Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘16 ST doesn’t see a whole ton of driving. I’ve had it since Sept, 5 of 2016, and I’m still under 5k miles. I began to notice a mild (somewhat) burning rubber smell in the cabin. Hadn’t noticed it before this summer, but again, I don’t get the car out that often. It’s pretty mild, and I can’t find where it’s coming from. Everything seems to be in fine working order. Anything in particular I should look at? And no it’s not me burning rubber!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
For the first couple thousand miles my ST would intermittenly have a mild rubber smell as well.

I work at a dealer, been a tech over a decade, whenever I get PDI cars to inspect I notice that now that manufacturers use more and more plastics for engine components that there is more of a distinctive smell in general in the engine bay when compared to the cars of years back. Maybe this can also be a factor on the st, plastic IM, valve cover, etc.

·
Registered
825 Posts
IT may also be the spare tire making the smell.
The fact is, anything in the trunk is really IN the cabin, as there is no real separation.
So the new spare tire smell may infiltrate the cabin when the car sits for weeks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If one of my motorcycles sits for a week or so it smells a little, and I always figured it was spiders making their home in there. I don't have a mouse problem in my garage because I keep bait out, but they're notorious for making nests in almost anything, and they'll use whatever they can find for a nest. Maybe that's all it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts