Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was bored one day and decided I wanted to build a small foundry.

Long story short, it will be dual powered (run on electricity or propane) and be portable and high temperature. Should be able to melt iron with it. Will most likely be doing aluminum 90% of the time and some copper.

I threw this little powerpoint together for an overview. More to come :)

The core of the foundry is 3D printed so I can cast the outer walls and pick up all the important features I wanted, such as the spiral groove for the heater coils and the power ports to power the electrical coils.

I placed the core inside the canister that we are using for the walls. I poured the refractory cement into the gap around the core.

We did the burner test and it works, just needs an air control valve printed, no biggie.

D

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Stop it, I have to many expensive hobbies as it is.

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Stop it, I have to many expensive hobbies as it is.
Most of the people that build these furnaces and post up videos on youtube actually lay out each part they used and it comes out to something under 100 bucks. Unfortunately, those furnaces dont last very long. I broke down and bought the good stuff and really thought this through, but you dont have to go overkill lol

Mine is dual powered as well, which adds to cost and complexity. For cost effectiveness, go with the heater coils, they are like 4 dollars from ebay lol!!

Think about it, bronze age man was melting metals and didnt have home depot or mcmaster. Its not hard, just need to make a lot of heat in a small area :)

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Blacksmithing is in my blood, my Grandfather was a blacksmith. I have a few of his old tools and a small anvil for making very small tools.
I have been wanting a forge and foundry for a few years now.
Building a shop this year, maybe this year is the year!

Reactions: VelossaTech

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Still adding new features, You can see the air control valve that I designed with a plunger type throttle plate that I can use to adjust airflow. I test fired this rig and it roars. I will have videos soon. I will be replacing this valve completely with an RC airplane ducted fan to blow serious air through the burner, this should raise the flame temp as it leans out the mixture. I want to be able to melt iron lol

The walls of the foundry are not pretty, but that was just the start, I cleaned it up once the refractory has set and I broke it in with heat.

I got this book to educate myself a little bit. It's a really fun read for anyone looking to cast their own stuff. :)

This is a more advanced stage of the foundry. I wrapped it in steel sheet and banded it together using stainless steel zip ties. The kao-wool layer is about 1 inch thick, so the steel sheath never gets hotter than 135F when the thing is roaring.

Overall I am super happy with it and I feel that propane is going to be our main source of heat as the electric powered heater coil system is going to be postponed for probably a separate foundry altogether as it was complicating things.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I love the rotating lid set up, very simple but a lot easier than what I've seen most people do which is just pick the lid off with some tongs

Reactions: VelossaTech

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the rotating lid set up, very simple but a lot easier than what I've seen most people do which is just pick the lid off with some tongs
Speaking of tongs, why are there only two kinds? Cheap china crap for 20 bucks on amazon, or 250 dollar tongs from a special online shop. Why are there no in between :(

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Go to the ABANA website, there are links to vendors with reasonable quality tongs in the $50 to $100 range. Centaur Forge and NC Blacksmith supply come to mind. Never tried a foundry set up, but I've been blacksmithing for over 15 years.

·
Vendor
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to the ABANA website, there are links to vendors with reasonable quality tongs in the $50 to $100 range. Centaur Forge and NC Blacksmith supply come to mind. Never tried a foundry set up, but I've been blacksmithing for over 15 years.
I'm roaming through the website right now. Thank you, I had no idea this even existed. I am just a newb amateur at this and I basically googled everything and visited every foundry forum on the first google listing. Unfortunately, I never stumbled upon ABANA during my search. This is concerning to me as I am a perfect candidate to benefit from and give benefit to an organization like ABANA. I wonder why google didn't send them my way through all this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I see you're melting down some literal brass. Nice.

Been watching all kinds of History shows and Youtube on this and forging and welding. Metalwork is absolutely a beautiful trade I wish I had gotten into 15 years ago as a career.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts