Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This isn't meant to be a How To post, but I'll link a few things that helped me along the way. First, here are the parts I used and where I got them...

HARDWARE PURCHASED and USED
Dash Kit
https://smile.amazon.com/Metra-99-5...qid=1515963550&sr=8-1&keywords=metra+99-5843b

Note this particular kit comes with the antenna adapter. If you buy from somewhere else, you'll need to buy the antenna adapter, but it's pretty cheap...usually around $5.

Here's the antenna link just in case you need it.

Antenna Adapter
https://smile.amazon.com/Metra-40-E...&qid=1515963626&sr=1-1&keywords=metra+40-eu10

I wanted to use Android Auto so I needed a spot to run a USB cable. Turns out, there's a Metra piece that replaces the OEM one. Here's the link for that...

USB Port Replacement
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG27XXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please note, if you use this, you'll need an extension cable for every single one of the plugs you intend to use to make the run all the way from the armrest to the radio. I only needed one USB port so I only needed one extension. Fortunately, my radio actually came with an extension so I didn't need to purchase one.

Radio Used
https://smile.amazon.com/Pioneer-AV...ords=pioneer+2300nex&psc=1&smid=AAF51Q3JWARL4

INSTALLATION TIPS
So that's all that you need to replace the factory radio and now let's get into the installation and the links that really helped me.

Here's the video I watched to remove the interior dash area. I'd say pretty spot on with everything.

This link here has how to access the USB hub replacement in the armrest.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-electronics/93641-sync-2-sync-3-upgrade.html

When you are wiring everything up between your aftermarket radio and 99-5843B, follow the instructions provided in the kit very carefully. There are wires that you do not use so pay attention to that. Also, be sure to move over the mounting hardware from the factory faceplate to the Metra one. I used solder, heat shrink, and tesa tape for a solid connection.

I used a windows 10 computer to update the firmware on the actual AXXESS unit. It's the black thing that's about the size of a deck of cards. It's much bigger than the normal ones I've used on other cars. Also you can do a firmware update on the actual faceplate as there's a USB port on there too. For me, there was nothing available for the faceplate, but I was two versions behind on the AXXESS unit.

INITIALIZATION OF AXXESS
You'll want to just have everything laying in there and not buttoned up so you can see the actual flashes. BEFORE plugging in the AXXESS plug in the face plate. Follow the instructions and pay attention to the LED flashes and when the radio should turn off and turn on. Instructions also indicate when you should turn your car on/off so follow that too. Assuming it flashed in the right sequence and turned off/on, don't press anything on your radio. Your SYNC screen should also turn on. At this point, hit the SYNC button on your steering wheel and tell it to play music and pick an input. For me, it went something like, Play Music, USB, Play all. Just to be clear, you are only using your voice. I'm assuming you could pick another source to play music, but I happened to have a USB stick with music handy so that worked for me. At that point everything should be initialized between the steering wheel, your radio, and SYNC. Now the buttons on the actual face plate will start working and you can mess around with your radio and make sure the steering wheel controls work. I know it's sorta tricky, but seriously the only way it would work for me is if I went in those exact steps. The folks at Metra said that SYNC needs to be initialized and working for your steering wheel controls to be live and working. So now I just have it set at Line In all the time. I don't have my phone paired to SYNC as I use my Pioneer for that. I get a quick nag message to pair, but it goes away pretty quickly. I'll post a few pictures.

Nag Message:
1050289.jpg

So it'll just have the "line in" mode in the 4.2" screen the rest of the time.
1050287.jpg

OVERALL OPINIONS
I'd say that overall the kit is good, but not perfect. The mounting area for the air vents isn't exactly as tight as OEM. There's also no silver trim around them. The finish of the face plate is pretty close to OEM though...passable for sure. No HUGE gaps, but it isn't 100% OEM fit. It's good enough for me though. The radio is pretty recessed. You can mess around with it a bit to bring it out, but I was happy with where it was so I left it alone. Others may be irritated. Here's a picture of how deep it looks.

1050286.jpg

The buttons on the face plate are an indigo blue that doesn't really match anything else in the car. I ended up making my radio buttons the same so it won't look too out of place I guess. Would have preferred the option of changing colors here.

