Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Many of you may not know of us since we specialize in Honda transmissions. We have been making Honda Carbon Composite Synchros for several years now with great results. Now we are thinking of expanding into the Focus ST market with carbon composite synchros, but I'm not sure if there is enough interest to warrant the tooling and production cost. I'm looking for some feedback to see if we should proceed.

You can find more info on our synchros here: MFactory® Competition Products - Carbon-Composite Synchros

Let me know if you have any questions :)

1) Ocysp
2) eyes4eveST
3) ST2Bullitt
4) Whiteblurrvt
5) ST3 4me
6) leviad
7) Flora
8) jjc034
9) 42ryan42
10) cnitusrj
11) Tokyosmash!
12) SRo
13) LOLMS3
14) SlowestSVT
15) Stealth (x2)
16) PiratesLIFE4ME
17) eyahn
18) B0bD0le
19) HiccaBurp
20) 2014whitest
21) marauder
22) BADWOLF (x2)
23) kevon.myers
24) SouthernMdST
25) naSTy2015
26) StingerGT23
27) amarweb
28) Jones02
29) Turbo Spiker
30) Red
31) Hoodpin1
32) BlindAssassin111
33) TRBO VNM
34) Cali_ST
35) TuxedST
36) Rob13st
37) MatthewAMEL
38) Greenfun13
39) Whiteblurrvt
40) AkiraSieghart
41) 250R
42) Zip651
43) yamahawarrior89
44) pierrebergman
45) BRose
46) Specv1113
47) 2014whitest
48) wheeldeal
49) Unfitproduct
50) Stealth (inc. 15)
51 ) BADWOLF (inc. 22)
52) Ahh Oui, ST
53) David77
54) MMST94
55) w00tgasm
56) Justhere4aday
57/58) lowproki (x2)
59) Bart
60) tmd3500
61) focus13st
62) SirRazgriz
63) pattersonusaf93
64) SoulSwimmer
65) theredx

UPDATE

We have successfully finished testing of our prototype Carbon Synchros, and the production batch should be finished and ready to ship out in a few weeks time.

MSRP will be $349.95 + shipping for the 1st-6th set.

For those who are interested in pre-ordering a set, we can offer you 15% discount off MSRP. This will make them $297.46 + shipping.

Offer ends once the synchros arrive at our warehouse, so if you are interested, please PM me asap.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Looks like a great product. Interested to see what the community thinks. It's hard to say if there will be a demand for these at this point. I'm sure as more people start modding these cars and breaking transmissions, a demand will develop.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
2nd gear sychros are weak in the 2013s. coulda used these a couple months ago before I needed a new trans

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my second trans. Would definitely be interested in the future. Any kinda idea on the price point?
They would probably be around $350-400 MSRP for the 1st-6th set

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd be interested. I have a '13, and my 2nd gear synchro is just about shot. I'm pushing quite a bit of torque, but these things are simply weak.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would also be interested.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just curious what are the pros and cons of a carbon composite set of synchros?

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The function of a synchro is to slow down and stop the gear during shifting, thus allowing you to change into gear.

Think of synchros like a brake pad; the better the friction material, the better it will perform.

·
Registered
978 Posts
What are we talking about in terms of strength? Would there be a torque rating increase assosiated with these?

The transmission is just about the last weak drivetrain part to be addressed for these high hp builds. I think you'd make a killing.

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
What are we talking about in terms of strength? Would there be a torque rating increase assosiated with these?

The transmission is just about the last weak drivetrain part to be addressed for these high hp builds. I think you'd make a killing.
I don't think that synchro's are rated by torque. They are made out of soft brass and as such if they were load bearing they would strip out under stock load from the engine.
Understanding and Analyzing Manual Transmission Failures - Mike's Blog | Rockland Standard Gear

i am most certainly interested in a full set.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Synchros are not rated by torque, no, as they are not under load (not unless you are a bad driver/shifter).

Our carbon-composite synchros will just help slow down your gears faster, thus allowing faster shifting (i.e shorter shift times) and smoother high-rpm shifting.

·
Registered
978 Posts
My bad. I read it thinking it was the gears of the transmission. Wishing reading I suppose. Carry on! I think these will do very well also.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Our carbon-composite synchros will just help slow down your gears faster, thus allowing faster shifting (i.e shorter shift times) and smoother high-rpm shifting.
I believe I understand the performance benefit, but I have a couple of questions. Does the higher friction mean higher temperatures? What is the life expectancy of this synchro compared to stock?

·
The Mod with a Mouth
9,494 Posts
I believe I understand the performance benefit, but I have a couple of questions. Does the higher friction mean higher temperatures? What is the life expectancy of this synchro compared to stock?
A better question is what is the coefficient of friction? And what does Mfactory require us to use for lubricant?

A synchro can last longer than the car it's installed in if not abused by the driver but then if things like a short shifter installed can contribute to shortened life of a synchro. A short shifter may decrease throw but it also alters the time the synchro has to slow down the gears for shifting.

·
Vendor
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's something that I would need to check with the engineer, but for the past several years that we have developed these, we find them to last roughly similar to the oem synchros.

·
Registered
921 Posts
So about 30k miles if they last as long as my second gear. Lol. Looking forward to these! Need an ETA so I can make sure ive got some pocket change laying around. :)

1 - 20 of 292 Posts