Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing the Brains trust to unite on this one because its got me stumped. I've scoured the forums but cant seem to find something relatable to my issue.

My 14' ST has had this strange metal on metal scraping sound coming from the right side of the vehicle, you would assume its something to do with the brakes....HOWEVER...the sound decreases with revolutions.
The noise is there at no matter what speed I'm doing, doesn't matter if its 20km/h or 100km/h it doesn't get louder, just stays the same but if I'm doing 100km/h and put the clutch in and let the revs drop right down the noise disappears which lends me to believe that it might have something to do with the clutch/bearing assembly.
From what I know the clutch is stock but there are no signs of it on its way out so would be quite annoying if I'm correct.

Any ideas on this one?

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
So if you clutch in at high speed the noise goes away?

is the noise there at idle? Clutch in or out?

If it isn’t that rules out the entire transmission and drive axles. I’d lean to something on the accessory belt, the AC clutch is always spinning, but there’s also the water pump and an idler pulley there too.

I don’t think there’s a tensioner

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
5,267 Posts
Is that something that's running continuously? Dont generally use A/C.
It is common for the AC compressor on these cars to make a light scraping sound when AC is off, but thats RPM dependent and you usually only hear it when you're next to a car or building, as well as when the car is stationary.

Can you get a video of the noise?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if you clutch in at high speed the noise goes away?

is the noise there at idle? Clutch in or out?

If it isn’t that rules out the entire transmission and drive axles. I’d lean to something on the accessory belt, the AC clutch is always spinning, but there’s also the water pump and an idler pulley there too.

I don’t think there’s a tensioner
Yes correct, Clutch in at high speed and the noise goes away, clutch out and it returns immediately.
No noise at idle at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
so its engine speed dependent, I'd check the acessory belt for sure, something in that area may be causing your issue, especially if its on the right hand side.

Also i second the request for a video, that would be very helpful!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is common for the AC compressor on these cars to make a light scraping sound when AC is off, but thats RPM dependent and you usually only hear it when you're next to a car or building, as well as when the car is stationary.

Can you get a video of the noise?
Will test out by switching A/C on when i drive home tonight. Youre spot on that i can only hear it when next to something but i dont hear anything when stationary. Will try get a vid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So turning A/C off and on made no difference. Managed to get a video but its hard to capture the sound clearly but you can faintly hear it. Sounds a lot more prevalent through headphones, the faint hissing/scraping sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just replaced my AC Clutch due to it making horrible noises, then seizing. My post is here: A few issues with my ST I'd like some ideas on please. I'm glad to answer any questions you might have if you think it's related.
Thank you. I see you mentioned that it was'nt affected by RPM where my issue is and my A/C appears to be working perfectly so i think our issues are unrelated.
Im headed to a shop that specializes in Focus' next week to pickup a friend so im going to raise the issue with them to see if they have any idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I should clarify that AT FIRST, it did not seem to be RPM related, but right before the bearing failed, it definitely became RPM related. I definitely am curious about what they track it down to be.

·
Super Moderator
2,198 Posts
So turning A/C off and on made no difference. Managed to get a video but its hard to capture the sound clearly but you can faintly hear it. Sounds a lot more prevalent through headphones, the faint hissing/scraping sound.

I can kind of hear it, your symptoms tell me throw out bearing. But the fact that you hear it on the right hand side throws it off.

if you free rev the car can you get the noise?

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
414 Posts
I can’t tell the noise from the video, had you check the front brake dust shield. It may be touching the rotor. Sometimes you run over something on the road, hit the shield and bend it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts