Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving along the road today, and came to an astonishing conclusion about my ST. No, it's not the most expensive car I've driven. It's not he fastest. It's not even the quickest. Or the nicest, or most luxurious. It's also not the most high quality and if doesn't have the best sound system. But.....it's my favorite! Out of all the cars I've ever driven, the ST is the one I'd chose to have for the rest of my life. The way it reacts to my commands, handles, and sounds is all perfect. I currently have some ford racing springs, injen intake, mbrp exhaust, shirt shift kit, and some appearnece mods. I've thought about a downpipe and a tune, but I'm worried if I do
this the car won't feel the way it does now. Obviously the tune will make it faster, and maybe it will make it feel different. And maybe that's not what I want. I think I love the way it is now and want to keep it that way. I think a tune would mess it up

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I was driving along the road today, and came to an astonishing conclusion about my ST. No, it's not the most expensive car I've driven. It's not he fastest. It's not even the quickest. Or the nicest, or most luxurious. It's also not the most high quality and if doesn't have the best sound system. But.....it's my favorite! Out of all the cars I've ever driven, the ST is the one I'd chose to have for the rest of my life. The way it reacts to my commands, handles, and sounds is all perfect. I currently have some ford racing springs, injen intake, mbrp exhaust, shirt shift kit, and some appearnece mods. I've thought about a downpipe and a tune, but I'm worried if I do
this the car won't feel the way it does now. Obviously the tune will make it faster, and maybe it will make it feel different. And maybe that's not what I want. I think I love the way it is now and want to keep it that way. I think a tune would mess it up
It'll change the sounds and the feeling of the accelerator for sure...so there's that. But it's all improvements. If you dislike the feeling of the accelerator though, you can get it modified by your tuner of choice to be more like stock.

·
Registered
163 Posts
thats the good part about tuning, is you can manipulate it however you want. obviously with an off the shelf tune, it is what it is, but with a pro tune or custom tune, you can have your tuner set it up to how you want the car to act/feel.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I kinda felt the same way. I felt very confident with the stock setup. Stage 1 didn't really change the dynamics of the car. It's somewhat faster but not over bearing. Maybe ask a local with a tuned car to let you test their car so you could see for your self. Anything over stage 2 then your talking about changing the feel of the car.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Definitely will give your car more throttle response, and more overall power. You'll feel it really pick up a lot better on the low end, but you can control the power with how hard you push the accelerator. IMO it's the best thing I've done to my ST to date.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The best thing about a tune is the rather large torque gain. HP is great but torque is fun.
I can't speak for all tunes of course but my stratified tune gave 40 more foot pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
The mods you have are useless without a tune, they are just confusing the stock ECU and expensive noise makers. The first mod everyone should get is a APv3.

Reactions: Mjf101471

·
Registered
768 Posts
The first mod everyone should get is a APv3.
Seems I've been told the opposite. "IF" you are going to go exhaust, IC, stage whatever, getting a tuner and map is I'll spent money since you'll have to buy new maps after those mods. Guess it just comes down to priorities and planning.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No you don't, if you build your car in a logical way Cobb supplied all the maps you need for free.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
No you don't, if you build your car in a logical way Cobb supplied all the maps you need for free.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
A lot of people actually don't plan on modding out their cars and can benefit from just an accessport alone. The difference, even with the off the shelf cobb maps, is enough to wake the car up and seriously impress you more. Let alone the stock car. All comes down to what you wanna do to your car. If you plan on getting all the parts within a few months (DP, Intercooler, intake, etc) then yeah...it's a reasonable idea to wait before getting the tune and just getting a flash tune specifically for your car/mods. THEN you'll make more power than Cobb tunes, at the expense of having to be patient and wait.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
The mods you have are useless without a tune, they are just confusing the stock ECU and expensive noise makers. The first mod everyone should get is a APv3.
Yes, to this!!!
I learned the hard way. I invested in an MBRP catback, along with a Mountune low restriction intake, AEM dry filter and they did nothing from a performance standpoint. Once I got ahold of an AP3 and a Stratified Flash tune, the car became much more fun to drive. I recommend getting the AP before any other engine/performance mods.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yep, APV3 first. Cobb has canned tunes for stage 0-3 with 91 and 93 octane versions of each, the best part is that they are all free. If you want more customization or more power you can go with a custom tune. Custom tunes aren't all that expensive to upgrade as you go, i have had a stage 1 stratified tune for a few months, but recently made the jump to stage 3. The revision for the tune was $70 with all the bells and whistles that strat offers. That is not a horrible price to pay compared to the thousand dollars in hard parts to justify the need for a tune revision.

Reactions: airborne
1 - 13 of 13 Posts