1050282.jpg

Here's how it looks with everything off.
1050285.jpg

The buttons on the faceplate look OK, but they are sorta squishy and don't have great feedback. Usable though.

1050284.jpg

Back up camera works with no issues. When someone calls you, the hang up and pick up buttons work on the steering wheel work fine. They skip forward 30 seconds when I'm using my podcast app on Android Auto so that's perfect for me. When in Radio mode, it skips forward presets. Only bummer is you can't remap anything to initialize "OK Google" but I can live without it.

I'm sure I left off some details or wasn't clear somewhere. Please feel free to ask more questions. It wasn't too bad to get it done. Now that I've done one, I'm sure I could knock out another one in about an hour.

Thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was wondering if you could buy a st2/3 dash bezel and mod the screen hole and install a double din radio. I found the dash bezel on eBay $60 and buy the wiring harness and swc. And the factory Sony would be there useless. I really don't need the st1 screen. Just wondering!!!!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The trick with doing that is space... The OEM radio is mounted down below that MFT screen. It's in the same spot on your car where the CD slot is. This is where there would be a big enough hole for a new double din radio to fit once the OEM radio has been removed. Up top the MFT screen and module are very thin and I don't know if there is anything important there that would keep you from being able to cut up the dash to make something fit back there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The trick with doing that is space... The OEM radio is mounted down below that MFT screen. It's in the same spot on your car where the CD slot is. This is where there would be a big enough hole for a new double din radio to fit once the OEM radio has been removed. Up top the MFT screen and module are very thin and I don't know if there is anything important there that would keep you from being able to cut up the dash to make something fit back there.

Also that hole is a lot bigger, you may be able to do something by putting a tablet up there with a lot less work

·
Registered
331 Posts
Still waiting on my dash kit to come in. According to Metra direct it's on backorder. But im also getting it WAY cheaper than Amazon so I won't complain. Thanks for this write up! Im excited about having a decent system in my car again finally!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still waiting on my dash kit to come in. According to Metra direct it's on backorder. But im also getting it WAY cheaper than Amazon so I won't complain. Thanks for this write up! Im excited about having a decent system in my car again finally!
I was in the same boat...I first ordered from onlinecarstereo.com because I think they had it for about $162 or something like that. Then they said it's backordered for 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks go by and then they said it's indefinite. That's when I just ordered from Amazon because the 3rd party seller there said they had it in stock. I definitely paid more, but I just wanted to get it installed.

Glad I did it...been loving the radio ever since.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was in the same boat...I first ordered from onlinecarstereo.com because I think they had it for about $162 or something like that. Then they said it's backordered for 2 weeks. Then 2 weeks go by and then they said it's indefinite. That's when I just ordered from Amazon because the 3rd party seller there said they had it in stock. I definitely paid more, but I just wanted to get it installed.

Glad I did it...been loving the radio ever since.
Ill be getting it for about $130 after all is said and done. No telling how long I will have to wait though lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I've replaced my ST1 radio with the Metra 99-4358B kit and a pioneer Radio. After many attempts to get Sync and the radio to "talk" to one another I called Metra. The first thing the Tech asked was did we let the car sit for up to 30 minutes with the hood up and doors open before removing the battery? I asked the Tech why would you do that? His response was the car was looking for the OEM radio and Sync wouldn't work with out it being cleared. After that step was successfully performed the AXXESS box wouldn't recognize the radio, We worked on resetting the box so many times it was becoming a night mare! What we ended up doing was connecting everything loose, resetting the axxess box and it worked. DO NOT unplug anything because Sync will drop and you will have to start over. I know because we did it 4 more times before we figured it out. The instructions from Metra suck....... They are a guide at best, they leave out very important info and the steps are backwards, It's been running for almost a week now with no issues. My advice is to add your mobile to sync and the after Market radio they will work together fine and you can use both mics. It will also keep 911 connected as a safety reason.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Any advice for me? I'm about to do the install tomorrow using a Sony unit though? I know this is very old but I'm just trying to get some suggestions for the impending install lol..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts