel. You do a hard pull, the remaining fuel sloshes away from the LPFP and this causes less fuel to hit the HPFP and it drops pressure. Fuel getting through the injectors is reduced, cylinder goes super lean under load. *BAM* New Engine time.

So I do this: Under 1/4 tank, avoid boost if possible. On the 50 or less miles to empty, be super careful.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts