Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the wear bars on my Goodyear F1s and I can't wait to get rid of them. I've had 2 sets (not that I chose the second set) and have had nothing but balance issues combined with an out of round sound while driving. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with our 90+ days straight of 100+ degree temps in Phoenix... actually I wonder if that has an affect on most of things here. Either way, it's time for a new tire, and i'm absolutely torn.

I've read just about every bit of everything... about every tire that fits on a Focus ST. I strongly considered an UHP all season tire, but couldn't come to terms with it considering we have something like 300 days of sun with little rain in my area. This then brought me to tread life... something I really want in a new tire. I also don't track the car, but have given it serious thought. I'm a "spirited" driver (not the Halloween store) at times as cliche as that may sound. Any way you look at it, my car should be wearing a Summer UHP tire. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.

1. Michelin Pilot Super Sport -

- This tire has been the leader in this category for some time now, and for good reason. Some exotic cars come with this tire from the factory. I could go on and on about this tire, but i'm sure anyone reading this has already read or learned about as much as I have about it. I've seen all of the test videos... dry, wet, worn, track, blah, blah, blah, blah. My only complaint is I've heard many who review the tire state there is a certain resonance to the tire over harsher bumps, and the overall ride is very stiff. This is all subjective, obviously.

- This tire comes in basically an size you want. Roughly $800 /set

2. Continental ExtremeContact Sport -

- This is the upgrade from the ExtremeContact DW tire that was wildly popular. Just look at this thing. They really took this tire to the next level, and that is obvious by the testing. Up against the MPSS, this tire has less ultimate grip, but rides better. They have added some rigidity to the sidewall of this tire because it was thought to be "too soft" by some. This causes a 6% increase in NVH overall with the tire.... probably still not enough to catch up with the MPSS. I'm not sure how these tire will wear, but they look enticing.

- Also in any size. $620 /set

3. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S -

- This tire replaced the MPSS. Now that is saying a lot, like a lot lot. I wasn't sure if you could make a tire better. It has been years, and still no one has a better rep on a Summer tire. After watching this review
you understand a bit more about these tires. Everything about them is apparently better... except steering response at the absolute highest grip threshold. Who would ever notice that? How often are you at ultimate grip... and then go "oh man... this steering response isn't as good as the MPSS?" I'm more worried about not ****ing smashing my car into something. Either way you look at this tire, it's apparently better than the MPSS. Why isn't it a more well know and advertised tire? Why isn't it a well know fact that it's the predecessor to the god that the MPSS is?

- Only available in the 245/40/18 size. $744 /set (Not sure why they are cheaper)

So I then ask the arbitrary question of which ones should I buy? Which would you choose? Is there a reason to spend an extra $200 on the MPSS, or do the MPS4S's really boast the better of the bunch? Should I spring for the 245/40/18 in the MPS4S, or just ride the more tame ExtremeContact Sports? (Although the name doesn't really sound all that tame)

The only set of Summer tires I've ever owned are the Goodyear F1s on the car now, so I don't have anything to compare them to, and any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'd also like to mention that each of the tires here also has a 30k tread-life warranty... but the Conti's have a slightly harder compound at 340 AA, while both Michelin's are 300 AA. Seems like the Conti would last longer naturally.

Thanks,

--Bradley--

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but if you're particularly impatient there is an actual literal mountain of threads and posts on this topic. I'm sure there's a sticky, I haven't needed to look for one yet, but you are certainly not the first person to ask this

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
I've heard people just absolutely go nuts about the godly 4S...coming from MPSS they said it's noticeably better. If it isn't placebo and it is actually noticeably better than the best tire available...then that's awesome. So if the price isn't higher...then there is 0 reason I wouldn't buy the 4S over the PSS

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discount tire direct has a sale on the Conti sport until 31 august. I got mine a set for ~650 shipped, not including $170 in rebate/visa card rebate. Under 500 all said and done.

I had a set of Conti DW and I was NOT a fan of the soft sidewall. Otherwise great tire. The sport is supposed to address that--we'll see how it goes. The sport beats the PSS/4S in value department for sure, which is why I got them.

Tire reviews from everyday consumers like us are tough, because most everyone is going from old, hard, bald whatever tires to something brand new, so of course they are going to feel amazing.

Not sure if you've seen this, but check this out https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for those who replied with useful information.

I ordered a set of the PS4S. Discount Tire has them for $189 /tire right now along with a $100 Labor Day rebate card, and Michelin also has a $70 rebate on the tires as well.

I'll update later to let everyone know how they feel. They will be mounted before the end of the day today.

Cheers!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here is my take on the 4S. Been running 4S since march and I am in LOVE!!!. The spring in Vancouver can be cold, rainy, warm, and sunny all on the same day; the F1s didn't grip rain or shine. Now I can enjoy the car on those odd spring days. When it's wet they hook in 3rd, in the dry they hook in 2nd (car has an intercooler and a tune). Also I could hardly engage the ABS when I am braking HARD with the RS brakes, the F1s engaged the ABS with stock brakes. So for anyone who has that odd ball in between weather definitely look at the 4S.
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel
Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Here is my take on the 4S. Been running 4S since march and I am in LOVE!!!. The spring in Vancouver can be cold, rainy, warm, and sunny all on the same day; the F1s didn't grip rain or shine. Now I can enjoy the car on those odd spring days. When it's wet they hook in 3rd, in the dry they hook in 2nd (car has an intercooler and a tune). Also I could hardly engage the ABS when I am braking HARD with the RS brakes, the F1s engaged the ABS with stock brakes. So for anyone who has that odd ball in between weather definitely look at the 4S.
View attachment 271794
View attachment 271802
And they look so nice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i was going to go with the 4s but a little over my budget , so the ones that ive done research on and that come close to comparison to the super sports are the bridgestone s-04 , ill tell you now i love them, they are good for the summer and they hit corners like a champ! they cost me 800 bucks for all 4 summer tires. 245/40/18s is what i got.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
View attachment 271794
View attachment 271802
Come on man, lets see that seeeexy tread pattern!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also just purchased a set of 4S from DT. $160 off and it looks like Micheline might also give another $70 back. So far the tire is outstanding. Road noise is non-existent, it's comfortable and the grip is amazing (haven't even taken it to the limit). First time Michelin owner an I am impressed. I usually purchase Conti Extreme Contact but couldn't pass up on this deal. I went with 245/40 on stock wheel, I am waiting on some 18x8.5 to come in.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello All,

I promised I would report back.

These tires are absolutely amazing. I've gone through two sets of Eagle F1s, and they don't even compare. I've been on a new and used set of F1s, and the Michelins are like riding on butter. Don't get me wrong, they are still a performance tire, and the car is still harsh riding in general... but the difference is unreal.

Look:

- One of the best looking tires out there. Only available in a 245 so they look meaty on the snowflakes.

Feel:

- Unlike any other tire on any car I've driven. Steering response is tight but light, and just goes where you point it. They are also smoother feeling all around.

Performance:

- Turns are easier to go faster. Highway bends are a walk in the park. Before there were certain bends in the I10 freeway that I would slow down a bit. The F1s felt as if they were doing a pretty decent job without having to try too hard, but the PS4S' just go. No hesitation, no worry, just smooth transitions and grip. I haven't pushed the tires to the limit, but the overall grip level feels much higher.

Road Noise:

- Very noticeably reduced. As mentioned before I've had two sets of F1s, and had nothing but balance issues. This was on multiple machines to include road force balance and happened on both sets of tires. There was a distinct out-of-round sound on the F1s. The PS4S' have eliminated this issue and presented no balance related problems thus far. This includes the fact that Discount Tire balanced the wheels. There was no fancy dealership people or tools involved. Not sure if a Hunter RFB machine was used or not.

Price:

- Let's face it... these tires are going to cost about $900 /set out the door. I got a $100 gift card from Discount Tire for the promotion they were having, but the tires are on the high side of the price scale.

Overall:

- In my opinion this is the most well rounded tire you can buy for an ST. If you are tracking the car than get a softer compound tire for the track, and pick something different for a DD. If you want an all around tire that can do it all, look no further than the PS4S. I will be writing a much more in depth review, but for now this is the skinny.

Thanks,

--Bradley--

·
Registered
926 Posts
I loved my PSS when I had them. My RE71's have very limited life left on them.

Ordered a set of 4S' from Tire Rack for $789 shipped.

Now I just need to get off my lazy butt and get separate rims and tires for autocrossing.....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I picked up a barely used set of the new continentals.
I am very impressed with the tire. Great handling and quiet. I have yet to test the wet weather performance which is supposed to be the tires strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
926 Posts
Pilot Sport 4S:

Nice tight turns. The steering is much much lighter than I remember with the PSS. There is no fuss. I have a nice little turn into my neighborhood. I recall it before being a bit on the rough side of the turn in with the PSS. Nope, not in this case. Little to no road noise.

Down side is that the side wall is very soft. I have a feeling that when pushed the tire will heat up a bit more and you will start to eat the tread up and if you want to have some "spirited driving" the tire won't be the issue but the driver and chassis control. The F1's don't like being warm and they will tell you so because they feel real greasy.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I picked up a barely used set of the new continentals.
I am very impressed with the tire. Great handling and quiet. I have yet to test the wet weather performance which is supposed to be the tires strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are actually more durable than you would think. No rim damage from this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts