Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am an avid Amazon shopper, and I always see this 50-pack of towels come up under the "recommended for you" and I always think nah those cheap crappy things would eat my paint. However, with thousands of reviews they are almost 5* in rating. Some of you actually detail, so within a similar price range is there a better alternative? Or is this a legit thing I should consider ordering. I currently have just 5 microfibers that I reuse after machine washing, and I know I need more.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Microfi...keywords=microfiber+towel+chemical+guys&psc=1

Edit: @Cooper my go-to PB FoST detailer on the forum lol I'm sure you'll have good input

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I bought a mega pack at Walmart and immediately regretted it. The fibers came loose on the windshield when wiping and were a worse distraction than the crud that was there before. I took a chance and got a mega-pack at Costco, Kirkland brand, and they are the bomb. Nothing better for wiping off the windshield, using for buffing when waxing, and even for cleaning off my glasses. And there are very few visible fibers left behind.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a mega pack at Walmart and immediately regretted it. The fibers came loose on the windshield when wiping and were a worse distraction than the crud that was there before. I took a chance and got a mega-pack at Costco, Kirkland brand, and they are the bomb. Nothing better for wiping off the windshield, using for buffing when waxing, and even for cleaning off my glasses. And there are very few visible fibers left behind.
One particular thing that I've been wishing to buy a lot more is for cleaning the inside of the windshield. Has a film that won't go away so I ordered good glass cleaner and need more micros since mine are soon to be retired. When sun hits my windshield and it get's really bad looking due to the film/smudges I get mad, and it's dangerous.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I wouldn't use those on paint but they seem like a good deal for interior engine bay wheels. I used to have some similar to those I got at Walmart or a parts store. They are now exhaust only, and I toss them. The yellow Costco are just so much better for all around and the price is good also.
Don't be afraid of the ones you linked, they would,be good interior and general purpose towels, if they lasted 6 or 10 washes you did good.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't use those on paint but they seem like a good deal for interior engine bay wheels. I used to have some similar to those I got at Walmart or a parts store. They are now exhaust only, and I toss them. The yellow Costco are just so much better for all around and the price is good also.
Don't be afraid of the ones you linked, they would,be good interior and general purpose towels, if they lasted 6 or 10 washes you did good.
I'm gonna pick them up because for the price it's a really good deal. And I won't have to worry about door jams, engine bay, wheels, exhaust, windows, interior, etc. for a long time. And then I'll probably order a 12 pack of chemical guys or something for painted surfaces. More money than I wanted to spend, but I don't like cheaping out on my paints finish.

I will be sealing/waxing soon before winter ugh..

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I actually JUST bought and received those.

I can confirm they are cheap and thin, and wouldn't recommend using them to take wax off, but for anything else, definitely worth the price. the small size will make them great for interior, jams, etc. And they are cheap enough to throw away after they get dirty.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
129 Posts
Check out the Chemical Guys pack. They are good towels and show up on Amazon Deal of the Day often.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
One particular thing that I've been wishing to buy a lot more is for cleaning the inside of the windshield. Has a film that won't go away so I ordered good glass cleaner and need more micros since mine are soon to be retired. When sun hits my windshield and it get's really bad looking due to the film/smudges I get mad, and it's dangerous.
I'm particular that way too. Can't stand a dirty windshield and these do a great job cleaning it on the inside.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I know this is off topic, but this is perfect for windshield cleaning. I had the same problem before I picked one of these up: Reach & Clean Tool | Invisible Glass

Reactions: RoachRage

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this is off topic, but this is perfect for windshield cleaning. I had the same problem before I picked one of these up: Reach & Clean Tool | Invisible Glass
I saw these and was curious, but it takes like 3 minutes for me to clean my windshield with a NICE microfiber cloth and spray so I figured it wasn't worth it in my case.

If I wasn't 6' tall I would have probably bought it though.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I'm gonna pick them up because for the price it's a really good deal. And I won't have to worry about door jams, engine bay, wheels, exhaust, windows, interior, etc. for a long time. And then I'll probably order a 12 pack of chemical guys or something for painted surfaces. More money than I wanted to spend, but I don't like cheaping out on my paints finish.

I will be sealing/waxing soon before winter ugh..

These are great and less than the chemical guys. Super Plush 16 x 16 Eagle Edgeless Microfiber Towel | The Rag Company

I have one of these I won on their free swag Friday a while back. And like it a lot. Platinum Pluffle Premium 16 x 16 Hybrid Weave Detailing Towel | The Rag Company

·
Registered
119 Posts
These are great and less than the chemical guys. Super Plush 16 x 16 Eagle Edgeless Microfiber Towel | The Rag Company

I have one of these I won on their free swag Friday a while back. And like it a lot. Platinum Pluffle Premium 16 x 16 Hybrid Weave Detailing Towel | The Rag Company
Just out of curiousty, i have always just gone to Ross, or Marshalls and bought a few hand towels, and bath towels. I wash them and have amazing towels for washing cars...should i be using these instead?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OP, I bought a bulk batch from Amazon, no complaints at all!
This was from 7 months ago, but I still reach into my bag and grab one of my amazon towels all the time for odd and end things. Obviously I don't use them on any painted surface, but great for a lot of random stuff here and there like my dash, windows, wheels, door panels, seats, etc. Even stuff around the house.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Just out of curiousty, i have always just gone to Ross, or Marshalls and bought a few hand towels, and bath towels. I wash them and have amazing towels for washing cars...should i be using these instead?
No cotton towels are not good for paint. Get a couple quality microfiber towels not from a parts store or Walmart, something you order. Get a couple for drying, and a couple for wax removal. Get a good chinnell wash mit. Do not wash them with anything else, and dry on lowest heat available.
You can use a pack of microfiber towels from Costco for the interior. When they get dirty they become great for wheels, then tires, then engine bays. Then toss them.
The only thing cotton towels are good for is stain removal with a steamer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No cotton towels are not good for paint. Get a couple quality microfiber towels not from a parts store or Walmart, something you order. Get a couple for drying, and a couple for wax removal. Get a good chinnell wash mit. Do not wash them with anything else, and dry on lowest heat available.
You can use a pack of microfiber towels from Costco for the interior. When they get dirty they become great for wheels, then tires, then engine bays. Then toss them.
The only thing cotton towels are good for is stain removal with a steamer.
Man i have never known that about cotton towels..I even looked up chamies...been using them for years...guess i will try some micro fiber towels..
I guess i am behind on the times...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Man i have never known that about cotton towels..I even looked up chamies...been using them for years...guess i will try some micro fiber towels..
Yeah microfiber all the way. If it is touching your paint AT ALL then stick to everything Cooper just said. Don't get a cheap brand for painted surfaces. Your paint will get scratched.

·
Registered
119 Posts
sorry for the 21 questions, The whole Microfiber thing is totally new to me..im old school and always had a Chamios, with the microfiber towels, you should use a lube of sorts, like a detail bottle?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts