Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I messed up today. Trying to install the redline goods shift boot, and while it looks to be good quality, I broke a piece during installation. I've attached some photos. As you can see in the photos, I probably can't drive my car with the broken bits. Any ideas on what I should do?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yeah I'd glue it real good and try to find a cheap replacement part maybe for a few bucks and swap it out. The piece that's broken looks to be the part of the unit that has a raised edge to grab ahold of the spring that pulls it back down.

How did you break it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'd glue it real good and try to find a cheap replacement part maybe for a few bucks and swap it out. The piece that's broken looks to be the part of the unit that has a raised edge to grab ahold of the spring that pulls it back down.

How did you break it?
I think I must've broke it when I was removing that piece from the old boot. I guess I just wasn't being careful enough

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts

How did you break it?
The only way to get that piece is the buy the entire shifter. Thanks Ford.

Sent from another garage.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
The only way to get that piece is the buy the entire shifter. Thanks Ford.

Sent from another garage.
Ouch...fighting to get more money out of us modders any way they can.

Find a part out car and offer him $5?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I think I must've broke it when I was removing that piece from the old boot. I guess I just wasn't being careful enough
It's a really easy piece to break. I put a hairline crack in mine when installing my boot. As others have said, you should be able to glue it without negative impact afterward.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Sounds like glue it together and instead of a cheap piece I'd order the OEM replacement from Ford. Something as important as my shifter-even just getting in reverse- is important enough for me to buy the real thing, or an improvement if someone makes one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I almost broke mine as well. It twists off, most people try to pry it off. Can't order just that part either. You would have to order the whole assembly from Ford. Like others said, glue it back together.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've cracked mine before as well while switching boots. Methinks this would be a great candidate to replace with a nice, machined (AKA stronger) piece? Hint hint aftermarket manufacturers?

Reactions: jam360nml

·
Registered
548 Posts
I broke mine also, And yes you have to order the whole setup

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really starting to get mad now. I got it glued together, but now it won't slide back onto the shifter, and it broke into even more pieces. I'm now glueing it again. I really wish I hadn't bought this product. Maybe then I'd actually be able to drive my car tomorrow. Now I don't know what I'm going to do

·
Registered
660 Posts
Really starting to get mad now. I got it glued together, but now it won't slide back onto the shifter, and it broke into even more pieces. I'm now glueing it again. I really wish I hadn't bought this product. Maybe then I'd actually be able to drive my car tomorrow. Now I don't know what I'm going to do
You can still drive it. Just keep the shift boot off and screw the knob on top. If you have to shift into reverse, just pull up on the black piece that locks you out of reverse. Make sure when you shift back into first the black piece slides back down and locks reverse out properly.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Who's the guy that makes the 3D printed stuff on the forum?
Get him on this STAT!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
You got to pay to play! Sorry had to do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts